M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #1145
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Can someone post what their pull-up routine is, # of sets and reps ? (grip style, and where it falls in that days workout)
I follow a different plan then most as I do a modified Westside Barbell workout. So my back days alternate. 1 workout for thickness and 1 workout for width.

But on Width day, I start with pull-ups. My programming might have me doing 8 sets of 3 reps with 50lbs hanging from me one time, and then 6 sets of 5 reps with 25lbs hanging......followed by doing them with just my bodyweight for as many reps as I can get with a 1 minute rest between sets. Those are called EMOM (Every Minute On the Minute) sets. Only when I fail to get 5 reps is that one giant set over and I move on to other exercises.

As far as grip style, I use an overhand grip. Also I put my arms out to the side, elbows at a 90° angle so my forearms are straight...and that is the grip width I use. Similar grip to a bench press but I'm pulling instead of pushing.

That's where I find I'm strongest at.

Also....it's an exercise you don't see a lot of people do, but if you have a pull-over machine..we have a Nautilus one....it's an awesome exercise for building width if you using your elbows to force the bar down and contract the lats...then get that extreme stretch back up at the top!
      09-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #1146
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
At a cross road just like every year around this time. Don't want to fully commit to bulking as I don't want to put on the extra weight... Also have weddings, travel, a move, and job change coming up so I don't know if I will be able to get all the proper lifts in... *sigh* May have to put it off until the middle of October
I wouldn't worry about it. Just hold course and start in October. It will still give you plenty of time to accomplish what you want. Plus by putting it off longer, your body will be more receptive to partitioning those calories where you want them anyway as your insulin sensitivity will be so good.

Then by the time you are ready to cut again...you will be in a pretty good position!
      09-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #1147
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Also....it's an exercise you don't see a lot of people do, but if you have a pull-over machine..we have a Nautilus one....it's an awesome exercise for building width if you using your elbows to force the bar down and contract the lats...then get that extreme stretch back up at the top!
That was one of my favorites, but haven't seen once since college days ELBOWS is the key!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #1148
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Why should I NOT use a snorkel? I'm drowning 25 yards at a time, I still have to stop at each end of the pool and catch my breath. I've tried to slow down each lap, but I just can't get there yet. I do series of free and breast strokes, and it takes me almost 45 minutes to complete 1100. I do this every third work-out day now.
Sounds like a technique issue. I relax while I'm swimming. Try some hand paddles and short swim fins to see if they help. Learn to glide and stretch out to make the swim more efficient. 1200 yards take me about 30 minutes. A mile takes me about 45 (sometimes 40mins). Nothing wrong with using a snorkel if that make it easier for you. I like the Finis hand paddles. They create a lot more work for your shoulders.

Another thing worth looking into is the book, "Total Immersion." I found it really helped my swimming.

https://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersi...s%2C355&sr=8-1

FWIW, I've done up to a three hours swim. (Reminds me of Gilligan's Island).

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 09-10-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #1149
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Back day! so this morning I was at the gym and had a pretty awesome back workout. towards the end of my workout there's this pretty cute chick that I'm friends with was doing flat bench press and she asked me to spot her since she was lifting more than she normally does. she had 35's on each side and she was able to rep out 2 of them. i was impressed and she really wanted to know if she can do 135lb and I told her go for it! now this chick is pretty cute like I mentioned but not only that she loves to wear just a sports bra and her gym shark yoga pants. she's a redhead and stands only 5'1 and probably weighs oh I dunno 110lbs? maybe 115? anyways i'm spotting her and i'm sorta distracted cause i'm staring down her abs to her crotch to where I can clearly see the outline of her thong. It was killing me as I can clearly see her snatch. I mean...it was camel toe action! i'm hoping she didn't see me staring but anyways she was able to get one complete rep and as I help her rerack the barbell she jumps up and hugs me with excitement but i'm hugging her with my ass out just so she doesn't feel my crotch as there would have been a surprise for her. anyways, I thought it was a very interesting workout this morning. thank god it's Whackoff Wednesday tomorrow!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #1150
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

