M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Small jolt when slowly rolling to a stop

08-01-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Small jolt when slowly rolling to a stop

Hi all, has anyone felt a sudden jolt when rolling to a stop slowly or letting off the brakes to idle forward and then slowly stopping? You’d feel it when about to come to a stop. I read some things about a comfort stop feature but wanted to see if others have seen it before having the dealer look at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Nothing on my end
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
__AD__254.00
      08-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Nothing on my end
Nor mine. Plus, I use auto hold so there is no idling forward but rather intentful light pressure/gas on the throttle.
Appreciate 1
__AD__254.00
      08-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #4
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Most noticeable when stopped in traffic, letting off the brake a little bit to about 2 mph and then slowly stopping again. I’ll let the dealer know.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by __AD__ View Post
Hi all, has anyone felt a sudden jolt when rolling to a stop slowly or letting off the brakes to idle forward and then slowly stopping? You’d feel it when about to come to a stop. I read some things about a comfort stop feature but wanted to see if others have seen it before having the dealer look at it.
Maybe related, but I feel (and hear) a jolt when I park and turn off the engine while I still have my foot on the brake. I've also thought I could feel a slight jolt when braking, like something was binding and then freed up.

My X6 did it too, but I have no idea what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Maybe related, but I feel (and hear) a jolt when I park and turn off the engine while I still have my foot on the brake. I've also thought I could feel a slight jolt when braking, like something was binding and then freed up.

My X6 did it too, but I have no idea what it is.
There’s something I could find on older model forums called comfort braking which throws it in neutral right before coming to a stop. It does feel like a disengagement of some sort, kind of like if you’re stopped at a light and throw the gear selector in S and shift between 1 and 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:47 AM   #7
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

It's the shift back into first gear. This happens in comfort and sport modes (never had it happen in sport plus), but it's more prevalent in comfort mode.
The car likes to stay in second gear a lot a low to almost stopped speeds, but will jolt back into first gear depending on situations it deems fit.

It's a lot smoother when adaptations have recently been reset. But gets worse after a couple thousand miles or so. Coming to a stop quickly repeatedly will make.it.happen after a little while

My E63 can sometimes get obnoxious with it, sounds way worse than my M8. But it's not always there
Appreciate 1
__AD__254.00
      08-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #8
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
It's the shift back into first gear. This happens in comfort and sport modes (never had it happen in sport plus), but it's more prevalent in comfort mode.
The car likes to stay in second gear a lot a low to almost stopped speeds, but will jolt back into first gear depending on situations it deems fit.

It's a lot smoother when adaptations have recently been reset. But gets worse after a couple thousand miles or so. Coming to a stop quickly repeatedly will make.it.happen after a little while

My E63 can sometimes get obnoxious with it, sounds way worse than my M8. But it's not always there
Thanks for the confirmation!
Appreciate 0