M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 M850i GC Piped in engine noise

03-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #23
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Thanks all for introducing me to bimmercode. Had never heard of it. Have ordered an adapter so will be in action soon!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Thanks all for introducing me to bimmercode. Had never heard of it. Have ordered an adapter so will be in action soon!
sure, if you have questions email them and they respond quickly. but if they don't, message me and I'll try to help.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      03-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
@bloozemanAZ I think you mean this menu: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25679948

which my 2019 m850i definitely does NOT have as an option. I got the latest software update directly from the dealership and it's not even an option or selection.

But bimmercode did let me turn if off. but I can only go off or on.
Correct and I was going by memory calling "dynamic" as the equivalent to "depending on driving mode". My wife's school is closed this week for Spring Break so we've been in Mexico since Saturday morning as per my pledge to her that with my new semi-retirement gig we're going to enjoy life more vs the 60+ hour weeks of my past existance.

Perhaps the 2020s are more refined than the 2019s on the fabricated engine noise regardless of the menu. Ozzie8 had an absolute bug in his original iDrive release that made the engine noise go wild to the point of taking over the audio system. Beyond that BMW F'up I guess we can chalk up the like or dislike of the fabricated engine sound as a personal preference. Thankfully with Bimmercode its a simple toggle on or off regardless of the support from BMW in the iDrive system.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@Wristdoc
Lambo and Ferrari have said they will shift to EV but continue to make some v12s etc. basically continued but not upgraded or developed.
Off topic but Friday evening while taking my wife to dinner I stated "the world has now come to an end". My wife of course asked what the hell was I talking about. To that inquiry I pointed out the Lamborghini Urus next to us at a stop light. She knows my last hurrah in the automobile world will be a Lambo as well as how I somewhat despise the death of sports cars and coupes to the SUV market mindset. With Ferrari getting into the game in 2021 as well the last bastions of the sports car world have now all succumbed. Just may be me personally but I find that somewhat sad.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Which I'm okay with because I'm often riding with my 2 year old daughter who makes plenty of noise of the backseat!!
With a 2-year old in the back seat whom the hell needs fabricated engine noise to drown out that unique view of the world?
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      03-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
@Wristdoc
Lambo and Ferrari have said they will shift to EV but continue to make some v12s etc. basically continued but not upgraded or developed.
Off topic but Friday evening while taking my wife to dinner I stated "the world has now come to an end". My wife of course asked what the hell was I talking about. To that inquiry I pointed out the Lamborghini Urus next to us at a stop light. She knows my last hurrah in the automobile world will be a Lambo as well as how I somewhat despise the death of sports cars and coupes to the SUV market mindset. With Ferrari getting into the game in 2021 as well the last bastions of the sports car world have now all succumbed. Just may be me personally but I find that somewhat sad.
yep, my thoughts exactly. I love sports cars and coupes. Although in our area there are tons of Ferrari and Lamborghini and Bentley. and BMW has said they will keep making coupes, convertible and "sports cars". BMW is and will be the last one, I think.

with that said I've seen a bunch of Urus in our DMV area (mostly in MD or west and south of me, but in the general area). And while I bought my 2019 m850i off the lot last June, there was a large part of me that wanted the Urus instead.

If my wife had been with me or had an input, she would have picked the Urus over the m850i.
Given my growing family, my next car after the m850i, might be a Urus. nothing else comes close to it, except maybe the full M x5m competition one.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yep, my thoughts exactly. I love sports cars and coupes. Although in our area there are tons of Ferrari and Lamborghini and Bentley. and BMW has said they will keep making coupes, convertible and "sports cars". BMW is and will be the last one, I think.

with that said I've seen a bunch of Urus in our DMV area (mostly in MD or west and south of me, but in the general area). And while I bought my 2019 m850i off the lot last June, there was a large part of me that wanted the Urus instead.

If my wife had been with me or had an input, she would have picked the Urus over the m850i.
Given my growing family, my next car after the m850i, might be a Urus. nothing else comes close to it, except maybe the full M x5m competition one.
Same here in the Scottsdale area with the Bentley's, Ferrari's and Lambo's plus a bunch of McLaren's as well. SUV wise I like the Cayenne and had looked at a Turbo about 6 years ago but decided against it at the time.

