BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2019 850i C

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hood

So I opened my hood for the 1st time since I purchased my car and then closed it again. It now doesn't close at all on the passenger side. I opened and tried closing it again several times. I know how to open/close the hood on BMW's, but this is absurd. Anyone else ever have the same issue? I will assume at some point I will need to schedule a service appointment so it can get fixed and/or adjusted. Brand new car with less than 200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCARGUYM5X5 View Post
So I opened my hood for the 1st time since I purchased my car and then closed it again. It now doesn't close at all on the passenger side. I opened and tried closing it again several times. I know how to open/close the hood on BMW's, but this is absurd. Anyone else ever have the same issue? I will assume at some point I will need to schedule a service appointment so it can get fixed and/or adjusted. Brand new car with less than 200 miles.
Yes. Do NOT push on it once it's down and improperly shut. Rather pick it back up--and here's the technical terminology so you may need to look this up -> slam the shit out of it.

My GC leaves a gap on the driver's side every time. The tech at my local dealer explained what's happening and why it requires just a bit more force than you're probably comfortable with--I recall I bought the explanation but don't recall the specifics...
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Yes. Do NOT push on it once it's down and improperly shut. Rather pick it back up--and here's the technical terminology so you may need to look this up -> slam the shit out of it.

My GC leaves a gap on the driver's side every time. The tech at my local dealer explained what's happening and why it requires just a bit more force than you're probably comfortable with--I recall I bought the explanation but don't recall the specifics...
I slammed it hard a few times and still no luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh. Sorry. Sounds like a dealer visit with a face mask and gloves is in your near future.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh. Sorry. Sounds like a dealer visit with a face mask and gloves is in your near future.
Yes unfortunately ... good news is I've had the car for 1-1/2 months and it's only left my garage 5 times. Not looking forward to that deal visit.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Slam it as hard as you possibly can - it is counterintuitive.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Slam it as hard as you possibly can - it is counterintuitive.
I said the same but I'm not sure how far to go with the emphasis just in case it's something else.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yes - slam the shit out of it - is the perfect tag.

My own experience is that I did slam the shit out of it. And then I said to myself one last try - this time slam it as hard as you possibly can - and it closed.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I agree. You have to close it with more force than seems reasonable.

Also agree that pushing on it would not be a good idea.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes - slam the shit out of it - is the perfect tag.

My own experience is that I did slam the shit out of it. And then I said to myself one last try - this time slam it as hard as you possibly can - and it closed.
Ugh, I did the same... it's just hard to convey the appropriate level of force.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      03-30-2020, 11:03 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I agree. You have to close it with more force than seems reasonable.

Also agree that pushing on it would not be a good idea.
Quote:
Ugh, I did the same... it's just hard to convey the appropriate level of force.
So this confirms that my 2020 M850i with a hood that closes smoothly without force is just a fluke on BMW's part vs a difference between the 2019s which all had the "slam it like no tomorrow" feature to get the hood closed properly.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-30-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
I found the best way is to use both hands and spread them out while slamming the hood so that it's level when closing it. When I only use one hand it seems like it doesn't close evenly on both sides.
Appreciate 3
WCH347.00
Ozzie8641.00
      03-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da808dad View Post
I found the best way is to use both hands and spread them out while slamming the hood so that it's level when closing it. When I only use one hand it seems like it doesn't close evenly on both sides.
Awww, man--it is sooooo not a good sign that it takes so many of us so many descriptions to try to close the hood completely. Sadly, this is precisely what I do now... and with vigor.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2020, 01:25 AM   #14
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

You're not alone - check out 16:07 here lol

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I too have the same problem quite often. I've found the best way is to position my hands above the locks on each side of the hood and slam down full force.

for first time, open hood 100%, and line up hands where the two locks are. then close about 50-60%. then in that spot the hood should kinda rest open. then Position your two hands about where the locks are and TOGETHER synchronize closing the hood applying full force in the final 30% close evenly on both hands.

if you apply too much force from full open, it bounces open. if you apply too little force it won't close both sides evenly. It takes finesse. it's more of an art than a skill at least for me.

P.S. I'm embarrassed to say, my wife can close it everytime, perfectly each time.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I too have the same problem quite often. I've found the best way is to position my hands above the locks on each side of the hood and slam down full force.

for first time, open hood 100%, and line up hands where the two locks are. then close about 50-60%. then in that spot the hood should kinda rest open. then Position your two hands about where the locks are and TOGETHER synchronize closing the hood applying full force in the final 30% close evenly on both hands.

if you apply too much force from full open, it bounces open. if you apply too little force it won't close both sides evenly. It takes finesse. it's more of an art than a skill at least for me.

P.S. I'm embarrassed to say, my wife can close it everytime, perfectly each time.
Good news!!!! I followed everyone's advice and slammed it this morning. Low and behold it closed!! Thank you all for the secret sauce!
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
Ozzie8641.00
      03-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

Good news!!!! I followed everyone's advice and slammed it this morning. Low and behold it closed!! Thank you all for the secret sauce!
Hahaha. BMW and finesse are apparently unrelated.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 12:52 AM   #18
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

I had this same issue but I figured it out. It's not just a slam; it requires a slam AND follow-through.

I open the hood, bring it about 2 feet from close, and with my hands on the top of the hood, I will drive the hood down as hard as I can AND upon impact, I will continue the force with my the palms of my hand towards the floor. You feel the latching when you do this.

Just like playing tennis - need a good follow through!
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #19
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
chador that made me laugh out loud!

I have gone to the offical BMW 8 Series Owners Handbook and below are the instructions for closing the bonnet/hood.

CLOSING
Allow the bonnet to drop from a height of approximately 50 cm, 20 in.
The bonnet must engage on both sides.

I have taken the liberty of merging limeypride's and chador's descriptions into new closing instructions. I have submitted these to BMW.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CLOSING
Slam the shit out of it.
And please follow through all the way to the floor.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 4
      04-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have gone to the offical BMW 8 Series Owners Handbook and below are the instructions for closing the bonnet/hood.

CLOSING

I have taken the liberty of merging limeypride's and chador's descriptions into new closing instructions. I have submitted these to BMW.

CLOSING
Slam the shit out of it.
And please follow through all the way to the floor.
Hahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Appreciate 2
      04-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #21
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

CLOSING
According to BMW's own literature above, we shouldn't need to slam the hood, as it should close just by dropping it from 20 inches...add the fact only one side doesn't latch means they're just not properly adjusted from the factory. This type of stuff makes engineers cringe.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 01:28 AM   #22
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
RJC-1 BMW issued an update

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709316
Appreciate 1