M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion I got a chance to go over the M8, M8 convertible and M850i Grand Coupe in one day.

10-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I got a chance to go over the M8, M8 convertible and M850i Grand Coupe in one day.

I went over all three cars in depth yesterday.

M850i grand coupe in sapphire black /red interior was a stunner.
The backseat of the M850i GC was adequate for my kids but the head room was terrible for my 6’2” size. Trunk space was also a dealbreaker as it would never hold my family’s luggage on our yearly winter trip to Miami. The M850i is a big car with a long sexy hood but its interior dimensions mimic all the other eight series. This means it doesn’t feel as roomy as a vehicle this size would be. Its not a family car and more of a 2 person vehicle with rear seats for for just occasional weekend use. This car lacked the glass shifter and I really missed that option compared to the alternative it had. Rear side and rear window shade controls in the rear doors are magnificent. They look up scale but not in your face to where you accidentally bumped them. The rear side window shade glides up and down from its recessed panel. With the shade down you can’t even tell there’s a lid hiding the shade tucked away under its leather panel. The rear cupholders also look upscale with aluminum trim instead of basic black plastic. It’s the little details I notice in this car that stands out.
Out of the 3 cars, this one spoke to me the most.

The M8’s 4 rear exhaust pipes looked great and about the size of a 40oz beer can. It fit the scale of the M8.
The average person will not be able to tell the difference between the M850i and the M8 Competition. Obviously as a BMW owner and more importantly a M Competition owner the differences jumped right out at me because I am looking for them. The car is sexy as hell. It’s aggressive but not mean looking. Perhaps not as mean looking as others would want at the top of the M pyramid. 20” wheels look right and fill the wheel arches perfectly. 21” would be too big in my opinion. This one was in Alpine white. I think Carbon Black in full shadowline trim would be the perfect color. The rear seats were useless and smaller than my last 911’s rear seats. That is bazaar in a car this size. I know it has a decent truck but BMW should have been able to scarf up for 4 inches back there as it has no leg space if the driver is 6’ and up.

The M8 convertible has its own look. I can’t say I’m a convertible fan but it feels and looks more like a Gentlemans weekend car. I didn’t care for the Dravit grey color this car wore. The coupe line and rear haunches give it a more aggressive look than the convertible. Although dropping the top would solve a lot of the claustrophobic feel I get from the 8 series in general

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-16-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I was a bit surprised when I first got into the M850i G15 Coupe and realised just how small it was, 1" of legroom has been lost compared to the F13 6 series and headroom has dropped from 35.7" to 33.6" in the Coupe. The lack of headroom is a bigger thing for me as I can't have my head upright in the M850i rear seats and it is very uncomfortable.

The Gran Coupe for both F06 and G16 generations has enough legroom front and rear and headroom is about the same, 37" in the F06 and 37.1" in the G16. I think it is ok for me at 5'10" as my head just touches on the roof but at your 6'2" I could imagine you'd feel like me in the G15 which really isn't tolerable for very long at all.