M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Cerium Eradication Complete

03-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #23
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Is the Cerium trim not so nice in-person? It looks good in the pics. :
In all honesty by the time the Shadowline parts and carbon fiber mirror caps arrived at my dealer the Cerium totally grew on me and I was liking it. I think the original shock of just another BMW snafu on my 2nd order sent me over the top when the cover was pulled off the M850i in the receiving bay. I literally stood there in shock and said to my CA the exterior trim was wrong. I think you could hear a pin drop after that statement before my CA went into action.

I also had more than one co-worker whom came to check out the car in my office parking lot state they liked the Cerium (or as described by them "brushed chrome") and weren't so sure about swapping for black. In the end I'm totally happy with the final result but could have easily lived with the Cerium after the initial shock wore off.
I've seen the Cerium and I own the black shadow. Both look nice for different colors. I think on blue cars (tanzanite, sonic blue, baracelona, etc) the black looks better, personally.

However, the carbon fiber is NO question better on ALL the 8s series. I've seen without and mine with it. The carbon fiber all around (mirrors, diffusers, etc) looks way better on every color in the rainbow from black to blue to red and even white.

I think it's not even a question about the carbon fiber looks.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #24
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I've seen the Cerium and I own the black shadow. Both look nice for different colors. I think on blue cars (tanzanite, sonic blue, baracelona, etc) the black looks better, personally.

However, the carbon fiber is NO question better on ALL the 8s series. I've seen without and mine with it. The carbon fiber all around (mirrors, diffusers, etc) looks way better on every color in the rainbow from black to blue to red and even white.

In hindsight the full carbon exterior package was the way to go but I couldn't get past the $4K price point. The reason for it being the way to go is without it the diffuser and lower bumper area is a greyish color vs with the carbon exterior package it is black. I'm planning to either have my detailer wrap the greyish color with a black to match the Shadowline or go with the AC Schnitzer carbon diffuser and exhaust to eradicate the greyish color from the rear-end. If I go down the AC Schnitzer route it will tally up to the carbon fiber exterior package but then again I may end up with a hotter exhaust than stock.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 03-10-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #26
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In hindsight the full carbon exterior package was the way to go but I couldn't get past the $4K price point. The reason for it being the way to go is without it the diffuser and lower bumper area is a greyish color vs with the carbon exterior package it is black. I'm planning to either have my detailer wrap the greyish color with a black to match the Shadowline or go with the AC Schnitzer carbon diffuser and exhaust to eradicate the greyish color from the rear-end. If I go down the AC Schnitzer route it will tally up to the carbon fiber exterior package but then again I may end up with a hotter exhaust than stock.
I told my sales agent that I didn't want to pay for the $3k carbon or $3k BW system. But I'm glad I got both, although we negotiated a lower price it wasn't quite as much as that added 6k.

In hindsight I'm glad I got both. I'm not sure how much time or money it would cost for aftermarket; however, I know the carbon fiber is now $4k so it went up and I think it's the same package.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I told my sales agent that I didn't want to pay for the $3k carbon or $3k BW system. But I'm glad I got both, although we negotiated a lower price it wasn't quite as much as that added 6k.

In hindsight I'm glad I got both. I'm not sure how much time or money it would cost for aftermarket; however, I know the carbon fiber is now $4k so it went up and I think it's the same package.
I already had $3400 in on the B&W and $3K for the B&W so when I looked at the $4100 for the carbon exterior package I had a hard time justifying it from any sort of carbon value similar to the roof which reduces weight and lowers the center of gravity of the car. If the carbon exterior package expanded the description regarding "A non-carbon, visually-upgraded diffuser insert is also included" stating something along the lines of "and erases the nonsensical greyish colored diffuser and lower bumper wrap" I would have purchased it no questions asked.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I already had $3400 in on the B&W and $3K for the B&W so when I looked at the $4100 for the carbon exterior package I had a hard time justifying it from any sort of carbon value similar to the roof which reduces weight and lowers the center of gravity of the car. If the carbon exterior package expanded the description regarding "A non-carbon, visually-upgraded diffuser insert is also included" stating something along the lines of "and erases the nonsensical greyish colored diffuser and lower bumper wrap" I would have purchased it no questions asked.
hahahaa
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #29
Dr.T
Rep
Drives: M850i

