M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 M850i GC Piped in engine noise

03-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Firstm31993
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

2020 M850i GC Piped in engine noise

Anyone experience piped in engine while driving the M850i? Does the noise come in the cabin to the point that it's annoying?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

yes, yes and yes. I used bimmercode to deactivate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstm31993 View Post
Anyone experience piped in engine while driving the M850i? Does the noise come in the cabin to the point that it's annoying?
Active noise circuit comes through speakers. There are many posts about it.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

from what I understand it's basically a microphone in the engine bay. it amplifies the noises through the speakers inside.

If I had the basic or HK system maybe it wouldn't be a problem, but on the BW sound system = it's really loud and fake sounding. Also when I'm stuck in traffic it seems to capture echo and reverberate the mufflers in front of my m850i. when it's a truck or such, it really sounds bad and makes my speakers crackle and pop in bad way.

I'm afraid it might damage my speakers in DC traffic, also I don't like it fake sounds; I disabled it with the $30 bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Firstm31993
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
from what I understand it's basically a microphone in the engine bay. it amplifies the noises through the speakers inside.

If I had the basic or HK system maybe it wouldn't be a problem, but on the BW sound system = it's really loud and fake sounding. Also when I'm stuck in traffic it seems to capture echo and reverberate the mufflers in front of my m850i. when it's a truck or such, it really sounds bad and makes my speakers crackle and pop in bad way.

I'm afraid it might damage my speakers in DC traffic, also I don't like it fake sounds; I disabled it with the $30 bimmercode.
I test drove a M850i GC w/ the HK.
Maybe I didn't drive long enough to hear the noise?
Was this fake noise designed to make the engine sound impressive beyond it's normal sound?
Tell me more about using the Bimmercode?
I'm sure the issue would've have been a deal breaker?
I'm ordering first week in April.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
ashandger
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Quote:

Many thanks for sharing this info. It's beyond belief that BMW could be sooooo stupid to do this to B&W system which most buyers would select for it's music reproduction quality! Really sad to see BMW management approving this. Glad you found a way to disable it and hopefully it doesn't create any warranty issues.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
Many thanks for sharing this info. It's beyond belief that BMW could be sooooo stupid to do this to B&W system which most buyers would select for it's music reproduction quality! Really sad to see BMW management approving this. Glad you found a way to disable it and hopefully it doesn't create any warranty issues.
This isn’t news and many companies are doing this. BMW has been doing this for years and so has Mercedes and Audi, etc...
Mercedes does it on their lower end cars and some only on startup (outside, not piped into the cabin).
Although it is not great that they are doing it on their M cars.

I am not clear though if this isn’t even synthesized sound rather than mic.

Last edited by Wolfman64; 03-06-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Interesting as I do not have this experience at all in my 2020 M850i. As I just posted on a separate thread from an inquiry by Firstm31993, I've played with the settings and even at dynamic (or something along those lines indicating that it is tied to the driving setting, e.g., comfort vs Sport) it is never over bearing whatsoever.

Keep in mind that I'm usually at 50% volume at a minimum as that is where the B&W opens up the sound canvas. Even at that any fake engine noise never over takes the musical soundscape. In fact if anything regarding fabricated engine noise is portrayed it is coming from the 2-way (midrange and tweeter) mounted on the platform behind the rear seats. The core musical experience is all happening with the center mid/tweeter, front doors mid/tweeter, rear seat mid/tweeter and the subs under the seats. Perhaps they refined it in the 2020s?
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      03-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
This isn’t news and many companies are doing this. BMW has been doing this for years and so has Mercedes and Audi, etc...
Mercedes does it on their lower end cars and some only on startup (outside, not piped into the cabin).
Although it is not great that they are doing it on their M cars.

