BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion ssd

03-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

ssd

so how do I store stuff on the hard drive, and what data formats can I store and use play back on my 2019 m850i ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
so how do I store stuff on the hard drive, and what data formats can I store and use play back on my 2019 m850i ?
Check the B&W Settings thread for one of my posts which includes all of the file formats BMW states as supported. That said we all know FLAC is supported and AIFF appears to be hit and miss.

Regarding the internal 40GB drive you can load a lot of any format on it but if you have a large catalog I shared an Amazon link to a proven SSD that will run off the USBC in the center console. It is comes in 500GB and 1TB options. I went with the latter as in my home audio setup I have over 4TB of lossless FLAC/DSF I either ripped from my DVD Audio/SACD catalog or purchased from HDTracks and Pro Studio Masters.

Still looking for a solution to convert DSF tracks to FLAC as the iDrive system does not recognize the latter. SONORE has an open source solution that appears promising with some initial testing although the end result is not lossless for the FLAC files produced.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Check the B&W Settings thread for one of my posts which includes all of the file formats BMW states as supported. That said we all know FLAC is supported and AIFF appears to be hit and miss.

Regarding the internal 40GB drive you can load a lot of any format on it but if you have a large catalog I shared an Amazon link to a proven SSD that will run off the USBC in the center console. It is comes in 500GB and 1TB options. I went with the latter as in my home audio setup I have over 4TB of lossless FLAC/DSF I either ripped from my DVD Audio/SACD catalog or purchased from HDTracks and Pro Studio Masters.

Still looking for a solution to convert DSF tracks to FLAC as the iDrive system does not recognize the latter. SONORE has an open source solution that appears promising with some initial testing although the end result is not lossless for the FLAC files produced.
thanks. I had a lot of mp3 files in 2000, but I guess a lot has changed in 20 years.

I guess I could hook my laptop up via usb to the internal HD? but it's a 17" desktop style laptop, and kinda heavy. maybe I need a new laptop! it's circa 2012. my desktop is pre-2010.

everything is on my 3 cellphones (android, apple, and old work one) and 2 iPads (old work and home). but maybe I can download something on my cellphone and connect it to the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I make my own drives but purchase a Samsung T series and you won't regret it. The 512GB or 1T is plenty and you can store an incredible amount of music even HD Hires files on one. I have a pair of 2T drives in a SSK enclosure using Samsung m.2 drives (honestly the best SSDs are made by Samsung as is their memory). It is small and i have 2T drives you can find them on Amazon or even eBay if you know what to look for.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
I make my own drives but purchase a Samsung T series and you won't regret it. The 512GB or 1T is plenty and you can store an incredible amount of music even HD Hires files on one. I have a pair of 2T drives in a SSK enclosure using Samsung m.2 drives (honestly the best SSDs are made by Samsung as is their memory). It is small and i have 2T drives you can find them on Amazon or even eBay if you know what to look for.

Noushy
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
thanks
If you need some recommendations message me

Noushy
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Noushy
Kudos as I normally do the same for my home system which is built on custom storage enclosures and an opensource NAS platform to stream movies/TV Shows via PLEX to the surround processor and high resolution audio directly to the DAC. For the M850i I got lazy and went for an OOTB solution.

Can you share the enclosures your using for the Samsung SSD drives? The reason for asking is based on threads in the 5 series forum I went with OOTB with one miss before the Crucial hit given the controller logic in the enclosure will dictate comparability with the iDrive system. From at least my experience the controller needs to be agnostic, i.e., support Linux as well as Windows/Mac OS or the iDrive system would not recognize it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks. I had a lot of mp3 files in 2000, but I guess a lot has changed in 20 years.

I guess I could hook my laptop up via usb to the internal HD? but it's a 17" desktop style laptop, and kinda heavy. maybe I need a new laptop! it's circa 2012. my desktop is pre-2010.

everything is on my 3 cellphones (android, apple, and old work one) and 2 iPads (old work and home). but maybe I can download something on my cellphone and connect it to the car?
Anything you can connect to the USB in the car (USB-A port near the charging pad or USB-C in the console) that the iDrive system recognizes can be used to transfer music to the internal hard drive.