Quote:
But the carbon package rear diffuser is also grey. It just has an insert for carbon fiber trim that wraps around the exhausts and forms vertical center fins instead of a fake center grille. Still nicer esthetically....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:52 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
But the carbon package rear diffuser is also grey. It just has an insert for carbon fiber trim that wraps around the exhausts and forms vertical center fins instead of a fake center grille. Still nicer esthetically....
Wow, totally disappointed as pics from a 2019 M850i for Car and Driver's review did not have the grey rear bumper lower trim on the Sunset Orange and carbon fiber package. Perhaps a demo spec'd vehicle vs. real world production models.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #31
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
Wow, totally disappointed as pics from a 2019 M850i for Car and Driver's review did not have the grey rear bumper lower trim on the Sunset Orange and carbon fiber package. Perhaps a demo spec'd vehicle vs. real world production models.
mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mine
Thanks as much appreciated. That said it seals the deal on the $4100 exterior carbon package not removing what at least in my opinion is an unexplained grey color for the rear bumper diffuser, etc. Common sense dictates black as that will go with literally all exterior colors. If I end up buying out the M850i lease as per my expectation I'll pull the trigger on the AC Schnitzer exhaust and diffuser to erase BMW's faux pas.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #33
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
mine
Thanks as much appreciated. That said it seals the deal on the $4100 exterior carbon package not removing what at least in my opinion is an unexplained grey color for the rear bumper diffuser, etc. Common sense dictates black as that will go with literally all exterior colors. If I end up buying out the M850i lease as per my expectation I'll pull the trigger on the AC Schnitzer exhaust and diffuser to erase BMW's faux pas.
glad to help!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:15 AM   #34
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

@bloozemanAZ you might check out this one:
https://ind-distribution.com/collect...-rear-diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #35
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I could spend 11k, but the question is - is it worth it??

hmm..... would you drop 11k into a 2019 m850i ? or save the cash for a 2021 m8c.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #36
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I could spend 11k, but the question is - is it worth it??

hmm..... would you drop 11k into a 2019 m850i ? or save the cash for a 2021 m8c.

Thanks for the info. Like the option for the rear carbon diffuser as at $2800 cheaper than the AC Schnitzer as all-in it requires their custom exhaust . The 3D Design supports the OEM exhaust style or supplies carbon tips for the existing exhaust. Then again I would expect the AC Schnitzer exhaust to step up the game so may be worth it.

I'm not really interested in the side skirts nor the spoiler (especially at those prices). The carbon fiber front lip is interesting as it looks nice (assuming the pics which include the website logo on it are just for the catalog). However, something tells me with it in place every little faux pas with a parking bumper may be a kick in the ass vs with the stock rubber more so of a "oh shit did that again?" as really no damage of any attributable value.

Two years from now I'll be making the decision to either buy out the M850i lease which is the current intention, get a smoking deal on a M8C lease return CPO or to my wife's chagrin fall back and punt with my last automobile hurrah in the way of a Lambo. Yes, that is a wide range of opportunities and current state of my portfolio thanks to COVID-19 indicates I may be sticking with the M850i or CPO.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #37
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

Thanks for your discussion of this. I had a similar issue as I was hoping to order a 2020 850 GC with 760 Shadowline trim. Despite the country being flooded with examples of similar builds on the lots, my dealer could not get the factory to accept a special order with shadowline trim unless, I also ordered the "cooling package" with black wheels. It kept changing the build to 346 - Chromeline trim.

This is not the case with the 840 - which allows you to get shadowline with various wheel options.

The dealership was trying to work with BMW directly, but not having much luck given the factory shutdown.

in the end, i found an 850 gc that was 99% of what i wanted on a lot with the shadowline trim.

I don't get BMW doing this, but either way, the car is beautiful .
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #38
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
Thanks for your discussion of this. I had a similar issue as I was hoping to order a 2020 850 GC with 760 Shadowline trim. Despite the country being flooded with examples of similar builds on the lots, my dealer could not get the factory to accept a special order with shadowline trim unless, I also ordered the "cooling package" with black wheels. It kept changing the build to 346 - Chromeline trim.

This is not the case with the 840 - which allows you to get shadowline with various wheel options.

The dealership was trying to work with BMW directly, but not having much luck given the factory shutdown.

in the end, i found an 850 gc that was 99% of what i wanted on a lot with the shadowline trim.

