M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion About to Grab an m850...but so many questions

12-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

About to Grab an m850...but so many questions

....But a few things first...

As I am trying to get a discount on a leftover 2019, Its likely I'll need to compromise on colors or options (I'd love an Orange Convertible but can't find one).

How is the base sound system versus the B&W? In the convertible, will it matter?

Is there a reason that the Gran Coupe isn't seeing significant discounts? Lease prices for 125k convertibles are less than 115k Gran Coupes. Why?

I currently have an Audi S5 Sportback with a red leather interior and my wife HATES it. She calls it the douche-mobile. Think she throws me out if I pull that stunt again?!?!?

The dealer I was at today had an M8 Orange Coupe on the floor. Too bad they won't price like the m850...
Appreciate 1
mgod483.50
      12-31-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
....But a few things first...

As I am trying to get a discount on a leftover 2019, Its likely I'll need to compromise on colors or options (I'd love an Orange Convertible but can't find one).

How is the base sound system versus the B&W? In the convertible, will it matter?

Is there a reason that the Gran Coupe isn't seeing significant discounts? Lease prices for 125k convertibles are less than 115k Gran Coupes. Why?

I currently have an Audi S5 Sportback with a red leather interior and my wife HATES it. She calls it the douche-mobile. Think she throws me out if I pull that stunt again?!?!?

The dealer I was at today had an M8 Orange Coupe on the floor. Too bad they won't price like the m850...
B&w is the way to go the bass is wicked compared to the reg the system you'll fall in love with facts, douch Mobile lmaoo it's cause it's an audi she just won't tell you lol get that M850i it's a really great car
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

The Bw in the 8 series is amazing. Prob the best I have heard for a Prem factory audio system

Not sure if it’s purely the acoustics of the car but I highly recommend it. Wifey even says it sounds really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgod View Post
B&w is the way to go the bass is wicked compared to the reg the system you'll fall in love with facts, douch Mobile lmaoo it's cause it's an audi she just won't tell you lol get that M850i it's a really great car
Appreciate 1
am3r1ka1411.00
      12-31-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
The Bw in the 8 series is amazing. Prob the best I have heard for a Prem factory audio system

Not sure if it’s purely the acoustics of the car but I highly recommend it. Wifey even says it sounds really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgod View Post
Just by looking at it in the night is soo fascinated really good stuff
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-01-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
B+W = yes
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Personally tested the stock H&K vs B&W with some high resolution FLAC master sources prior to placing my order and the B&W is hands down worth the money. As per mgod, the aesthetics alone may be worth the expense even if you are not an audiophile. Along with the carbon fiber roof and full leather in my 2020 M850i the B&W audio is golden for the added cost.
Appreciate 1
noushy1650.00
      01-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Love the feedback guys, thx. You've sold me on the B&W.

Now the bigger decision, Convertible (because I'd love it) or GC (because I often drive to kids too and from Sports. Tough call....I should be practical, but I don't really too. And lease programs on the convertible are far better.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #8
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:

Now the bigger decision, Convertible (because I'd love it) or GC (because I often drive to kids too and from Sports. Tough call....I should be practical, but I don't really too. And lease programs on the convertible are far better.
You'll lose considerable trunk space with the convertible as well. Rear seats are for show only. I wouldn't put my worst enemy back there.
      01-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:

You'll lose considerable trunk space with the convertible as well. Rear seats are for show only. I wouldn't put my worst enemy back there.
Quote:
Agreed and as I've often joked in regards to the back seats of my M850i Coupe they are only good to hold a box of Kleenex and the sun visor.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

FWIW, my grandkids - 11 and 7 (and average/big for their age) - have no problem riding in the rear of my 2019 M850ix convertible, even finding space for their backpacks. And they love the embedded wi-fi signal for their iPads.

But...there are no cupholders back there (I bought an inexpensive plastic cupholder for them and it seems to suffice), and it is true that we have very little trunk space.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
FWIW, my grandkids - 11 and 7 (and average/big for their age) - have no problem riding in the rear of my 2019 M850ix convertible, even finding space for their backpacks. And they love the embedded wi-fi signal for their iPads.

But...there are no cupholders back there (I bought an inexpensive plastic cupholder for them and it seems to suffice), and it is true that we have very little trunk space.
Guess it really depends on the size of the driver. I'm over 6'6" and I couldn't even recline my seat to a comfortable position before it was hitting the rear seat. Tall people problems I suppose.
      01-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guess it really depends on the size of the driver. I'm over 6'6" and I couldn't even recline my seat to a comfortable position before it was hitting the rear seat. Tall people problems I suppose.
I think that comes down to leg vs upper body in the height quotient as I too am 6'6" and the Coupe fits me perfectly but never really considered the convertible. In fact I have significantly more headroom in the M850i than my previous sedan with a sun roof (which took away about 2").
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50
      01-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #13
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
That makes sense. I'm 5'7" (discounted by age in recent years from 5'8") and I tend to sit pretty close to the wheel. In fact, now that you mention it, I usually adjust the front passenger seat closer to the dash if I know the grandkids will be climbing in the back.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #14
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Personally tested the stock H&K vs B&W with some high resolution FLAC master sources prior to placing my order and the B&W is hands down worth the money. As per mgod, the aesthetics alone may be worth the expense even if you are not an audiophile. Along with the carbon fiber roof and full leather in my 2020 M850i the B&W audio is golden for the added cost.
Absolutely true I have it in the B7 and the X5 and playing hires tracks off a SSD really shows the difference. The HK in the X3Mc is upgraded with BavSounds full subwoofers and drivers and its closer but still doesn't have the depth or punch of the higher end system
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Absolutely true I have it in the B7 and the X5 and playing hires tracks off a SSD really shows the difference. The HK in the X3Mc is upgraded with BavSounds full subwoofers and drivers and its closer but still doesn't have the depth or punch of the higher end system
The source is exactly the key and if you are not running high resolution tracks but rather just enjoying Sirius XM as the source the HK will be fine for that. Irony is have a friend with an upgraded BavSound in his 650i that does indeed sound great so checked with them first to weigh it as an option for aftermarket with the HK as stock for my M850i order. They did not have anything for the 8 series whatsoever back in August and still do not as I just checked. Hindsight being that I'm glad they didn't as the B&W is just flat out amazing and the aesthetics push it over the top.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-08-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:32 PM   #16
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Agree with redhot47fla - small kids are fine in the rear of the Coupe - four doors a lot easier if you are in fact Uber Daddy.
Appreciate 0