My experience with this was a standard USB-A thumb drive I used for the initial audio comparisons against H&K vs B&W in the dealers spec cars. Since I had about 30MBs of FLAC files on it I had the M850i import them to the internal hard drive. Everything else is running of the console SSD and as previously shared it is a 1st class citizen when it comes to the BMW Assistant recognizing commands to play albums/tracks on it vs the internal hard drive.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

So my recommendation if you want to go home brew is a Samsung PM981 m.2 drive and they can be found for $300 for 2T and less for 1T or 512GB. I used an SSK enclosure which is sleek but cooling is ok, I had an Intel 660p fail and not sure it was that case. Link is here SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVME PCI-E M-Key Solid State Drive External Enclosure (Fits only NVMe PCIe 2242/2260/2280) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNFH1PX..._gK3zEbKMYNPD0 but I found this enclosure although larger to be better for cooling if you put it in the closed armrest SHINESTAR NVME Enclosure, Based on USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to PCIe Gen 3 x2 Bridge chip, Include 2 USB Cables, Fit for Samsung 970/960 EVO/PRO/WD Black NVME SSD, Hot Swap, Plug and Play https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9VQ4XC..._NL3zEbQB35571 but amazon says currently out of stock. I am sure there are others. I would buy this if you want something prebuilt as they never fail and are fast enough to copy lots of data to. Samsung (MU-PA1T0B/AM) T5 Portable SSD - 1TB - USB 3.1 External SSD , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H552FJ..._RM3zEbD8Y0MSJ

Noushy
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So my recommendation if you want to go home brew is a Samsung PM981 m.2 drive and they can be found for $300 for 2T and less for 1T or 512GB. I used an SSK enclosure which is sleek but cooling is ok, I had an Intel 660p fail and not sure it was that case. Link is here SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVME PCI-E M-Key Solid State Drive External Enclosure (Fits only NVMe PCIe 2242/2260/2280) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNFH1PX..._gK3zEbKMYNPD0 but I found this enclosure although larger to be better for cooling if you put it in the closed armrest SHINESTAR NVME Enclosure, Based on USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to PCIe Gen 3 x2 Bridge chip, Include 2 USB Cables, Fit for Samsung 970/960 EVO/PRO/WD Black NVME SSD, Hot Swap, Plug and Play https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9VQ4XC..._NL3zEbQB35571 but amazon says currently out of stock. I am sure there are others. I would buy this if you want something prebuilt as they never fail and are fast enough to copy lots of data to. Samsung (MU-PA1T0B/AM) T5 Portable SSD - 1TB - USB 3.1 External SSD , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H552FJ..._RM3zEbD8Y0MSJ

Noushy

Thanks for the detailed information! During my research I had read that a few enclosures over heated in the X5 consoles so will target the SHINESTAR when I want to finally get more of my High Resolution FLAC sources into the M850i beyond my current 1TB Crucial SSD. My catalog is built on all 24-bit/192kHz files which take up more space but designed for the DAC in my home audio gear.

From what I've read in the X5 and 5-series forums there is a theory that the 24-bit/192kHz gets down sampled in the iDrive system to 16-bit/44.1kHz. I'm not sure I buy into that theory unless BMW has included a pretty powerful CPU into the iDrive system (which generates heat they need to deal with) as I hear zero dropouts, etc. during the playback of my FLAC sources.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy

Thanks for the detailed information! During my research I had read that a few enclosures over heated in the X5 consoles so will target the SHINESTAR when I want to finally get more of my High Resolution FLAC sources into the M850i beyond my current 1TB Crucial SSD. My catalog is built on all 24-bit/192kHz files which take up more space but designed for the DAC in my home audio gear.

From what I've read in the X5 and 5-series forums there is a theory that the 24-bit/192kHz gets down sampled in the iDrive system to 16-bit/44.1kHz. I'm not sure I buy into that theory unless BMW has included a pretty powerful CPU into the iDrive system (which generates heat they need to deal with) as I hear zero dropouts, etc. during the playback of my FLAC sources.
I have about 20TB of music between CD quality, up to 24/192 and DSD. And yes I own 3 aurenders with the largest having 24TB of storage and a NAS with 144TB of storage and my home system costs more than my M8!

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have about 20TB of music between CD quality, up to 24/192 and DSD. And yes I own 3 aurenders with the largest having 24TB of storage and a NAS with 144TB of storage and my home system costs more than my M8!