I don't get BMW doing this, but either way, the car is beautiful .
Glad you found a M850i GC that met 99% of your specs as the deal on that would be better than a special order. To that point in the current state of factory shutdowns, etc. it would be extremely hard to get an allocation of a custom build. That said everything I posted on the thread (#11) holds true as to how to order Shadowline via the wheel options vs the full cooling package. Once the current pandemic conundrum subsides and things get back to normal those options on a custom build should be back into effect.

Enjoy the M850i GC and stay safe (aka social distancing, etc.). To that point ironically being the sole driver in an absolutely amazing ride meets the social distancing requirements.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:12 AM   #39
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

is the cooling package something new or exclusive to the coupe or gran coupe? my 2019 bmw m850i doesn't even have that as an option choice.

the only options over 3k were the carbon fiber and B&W stereo system. For $500 neck warmers were a must have.
there were no other options for a 2019 m850i that I can recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #40
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

Quote:
I had originally built a 2019 M850i to spec and was told in July by my SA I'd need to wait until at least August as they were cutting over to 2020s. For the 2020s a few things changed, e.g., in the M850i Coupe comfort seating was now standard and I could no longer directly select Shadowline if interested along with the add of the infamous ZDX watered down Driver Assistance package 2 that botched my first build slot.

For Cerium vs Chromeline vs Shadowline they are all standard options with Cerium being the default. To trigger Chromeline (which was my choice as I thought it would make the exterior color "pop" more) this is set by the wheels selected. For my build this was option 1N7 (20" M V-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheels, style 728M) which adds 346 (Chromeline). Both my initial botched order and replacement order included 1N7 but for whatever reason the second order was built with 1N3 (20" M V-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 728M) which triggers the standard Cerium trim.

My dealer still had the original build on their floor when I picked up the 2nd build so along with the order sheets we couldn't figure out why BMW botched the second one. Hence, the start of the Cerium eradication program which kicked off that day with swapping the 1N7s on the original build with the 1N3s on the new build as I prefer the look of the bi-color wheels especially with the interior black now matching with the Shadowline trim (could never understand why they trigger Chromeline in the first place).

I just spent some time this morning reviewing both the 2020 Coupe and Grand Coupe ordering guides and it appears there are two ways to get the "standard" Shadowline trim from the factory. The first is via ZTK (Cooling and High Performance Tire Package) which includes 1N0 (20" M V-spoke jet black wheels, style 728M w/ HP non RFT) and ZM9 (Shadowline). The second is choosing 1N1 (20" M V-spoke jet black wheels, style 728M w/ perf RFT) which also triggers 7M9.

Although Shadowline is considered standard, i.e., NC under the pricing guides it appears the only way to get it for no additional cost is with the 1N1 wheels which are also NC. The High Performance Tire Package comes along with an additional charge but that is for the included 33T M Technology Package (additional engine oil cooler, etc).

x6Hawkeye IMO there was a failure on BMW's part to explain the situation vs just dropping the 7M9 option from your requested build. Of course if you do not like the look of black wheels then ultimately the outcome would have been the same. Hope this helps any others out there looking to order a 2020 M850i Coupe or Grand Coupe that want Shadowline trim.

Thanks - I should have read hour post (11) a bit more closely.

However, even after reviewing, I still am a little confused. I know you replaced a number of trim items (mirrors, grill, rear diffuser, etc). Did you also replace the window trim? When your car arrived from the factory, was the trim around the windows shadow line, cerium, or chrome?

Next question - are you saying that you can still order 850 with shadow line by just ordering the default cerium 20" wheels (without ordering the "cooling package")? That's the point my dealer couldn't work out. He kept getting "chrome line" package on any build unless he did the cooling package (or black wheels).

As an aside - the configurator allows you to build an 850 with the default 20" cerium and shadow line, but if you change the wheels it goes to chrome line trim, and then it will not allow you to change it back even if you re-select the 20" cerium wheels. very strange.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #41
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
is the cooling package something new or exclusive to the coupe or gran coupe? my 2019 bmw m850i doesn't even have that as an option choice.

the only options over 3k were the carbon fiber and B&W stereo system. For $500 neck warmers were a must have.
On the 2019s the package was called Racetrack Cooling and HP Tire Package and included the same components minus Shadowline as on the 2019s it was a $600 standalone option vs on the 2020s in which it is not. Cannot remember the prices as I never included it in my builds as I spec'd out a M850i during the 2019 build year.

