M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Wheel questions

01-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Wheel questions

We now have the snows on our stock rims. While I like the wheel design I am not sure if I like cleaning these on a regular basis.

So when spring comes around I am pondering getting a different set of wheels for summer tires. Maybe 20" for stock tires or 21" setup altogether...

Does anybody know the offsets? Same as M5?

What wheels are you considering?

We'll use K&W HAS springs to lower the car just a bit get the stance right.
Anyone else here planning to lower the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Yeah offset is 28mm front and read like the M5 20” wheels.

Check out the F90 wheel forum for some ideas that will just fit straight on
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #3
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

If you are considering KW Has you must have a m850. The Kw kit is not out for the m8 and no set date right now

I am will be ordering a set of custom forged wheels. Despite everyone assuming the m5 wheels will fit perfect there is no confirmed measurements that Gurantee it. My wheel company wants me to take the measurements to make sure. I agree with them and don’t want to get stuck with wheels that don’t fit

But I was told the 850 has less aggressive offsets than the m8 and m5. By over 10mm

It would be best for you to measure before ordering also. Offsets might be similar but hub and brake clearance might not be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
We now have the snows on our stock rims. While I like the wheel design I am not sure if I like cleaning these on a regular basis.

So when spring comes around I am pondering getting a different set of wheels for summer tires. Maybe 20" for stock tires or 21" setup altogether...

Does anybody know the offsets? Same as M5?

What wheels are you considering?

We'll use K&W HAS springs to lower the car just a bit get the stance right.
Anyone else here planning to lower the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
If you are considering KW Has you must have a m850. The Kw kit is not out for the m8 and no set date right now

I am will be ordering a set of custom forged wheels. Despite everyone assuming the m5 wheels will fit perfect there is no confirmed measurements that Gurantee it. My wheel company wants me to take the measurements to make sure. I agree with them and don’t want to get stuck with wheels that don’t fit

But I was told the 850 has less aggressive offsets than the m8 and m5. By over 10mm

It would be best for you to measure before ordering also. Offsets might be similar but hub and brake clearance might not be
My bad on the K&W. Have not done enough homework and was assuming that the springs from the M850 would be the same

The wheels will come into play in spring so I have some time. Love to see what others are doing as I am not sure what wheels look best on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

No need to apologize and my bad didn’t even look at the screen name. You have a m8. I have been working with HR and Kw to get a kit to market faster. The 850 has kit won’t work.

The spring perches are different sizes from what I was told. The M850i HR springs would fit and I am so close on just trying them. Expensive experiment as the install is not easy and cost around 600 by itself.

The springs will work but concerned that the drop is too aggresive. 1.2/1.2

I don’t see that wheel gap in the back will allow a 1.2.

I’m in sunny cali so seasons don’t really matter. Urge to lower will be based on when my aftermarket wheels come in

But the m5 guys have the similar setup and stance stock and the m550 springs seem to work fine. Only reason I am considering the 850 springs

Quote:
My bad on the K&W. Have not done enough homework and was assuming that the springs from the M850 would be the same

The wheels will come into play in spring so I have some time. Love to see what others are doing as I am not sure what wheels look best on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:

As the offset is the same for the OEM wheels if an M5 aftermarket wheel has close to stock M5 offsets (ie not too aggressive) then they will fit just fine. Of course if you’re trying to max out what an M8 can handle then that could be a different story.

You are correct about the M850i having completely different offsets, I wouldn’t use one to measure up against. The front guards are also quite a bit wider in the M8
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No need to apologize and my bad didn’t even look at the screen name. You have a m8. I have been working with HR and Kw to get a kit to market faster. The 850 has kit won’t work.

The spring perches are different sizes from what I was told. The M850i HR springs would fit and I am so close on just trying them. Expensive experiment as the install is not easy and cost around 600 by itself.

The springs will work but concerned that the drop is too aggresive. 1.2/1.2

I don’t see that wheel gap in the back will allow a 1.2.

I’m in sunny cali so seasons don’t really matter. Urge to lower will be based on when my aftermarket wheels come in

But the m5 guys have the similar setup and stance stock and the m550 springs seem to work fine. Only reason I am considering the 850 springs
I will likely wait for the adjustable springs. This way I can dial in the perfect height.

I used the H&R sport springs on our 7 series and height was spot on. On our SL it turned out to be too aggressive and looks and ride quality suffered. Plus I scraped the front all the time.
Did KW indicate a timeline?

One reason I like the MB ABC or Airmatic systems. I just plug in the lowering module via OBD port and adjust it via Comand.
You can change any drop front/rear in seconds.

I will experiment with spacers on our stock wheels in the meantime. We use 15/12 F/R on our E63s and it seems that the M5 takes the same setup.

What wheels are you thinking about? Brand/size?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Both HR and KW had no timelines but Kw did say by Spring this year possible. Both of them didn’t even know there was a m8 out. A bit concerning
And am somewhat scared that they won’t even make a kit. That is a good possibility with the low demand and production car. You figure they might only sell 15-20 sets for the year

I just installed spacers last night. Ran 11 front and back. My shop didn’t. Have the 15 that the m5 guys run which is the max without rubbing. But since I wasn’t quite sure the offsets and fitment was same as the m5 I went with the 11 just in case.

Well I can tell you that the m5 is pretty much identical. The 11 is perfect, prob can run a 12 but 1mm is pretty much nothing. Although the 11 in the front made a huge difference it can fit a 15.

The rear pokes a little since I’m not lowered yet. It looks good.

Going to post pics later

As for wheels I am not sure yet. Working with some companies for promo. I will be doing some shows with the cars and possibly having it at Sema only at the right booth.

If I can get the car at Sema I would have one of the top forged wheel companies. But that being said without a huge subsidy I am not paying 10k for wheels. Been there before and it’s just money down the drain.

My m4 has BCforged and this was before they got big. They make a quality product for fractions of what other companies charge. Yes they are made overseas but seeing first hand there is nothing wrong with being made overseas.

You can get a set of 21’s for like 4800 shipped retail.

Quote:
I will likely wait for the adjustable springs. This way I can dial in the perfect height.

I used the H&R sport springs on our 7 series and height was spot on. On our SL it turned out to be too aggressive and looks and ride quality suffered. Plus I scraped the front all the time.
Did KW indicate a timeline?

One reason I like the MB ABC or Airmatic systems. I just plug in the lowering module via OBD port and adjust it via Comand.
You can change any drop front/rear in seconds.

I will experiment with spacers on our stock wheels in the meantime. We use 15/12 F/R on our E63s and it seems that the M5 takes the same setup.

What wheels are you thinking about? Brand/size?
Appreciate 0