M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 M850i Engine Sound Settings

03-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
2020 M850i Engine Sound Settings

Through a couple of other threads we have now established that the 2020 M850i's have an engine noise setting within iDrive that does not exist for the 2020 M8's. It is still not confirmed whether it exists on the 2020 840i's but my guess is it doesn't. Hopefully, a M840i owner can confirm or set the record straight that it does.

I had a light morning work wise with just a couple of priority meetings (limeypride they were with the Azure BOT team discussing the Healthcare BOT they worked with the CDC regarding COVID-19). So to do my part this afternoon in self-quarantine mode (I was in Mexico the week before last) I decided to spend a couple of hours in the M850i which included my first few attempts at launch control on some isolated roads in North Scottsdale. I forgot to utilize Drive Recorder so will do a repeat this weekend and post that experience.

To the point of the thread I discovered an unexpected outcome of the iDrive settings for engine noise. I had assumed it only controlled the fabricated sound pumped into the cabin through the audio system (all coming from the speakers on the platform behind the non-existent rear seats). As previously posted, I have left it in the default "Depending on driving mode" setting with just a couple of quick tests in the "Reduced" setting which definitely almost completely eliminates the fabricated engine sound through the audio system.

However, in my more extensive testing today I have fully confirmed that in the "Reduced" setting it overrides my Sport Individual driving mode with everything set to Sport minus the chassis/suspension set to Comfort (given my normal commute to work is primarily on surface streets). Apparently "Reduced" mode will force the engine/transmission settings into "Comfort" mode as through my testing I could not force a burble on demand nor did they emit when the transmission downshifted with both set to Sport.

This revelation makes sense as to BMW's logic to not provide the setting on M8s as no M8 owner will want it to override their M1/M2 settings, etc. Frankly in my mind it is a useless feature in the M850i outside of the default "Depending on driving mode" as I live in the Individual Sport setting but may switch to Comfort mode on a highway road trip which at that point the engine/transmission settings are already reduced.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 03-20-2020 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Through a couple of other threads we have now established that the 2020 M850i's have an engine noise setting within iDrive that does not exist for the 2020 M8's. It is still not confirmed whether it exists on the 2020 840i's but my guess is it doesn't. Hopefully, a M840i owner can confirm or set the record straight that it does.

I had a light morning work wise with just a couple of priority meetings (limeypride they were with the Azure BOT team discussing the Healthcare BOT they worked with the CDC regarding COVID-19). So to do my part this afternoon in self-quarantine mode (I was in Mexico the week before last) I decided to spend a couple of hours in the M850i which included my first few attempts at launch control on some isolated roads in North Scottsdale. I forgot to utilize Drive Recorder so will do a repeat this weekend and post that experience.

To the point of the thread I discovered an unexpected outcome of the iDrive settings for engine noise. I had assumed it only controlled the fabricated sound pumped into the cabin through the audio system (all coming from the speakers on the platform behind the non-existent rear seats). As previously posted, I have left it in the default "Depending on driving mode" setting with just a couple of quick tests in the "Reduced" setting which definitely almost completely eliminates the fabricated engine sound through the audio system.

However, in my more extensive testing today I have fully confirmed that in the "Reduced" setting it overrides my Sport Individual driving mode with everything set to Sport minus the chassis/suspension set to Comfort (given my normal commute to work is primarily on surface streets). Apparently "Reduced" mode will force the engine/transmission settings into "Comfort" mode as through my testing I could not force a burble on demand nor did they emit when the transmission downshifted with both set to Sport.

This revelation makes BMW's logic to not provide the setting on M8s as no M8 owner will want it to override their M1/M2 settings, etc. Frankly in my mind it is a useless feature in the M850i outside of the default "Depending on driving mode" as I live in the Individual Sport setting but may switch to Comfort mode on a highway road trip which at that point the engine/transmission settings are already reduced.
bimmercode for the win!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've only launched twice in about 1 year. so you need to get a gopro camera or something and show us!

drive recorder works? we don't have it on the 19. I've seen some posts, I guess it 20 seconds?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Agreed as with it one can cut out the fabricated engine noise but not impact the overall drive mode engine/transmission settings. The latter was eye opening to me as I had assumed the settings only dealt with the fabricated engine noise. I bought the M850i for the glorious V8 which I want to hear at all times so an engine noise setting in iDrive that overrides what I want is absolutely useless.

Quote:
I've only launched twice in about 1 year. so you need to get a gopro camera or something and show us!

drive recorder works? we don't have it on the 19. I've seen some posts, I guess it 20 seconds?
Drive Recorder works flawlessly with 20 seconds pre/post triggering it. For a zero to 60 launch in roughly 3.3 seconds it will most certainly capture the glorious event.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed as with it one can cut out the fabricated engine noise but not impact the overall drive mode engine/transmission settings. The latter was eye opening to me as I had assumed the settings only dealt with the fabricated engine noise. I bought the M850i for the glorious V8 which I want to hear at all times so an engine noise setting in iDrive that overrides what I want is absolutely useless.

Quote:

Drive Recorder works flawlessly with 20 seconds pre/post triggering it. For a zero to 60 launch in roughly 3.3 seconds it will most certainly capture the glorious event.
for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:

I feel compelled to apologize up front for my behavior and I acknowledge that scolding is necessary -->

"I laugh at your girly 3.3 seconds!"
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

I feel compelled to apologize up front for my behavior and I acknowledge that scolding is necessary -->

"I laugh at your girly 3.3 seconds!"
No apologies needed in advance as if I too owned a glorious M8C I'd snicker at 3.3 seconds as well. I'm happy with the 3.3 as it beats the pants off of everything else I seriously considered over the past several years that lead up to the purchase outside of a Tesla S P100D.

The journey started with a C7 Grand Sport as a Corvette was my childhood dream and back in 2017 I could get a smoking deal through my employer at the time supplying Garret turbos (which we ultimately spun off in 2019) to the smaller 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines in GM's lineup. Problem was I couldn't see out of the damn car if my life depended on it.

So I shifted to high performance coupes/sedans which ran through evals of AMG C63s, Audi RS5, Lexus LC500 and the fore mentioned plan on a M5 evaluation that turned into a wait and see on the 8-serious as I truly wanted a coupe vs a 4-door.

Truth be told I almost did hold off on the M850i purchase until further details were available on the C8. The decision not to do so solely rested on the fact I knew its interior would never have the luxury I desired. Glad I made that as although GM has stepped up the interior its still not where I'd want it to be. The rear-view sight line issue is no longer a problem given that the rear view mirror is actually rendering an image from a cluster of cameras on the back-end. However, Car and Driver have confirmed that the overall sight lines from the driver seat have not improved so I'd be screwed anyway.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50