^lmao got a kick out of the end of that
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #1151
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Great I get a shot out when dudes whack off. My life has gone wrong.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
UncleWede17874.00
      09-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #1152
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Back day! so this morning I was at the gym and had a pretty awesome back workout. towards the end of my workout there's this pretty cute chick that I'm friends with was doing flat bench press and she asked me to spot her since she was lifting more than she normally does. she had 35's on each side and she was able to rep out 2 of them. i was impressed and she really wanted to know if she can do 135lb and I told her go for it! now this chick is pretty cute like I mentioned but not only that she loves to wear just a sports bra and her gym shark yoga pants. she's a redhead and stands only 5'1 and probably weighs oh I dunno 110lbs? maybe 115? anyways i'm spotting her and i'm sorta distracted cause i'm staring down her abs to her crotch to where I can clearly see the outline of her thong. It was killing me as I can clearly see her snatch. I mean...it was camel toe action! i'm hoping she didn't see me staring but anyways she was able to get one complete rep and as I help her rerack the barbell she jumps up and hugs me with excitement but i'm hugging her with my ass out just so she doesn't feel my crotch as there would have been a surprise for her. anyways, I thought it was a very interesting workout this morning. thank god it's Whackoff Wednesday tomorrow!
So what you are really saying is that during your workout...you really had a good pump going?
      09-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #1153
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So this morning was shoulders and arms. I have been experimenting with various exercise combinations for biceps...and came up with a sequence I think works pretty good. One of you guys should give it a try and see what you think.

1st exercise - Some type of curl where your elbows are physically behind the plane of your body. Like Incline Bench DB curls, Drag Curls, and one I like is the ISO Cable machine where I can step forward and kind of lean over. The curl starts with my arms pulled back behind my body stretching the biceps, and the finished position still has me with my biceps contracted, but my elbows are behind me.

This works the long head of the biceps very effectively.

2nd exercise - Some type of curl where your elbows are in front of you body. Something like preacher curls, spider curls, etc and keep your grip more narrow than normal.

This works the short head of the biceps.

3rd exercise - any type of Hammer curl as this works the brachialis muscle. Most people don't know it, but the brachialis muscle has a larger cross-sectional area than the biceps. This muscle will elevate the peak of your biceps, and when your body fat is low enough... you can see it as a golf-ball looking bump between you biceps and triceps on the side of your arm. It makes your arms look thicker when viewed from the front. Hammer curls are great for it, but I have an exercise that I was taught years ago that really isolates them.

By bringing your shoulders overhead, you can really isolate this muscle. Imagine standing in front of the Lat Pulldown machine....but instead of the long bar you have a cable curl bar on it. You just simply reach up, grab the bar, and curl it downward trying to reach behind your head for peak contraction. Do this at the end with lighter weight and higher reps to finish off your biceps. The pump is crazy!

Sorry for the long post...but this is my PSA for today. If you try this out, be sure to post your thoughts on what you think of it.

I have only started doing this for the last 3-4 weeks...and I can see a difference already.
      09-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #1154
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So what you are really saying is that during your workout...you really had a good pump going?
It's the only muscle that seems to grow
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #1155
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Beginning to cut today. Mixing intermittent fasting with a decreased calorie count. Anyone have any good tips for cutting?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #1156
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Great I get a shot out when dudes whack off. My life has gone wrong.
.....or has it??? All depends on how you look at it.

Congrats anyway, men masturbate on a specific day and think of you. You can never say you haven't done anything with your life.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #1157
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

That makes it even worse bro
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #1158
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Beginning to cut today. Mixing intermittent fasting with a decreased calorie count. Anyone have any good tips for cutting?
I started mine last week. I'm doing the same as you. I don't eat past 4:00 p.m. other than pre-workout, whey protein and recovery, 1800 caloric intake, 30 minutes of cardio on lift days and 1 hour of cardio on my off days. The small amount of chub I put on during the my short bulk is dropping fast. I may cut a little longer than I had planned to get as lean as possible before I bulk again.

I'd also like to thank Rmtt for some solid advice. By no means am I huge, but definitely seeing results. Getting leaner and seeing more muscle mass in a short period of time. I catch people staring at the veins, popping out of my forearms, like they are boobs or something.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #1159
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That makes it even worse bro
You know I'm only F'ing with you
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #1160
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I started mine last week. I'm doing the same as you. I don't eat past 4:00 p.m. other than pre-workout, whey protein and recovery, 1800 caloric intake, 30 minutes of cardio on lift days and 1 hour of cardio on my off days. The small amount of chub I put on during the my short bulk is dropping fast. I may cut a little longer than I had planned to get as lean as possible before I bulk again.