Noushy
We're definitely kindred souls with the love for cars and audio. My home audio is a piddly fully loaded 5-series but it makes me smile from ear-to-ear everything I fire it up. Over the past 15 years I've focused mostly on my horology vice and sad to say I lost the bidding war on the Genus GNS1.2 I was going after over the last couple of months. My ceiling based on an easy 2X appreciation beyond it in the upcoming years was surpassed by others so I dropped out.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #13
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
We're definitely kindred souls with the love for cars and audio. My home audio is a piddly fully loaded 5-series but it makes me smile from ear-to-ear everything I fire it up. Over the past 15 years I've focused mostly on my horology vice and sad to say I lost the bidding war on the Genus GNS1.2 I was going after over the last couple of months. My ceiling based on an easy 2X appreciation beyond it in the upcoming years was surpassed by others so I dropped out.
Aww no kidding. It took me years to amass this system and you would love my fully loaded MSB Premiere DAC with all the upgrades. It's the crown jewel of an amazing Sonus Faber McIntosh system
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Aww no kidding. It took me years to amass this system and you would love my fully loaded MSB Premiere DAC with all the upgrades. It's the crown jewel of an amazing Sonus Faber McIntosh system
Jealous! I'm running NAD Master Series components and 20 year old Klipsch speakers from when they were hand made vs the BS today with sales in Best Buy, etc. The Klipsch are literally collectors items now and have had several probes to purchase them via Audiogon but no matter what speakers I've tried over the past 10 years (B&W, Martin Logan, Sonus Faber, etc.) nothing can touch the Klipsch for my core hard rock and jazz catalog.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 03-10-2020 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

does anyone know if you can download from Netflix or Amazon music or video to a thumb drive. to install on the bmw drive?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #16
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Jealous! I'm running NAD Master Series components and 20 year old Klipsch speakers from when they were hand made vs the BS today with sales in Best Buy, etc. The Klipsch are literally collectors items now and have had several probes to purchase them via Audiogon but no matter what speakers I've tried over the past 10 years (B&W, Martin Logan, Sonus Faber, etc.) nothing can touch the Klipsch for my core hard rock and jazz catalog.
You should really try Focal, best of both worlds and perfect for loud rock. Mine do ok but I have REL Gibraltar subs...

Noushy
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You should really try Focal, best of both worlds and perfect for loud rock. Mine do ok but I have REL Gibraltar subs...

Noushy
Thanks for the tip on Focal and will check if any of my local audio dealers I have a relationship with carry them as that way I get to do an in home audition. From a subwoofer perspective when one of the pair of trusted Velodynes kicked the bucket about 18 months ago I ended up with a pair of SVS 16-Ultras. I auditioned a few different subs from one of my local dealers along with one 16-Ultra sent delivered to the house with full return capabilities. For price per performance the 16-Ultra won hands down so I drove the other ones back to the dealer and ordered the 2nd SVS.

I believe the RELs have a remote as well but one feature I really liked on SVS is it's Bluetooth remote capabilities via their Smart Phone app. The other subs auditioned did not have that capability and its a godsend as I have several dialed in presets, e.g., movies (set for reference standard paired to the Dirac room calibration of the NAD M17), rock, jazz, Reggaeton (this one is for the wife which cranks up the bass), etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #18
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
Thanks for the tip on Focal and will check if any of my local audio dealers I have a relationship with carry them as that way I get to do an in home audition. From a subwoofer perspective when one of the pair of trusted Velodynes kicked the bucket about 18 months ago I ended up with a pair of SVS 16-Ultras. I auditioned a few different subs from one of my local dealers along with one 16-Ultra sent delivered to the house with full return capabilities. For price per performance the 16-Ultra won hands down so I drove the other ones back to the dealer and ordered the 2nd SVS.

I believe the RELs have a remote as well but one feature I really liked on SVS is it's Bluetooth remote capabilities via their Smart Phone app. The other subs auditioned did not have that capability and its a godsend as I have several dialed in presets, e.g., movies (set for reference standard paired to the Dirac room calibration of the NAD M17), rock, jazz, Reggaeton (this one is for the wife which cranks up the bass), etc.
Correct the Rels have remotes. As for Focal check and see. If you want special pricing PM me and I will see what I can do for you from my dealer.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

even video in motion in a $150,000 convertible m850i doesn't keep my baby interested.

Sorry pictures upside down, don't know why.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
even video in motion in a $150,000 convertible m850i doesn't keep my baby interested.

Sorry pictures upside down, don't know why.

You are dealing with the toughest consumer market segment. Too young to appreciate the car as at that age a car is a car. Just wait as the clock winds forward and the teenager years hit and all the arguments as to why a cool car is required.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
But your baby has the perfect head of hair for an 850 convertible! The air will move the hair, but the curls will largely keep it all in place.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
But your baby has the perfect head of hair for an 850 convertible! The air will move the hair, but the curls will largely keep it all in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
indeed!!
Appreciate 0