M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 M850i GC Order

02-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
sfy2905
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i GC

2020 M850i GC Order

I have an M850i GC on order that I will pick up at the Welt in early May.
In reviewing the vehicle order report sent to me by BMWNA, which details the build options and features on my car, there is a line item that does not make sense to me. I asked my dealer and BMW European Delivery about this and they could provide no answer.

Option "5AP" is listed: "Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistant."

So, I can interpret this in at least two ways: 1) that the factory is reprogramming the laser headlights to delete a function that is for the US and not allowed while I am driving in Europe; or 2) the factory is taking away a function allowed in Europe but not approved in the US. And finally, whatever is version correct, will I be able to have my dealer reprogram this potentially lost feature when it returns to the US?

I have had a similar experience with my Panamera. I ordered LED Matrix headlights which were programmed by the factory to delete some of the functionality of the lights because they had not been approved for the US. That was 3 years ago and that functionality has never been approved.

So, does anyone have any experience with option Code 5AP?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

They are disabling a European function - the automatic no-dazzle, which is an amazing piece of technology that keeps your brights on, but re-arranges the high beams so they do not blind oncoming traffic or a vehicle ahead of you. At the moment, the U.S. DOT requires that function to be disabled, which makes no sense.

However, and here's the good news: The dealer will not do it, but that function can be re-enabled in the U.S. by a capable coder. And...you will love it.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
They are disabling a European function - the automatic no-dazzle, which is an amazing piece of technology that keeps your brights on, but re-arranges the high beams so they do not blind oncoming traffic or a vehicle ahead of you. At the moment, the U.S. DOT requires that function to be disabled, which makes no sense.

However, and here's the good news: The dealer will not do it, but that function can be re-enabled in the U.S. by a capable coder. And...you will love it.
I have it among a laundry list of other features on my '20 M5 Comp. I'll happily pay again when I take delivery of my M8 GC Comp. If you'd like a referral to the coder, PM me.
Appreciate 0