I'd also like to thank Rmtt for some solid advice. By no means am I huge, but definitely seeing results. Getting leaner and seeing more muscle mass in a short period of time. I catch people staring at the veins, popping out of my forearms, like they are boobs or something.
Your doing all the work man. That's what I love about bulking and cutting. You bulk until you tend to "spill over", and then cut until you like what you see. All it does is prime the body for the next bulk cycle even if you are alternating between the two frequently.

It's a lot healthier too. Your A1C levels will start trending downward, and anytime you can increase insulin sensitivity...you tend to partition extra calories when bulking into the muscle more readily. And as time goes by you start to build up some insulin resistance and your body will eventually get to where it doesn't care where it deposits excess calories...it's just going to store them.

The way I look at it...it's a marathon. Might as well look good while you are doing it!
      09-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #1161
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Not big on the intermittent fasting craze, don't like the idea of putting my body in a catabolic state. To each their own though.

I'll give the bicep rotation a try tomorrow Rmtt.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #1162
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
A good caloric deficit and intense workouts should be all you need amigo. Best tip I have is just to stay diligent and try not to cheat. When it comes down to it cutting is just a little test of will power. Don't let the fact that you're cutting become an excuse for performing less in the gym, try to keep your expectations high and bust your ass
Appreciate 1
Shiza1193.00
      09-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #1163
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Kinda annoyed this morning during my shoulder workout. I use my phone with the timer to let me know when 60 sec between sets have passed and I dunno but usually I keep to myself but today I was interrupted 3 times by guys just wanting to shoot the shit. I would glance at my timer and see that freakin' 3 minutes have passed and this mofo wants to talk about his work? After 6 minutes I literally had to interrupt him and say sux to be you and I'll talk to you later. Not more than 10 minutes go by and this new gym trainer whose skinnier than shit decides to interrupt me in the middle of my set and says he thinks it would be a great idea if he trains me. I said with a straight face "Seriously?" I told him without sounding like a dick "first of all dude gym etiquette you never interrupt anyone in the middle of their set! Yet alone stand in front of me where you can get injured from me smacking you with these dumbells!" The last one I can't get mad cause she was hot and wearing yoga pants so she gets a pass
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #1164
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kinda annoyed this morning during my shoulder workout. I use my phone with the timer to let me know when 60 sec between sets have passed and I dunno but usually I keep to myself but today I was interrupted 3 times by guys just wanting to shoot the shit. I would glance at my timer and see that freakin' 3 minutes have passed and this mofo wants to talk about his work? After 6 minutes I literally had to interrupt him and say sux to be you and I'll talk to you later. Not more than 10 minutes go by and this new gym trainer whose skinnier than shit decides to interrupt me in the middle of my set and says he thinks it would be a great idea if he trains me. I said with a straight face "Seriously?" I told him without sounding like a dick "first of all dude gym etiquette you never interrupt anyone in the middle of their set! Yet alone stand in front of me where you can get injured from me smacking you with these dumbells!" The last one I can't get mad cause she was hot and wearing yoga pants so she gets a pass
Half pissed off myself just reading the first two. 6 minutes are you kidding me, although I see people flapping their gums all the time at my gym. Spend that time working out and maybe they'd see a little progression. Guys haven't changed a lick in the last year an a half i've been at my gym. I think those at my gym have gotten aware that I'm not there to conversate haha
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      09-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #1165
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
she jumps up and hugs me with excitement but i'm hugging her with my ass out just so she doesn't feel my crotch as there would have been a surprise for her. anyways, I thought it was a very interesting workout this morning. thank god it's Whackoff Wednesday tomorrow!
So what you're saying is that thanks to moddie, you are going to start training commando?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #1166
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Not big on the intermittent fasting craze, don't like the idea of putting my body in a catabolic state. To each their own though.

I'll give the bicep rotation a try tomorrow Rmtt.
Cool. On that 3rd exercise....you can also do them with a single handed curl attachment. That allows you even more flexibility to get the contraction behind your head....almost to your neck. At the end it kind of looks like you are starting a standing French press with your palms facing towards your back...or even towards your ear if you find you feel it better that way.

But it will contract so hard....it will almost cramp on you!