Now that we're somewhat a BMW family I could easily see a X5M/X5MC as a possibility. I almost bought the V8 5L back in December of 2016 for my wife's X5 but since it's her daily driver just couldn't justify the uptick in cost. If it was going to be my daily driver the decision for the V8 would have been a no brainer as well as the B&O audio upgrade (beyond the H&K I optioned in the first place).
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #30
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Same here in the Scottsdale area with the Bentley's, Ferrari's and Lambo's plus a bunch of McLaren's as well. SUV wise I like the Cayenne and had looked at a Turbo about 6 years ago but decided against it at the time.

Now that we're somewhat a BMW family I could easily see a X5M/X5MC as a possibility. I almost bought the V8 5L back in December of 2016 for my wife's X5 but since it's her daily driver just couldn't justify the uptick in cost. If it was going to be my daily driver the decision for the V8 would have been a no brainer as well as the B&O audio upgrade (beyond the H&K I optioned in the first place).
Quote:
Quote:

We are more alike than you know. I'm shopping for an x5 for my wife right now and we've decided she doesn't need anything bigger than a 6 cylinder, maybe a turbo 4 for her needs. So we're looking at a couple, but the x5 40i is top of the list.
For me that v8 is mandatory. And I like BW systems, definitely worth the 3.5k upgrade. I just wish it cost the 700 the HK does instead of over 3k.

We don't seem many McLearans around here. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 every year or so. And it's probably the same one or two. But we get tons of Porsche, and our house is near the 2 major Porsche dealerships in the area.
If it wasn't for everyone warning me about horrible maintenance with Porsche, I'd rush to buy one. But now that they are fancy VW, with twice the cost to own of a BMW, I'll lean towards an x5 v6 for the wife and an x7 m50 for our family bus. To go with my M850i convertible.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #31
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We are more alike than you know. I'm shopping for an x5 for my wife right now and we've decided she doesn't need anything bigger than a 6 cylinder, maybe a turbo 4 for her needs. So we're looking at a couple, but the x5 40i is top of the list.
For me that v8 is mandatory. And I like BW systems, definitely worth the 3.5k upgrade. I just wish it cost the 700 the HK does instead of over 3k.

We don't seem many McLearans around here. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 every year or so. And it's probably the same one or two. But we get tons of Porsche, and our house is near the 2 major Porsche dealerships in the area.
If it wasn't for everyone warning me about horrible maintenance with Porsche, I'd rush to buy one. But now that they are fancy VW, with twice the cost to own of a BMW, I'll lean towards an x5 v6 for the wife and an x7 m50 for our family bus. To go with my M850i convertible.
I think you'll be very happy with the X5 40i. I bought my wife the X5 35i which has plenty of power and is incredibly smooth. In fact both of our driver profiles has it in ECO mode so it shuts off at traffic lights and when you lift your foot off the brake the engine comes to life with zero shake, etc. I've also learned how to keep it from shutting off when approaching stopped traffic at a light when I know it is about to change.

The H&K in the X5 is pretty satisfying for the $700 price point. I was never able to audition a B&O at the time but can only imagine that the B&W will be amazing in the new X5s but if your wife is not an audiophile it may be $3500 in overkill. Plus the $3500 will buy a lot of gas over the next year or so to come.

McLaren wise every time I take the M850i to my detailer for a maintenance wash there is at least one if not two 720s getting something done. They seem to be the super car of choice in the area these days with everyone keeping up with the Joneses. For me I'd take one of their hand me down Lambos.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 03-10-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #32
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think you'll be very happy with the X5 40i. I bought my wife the X5 35i which has plenty of power and is incredibly smooth. In fact both of our driver profiles has it in ECO mode so it shuts off at traffic lights and when you lift your foot off the brake the engine comes to life with zero shake, etc. I've also learned how to keep it from shutting off when approaching stopped traffic at a light when I know it is about to change.

The H&K in the X5 is pretty satisfying for the $700 price point. I was never able to audition a B&O at the time but can only imagine that the B&W will be amazing in the new X5s but if your wife is not an audiophile it may be $3500 in overkill. Plus the $3500 will buy a lot of gas over the next year or so to come.

McLaren wise every time I take the M850i to my detailer for a maintenance wash there is at least one if not two 720s getting something done. They seem to be the super car of choice in the area these days with everyone keeping up with the Joneses. For me I'd take one of their hand me down Lambos.
yeah I tested a few x5. they seem just like my m850i except bigger. there wasn't much of a difference of the 6 vs 8 cylinder, except when we got out of traffic on open road, passing, or acceleration from a red light. otherwise, they're basically the all same as our 850.
Appreciate 0