I am not clear though if this isn’t even synthesized sound rather than mic.
According to Car & Driver it is synthesized and not true engine noise. They gave kudos to Lexus for using a membrane technology to allow the engine noise to make its way into the LC500 cabin without fabrication nor overbearing results.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
For shits and giggles installed Bimmercode on my Pixel 3XL but apparently I need a module to interface with the car. There are several that support the G series with Bluetooth support. Any advice on which one to pick?
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
For shits and giggles installed Bimmercode on my Pixel 3XL but apparently I need a module to interface with the car. There are several that support the G series with Bluetooth support. Any advice on which one to pick?
Quote:
hey, it's the most expensive but it was only $70 when I bought it last August. I like that it has all the functionality even though I just use it for bimmercode.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6..._nOWyEbTKJV11W
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hey, it's the most expensive but it was only $70 when I bought it last August. I like that it has all the functionality even though I just use it for bimmercode.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6..._nOWyEbTKJV11W
Thanks! Although it's going for $120 now given the recommendation just placed my order thanks to Prime free shipping and returns.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Was this fake noise designed to make the engine sound impressive beyond it's normal sound?

Re: Yes, it was designed to make the car roar and sound louder. it wasn't a dealbreaker but once you turn it off, you'll notice the difference and think BMW is almost cheating customers to think they have a bigger engine.

Bimmercode is an app. you download and you can see all the stuff it does. Pay something like $30 plus $70+ for an adapter and you can code your own car.

Once you've got it, plug it into the OD2 port underneath the steering column on the left side, sort of where the clutch would be in a three peddle, but more towards the door frame. then open the app and connect it to your phone. Make sure your phone is in airplane mode with just bluetooth on and only bluetooth to the OBD2 link.

Once you've got that, it will scan your car and you can open one module at a time. Each one has a few options (like seatbelts warnings or settings), make the changes you want and then hit "Code" and it makes a backup and codes that new module. takes 10-15 minutes each time.

If you do code the Active Sound Design Noise off; you'll thank me later for a quiet cabin.
if you dont like it off, you can always turn it back on with restoring a back up on Bimmercode; and/or a dealership refresh.

https://bimmercode.app/cars/g15/
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, every one is doing it now because of EV cars and regulations on mufflers and exhausts.

My dealership said Bimmercode is safe because it doesn't change anything mechanical (engine, etc). And I know this because when they did the latest recall update on mine, they wiped and replaced all my settings and coding in under 1 hour with no comments or complaints.

took me another hour to recode all the bimmercode stuff. but it's just software on a computer. not engine or hardware, doesn't damage anything. It's like installing apps on your phone. doesn't void the Samsung or Apple warranty or violate anything with ATT, Verizon or Sprint.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting as I do not have this experience at all in my 2020 M850i. As I just posted on a separate thread from an inquiry by Firstm31993, I've played with the settings and even at dynamic (or something along those lines indicating that it is tied to the driving setting, e.g., comfort vs Sport) it is never over bearing whatsoever.

Keep in mind that I'm usually at 50% volume at a minimum as that is where the B&W opens up the sound canvas. Even at that any fake engine noise never over takes the musical soundscape. In fact if anything regarding fabricated engine noise is portrayed it is coming from the 2-way (midrange and tweeter) mounted on the platform behind the rear seats. The core musical experience is all happening with the center mid/tweeter, front doors mid/tweeter, rear seat mid/tweeter and the subs under the seats. Perhaps they refined it in the 2020s?
Quote:
Quote:

maybe they fixed it in 2020, or maybe you don't have gridlock traffic in DC heat like we do. Either way, if you do code it off, let me know if you hear a difference.
bloozemanAZ
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! Although it's going for $120 now given the recommendation just placed my order thanks to Prime free shipping and returns.
Quote:
Quote:

yep, I bought mine through amazon too! Hope you enjoy it! let me know!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
maybe they fixed it in 2020, or maybe you don't have gridlock traffic in DC heat like we do. Either way, if you do code it off, let me know if you hear a difference.
bloozemanAZ
We don't have the same gridlock traffic here in Phoenix compared to DC but I sit at stop lights along the way and have not experienced what you have. Granted I've only had the 2020 M850i since December and our temps now are in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Perhaps when we hit the 110s plus the game may shift.