Edit... found the pricing guide and a $1500 option.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 04-04-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #42
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

On the 2019s the package was called Racetrack Cooling and HP Tire Package. Cannot remember the prices as I never included it in my builds as I spec'd out a M850i during the 2019 build year.

Edit... found the pricing guide and a $1500 option.
interesting, it was not an option for the Convertible. I wonder why not .....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #43
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
However, even after reviewing, I still am a little confused. I know you replaced a number of trim items (mirrors, grill, rear diffuser, etc). Did you also replace the window trim? When your car arrived from the factory, was the trim around the windows shadow line, cerium, or chrome?
The entire reason I just did not walk away from the car was indeed with cerium the window trim is Shadowline. This makes sense as otherwise chrome window trim would clash. So that is why I told my CA if they could eradicate the cerium with full Shadowline I'd take it. He said he thought the parts were just released and the eradication program ensued.

Quote:

Next question - are you saying that you can still order 850 with shadow line by just ordering the default cerium 20" wheels (without ordering the "cooling package")? That's the point my dealer couldn't work out. He kept getting "chrome line" package on any build unless he did the cooling package (or black wheels).

As an aside - the configurator allows you to build an 850 with the default 20" cerium and shadow line, but if you change the wheels it goes to chrome line trim, and then it will not allow you to change it back even if you re-select the 20" cerium wheels. very strange.
I just built a 2020 M850i to my specs with the default cerium 20" wheels and indeed the resulting picture is Shadowline for the window trim but the side kidneys, grill, mirror caps and tail pipes are all cerium which can be verified by going into the 3D view mode of the exterior picture.

If I add the 20" black 728M with run flats (1N1) the trim stays the same. If I then switch to the 20" black 728M with non-run flats then the configurator forces the addition of the cooling package and the trim indeed becomes full Shadowline (grill, kidneys, etc.) if I switched back to the 1N1's it would notify it was dropping the cooling package and then render with cerium for the grill, kidneys, etc.

So the mystery is whether the configurator is broken or the pricing guide is guide is incorrect. Granted the pricing guide language is different for the 1N1 vs the 1N7 (my rim of choice as I originally wanted Chromeline on my build). For 1N1 it states "1N1 requires ordering ZM9" and ZM9 is Shadowline. In contrast for 1N7 it states "1N7 will add 346 to the order" and 346 is Chromeline. I honestly missed this difference back when I originally posted #11 on the thread.

Well, here is the conundrum, i.e., ZM9 and 346 are no longer individual options like they were on the 2019s. When I originally built dozens of versions of a 2019 M850i Coupe going through various exterior and interior choices I could select either trim accordingly, i.e., Chromeline and the 1N7 wheels or Shadowline and the 1N1 wheels. It would not allow you to select Shadowline with the 1N7 whatsoever but never tried the reverse as black wheels with Chromeline would not make sense.

So here we are with the 2020 models without the actual 346 or ZM9 as individually electable options. Rather everything now ties to the wheels of choice. It appears to me BMW has another SNAFU on their hands similar to the original 2020 issue with the ZDX vs ZDA driving assistance packages on the configurator. For the 1N1 wheels how do you add ZM9 as required when it is not an electable option? If you chose to take the cooling package (ZTK) but wanted runflats in the way of 1N1 vs 1N0 you cannot do that either.

A conspiracy theorist would likely state BMW has made Shadowline non-achievable on a 2020 M850i/M850iGC without the up sell of the cooling package. Or in my case taking the default cerium wheels and utilizing their OEM M Performance parts. Either way driving up the cost. Considering to this date (I just checked) none of the parts for my cerium eradication program are listed in their online catalog I have no clue to the cost (they were all $0 on my invoice) nor will any other perspective buyer. So how does one compare the difference if interested in Shadowline but not tracking the car in which the cooling package would be the no brainer?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #44
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
interesting, it was not an option for the Convertible. I wonder why not .....
My guess is BMW figured nobody would want to track a 2019 M850i convertible as that is truly what the package is designed for vs getting Shadowline trim. Just checked and still not offered on the 2020 M850i convertibles as well. So the logic in Germany must be that if you want to track a convertible it's time to step up to a M8 or M8C convertible.
Appreciate 1