That said I have heard a difference when selecting the "reduced" setting but once again it only seemed to minimize the fabricated engine noise seemingly coming from the speakers in the platform behind the rear seats. Frankly, I turned it back to dynamic as fabricated or not I like the way it sounds given it is unobtrusive to the core B&W musical landscape. Then again when I truly want to relish in the true sound of the engine/exhaust I just roll down the windows. Can enjoy that for now but once June/July/August hit no dice at 100+ degrees.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
bloozemanAZ
We don't have the same gridlock traffic here in Phoenix compared to DC but I sit at stop lights along the way and have not experienced what you have. Granted I've only had the 2020 M850i since December and our temps now are in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Perhaps when we hit the 110s plus the game may shift.

That said I have heard a difference when selecting the "reduced" setting but once again it only seemed to minimize the fabricated engine noise seemingly coming from the speakers in the platform behind the rear seats. Frankly, I turned it back to dynamic as fabricated or not I like the way it sounds given it is unobtrusive to the core B&W musical landscape. Then again when I truly want to relish in the true sound of the engine/exhaust I just roll down the windows. Can enjoy that for now but once June/July/August hit no dice at 100+ degrees.
I'm not sure if I have a "reduced settings" in my 2019. But in any event I'll warn you if you like the noise, you want to keep it on and not code it off (or at least backup and 'un'code it.

Because without even in a convertible with windows up, it's super quiet inside!
Now once I turn on the radio it open the windows, drop the top, I can of course hear the engine. But even in a soft top with everything up, I can't hear the engine at all with Noise Active off. 0 engine sounds in the "cockpit". Which I'm okay with because I'm often riding with my 2 year old daughter who makes plenty of noise of the backseat!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

And with BimmerCode, it's only less than 30 minutes to turn it off or on code or uncode.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #20
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

Quote:

I agree completely with both of these comments. So much is made of this "piped in" sound but the fact is that with modern sound dampening, many manufacturers, including Porsche, have gone to the electronic enhancements to improve the driving experience.

I disabled the active engine sound in my X6 M and found the experience less than satisfying. Yes, the cabin was extremely quiet, but that was the problem. No engine/exhaust feedback. I had the B&O upgraded sound in it, and now have the B&W in the M8C.

I really question how many critics of this system have actually driven the car. The criticism is way overblown, in my opinion...
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      03-07-2020, 12:30 AM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

@Wristdoc I think it comes down to personal taste. Do you want bank vault or party machine? Are you buying the acoustic glass or sound damper or custom mufflers with exhaust tips.

My best friend is a computer guy and he noticed it right away after 2 minutes in my M850i. My wife took about 10 minutes before she complained.

Personally, I like it off because it's our extra 4th car, it's a convertible and I only use it the summer with top down. So with the top down I can hear it, and if it's raining or traffic or I don't want it; I can close the windows and top: and it's like a bank vaults pin drop quiet.

I'd probably feel differently if it was my daily driver or even a coupe. But especially if it was an M8 or m8comp, if I paid extra $20-60k, I'd like to hear the extra engine sounds.

I just wanted to buy a v8 engine convertible with at least 500 hp, 500 torque for under $120k BEFORE they outlaw v8 engines and go all electric.

Like yesterday Mercedes announced they are going all EV and small engines. Same with Lexus, Infiniti, and others. No more v8, v10, v12s. Nothing bigger than a 4 cylinder with maybe a v6or i6 and EV.
Porsche and BMW are the only 2 that have said they will keep making big engines. With R&D and bigger more hp and more torque.
Lambo and Ferrari have said they will shift to EV but continue to make some v12s etc. basically continued but not upgraded or developed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:39 AM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

@bloozemanAZ I think you mean this menu: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25679948

which my 2019 m850i definitely does NOT have as an option. I got the latest software update directly from the dealership and it's not even an option or selection.

But bimmercode did let me turn if off. but I can only go off or on.
Appreciate 0