M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Fractured My Wrist during Muay Thai Training!

06-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Electric Red

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Unhappy Fractured My Wrist during Muay Thai Training!

Yep! and get this, it occured while training on the heavy bag. My hands were wrapped properly and I was wearing 16oz gloves (all of which are required by our Kru when training). Our usual bag routine consist of 3-5 rounds mixing up "quick strikes" with "power strikes" when cued to do so. Well, on the 3rd round while setting up "power strikes" I threw a left jab, right elbow, left hook combo. Upon landing the left hook the bag swung towards the inside of my left palm and upon impact my left wrist hyperflexed. At first I thought it was just a sprain, but after checking with a doc I was told that i fractured my left wrist, more specifically my left scaphoid bone.

The scaphoid was completely fractured and displaced. Basically the bone was broke in to two pieces and no longer in its correct anatomical postition. Pins and screws will be required to set the bones back in place and the procedure will be done under general anesthesia. Estimated time in a cast is about 12wks if all goes well. I'm due for surgery in a few days.

My entire summer will be spent in a cast! Sorry for the rant I'm just terribly "bummed"!:mad:

Here's a pic of the xray. The arrow points to the fracture. What appears to be 2 seperate bones should anatomically be only one!!

I guess I'll be hanging these guys up until the doc okays me to train again
      06-12-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
its amazing how fragile the body is...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
vu
vucorp & sons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

where do you do muay thai at in SD? hope you recover quickly
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
its amazing how fragile the body is...

seriously. I sometimes wish I was Superman.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
selmar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i 2dr MT Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Ouch! That hurts. Sorry to hear.

2007 335i - 2dr/MT/Sapphire Black/Saddle Brown Dakota/Brushed Aluminum/Sport pkg/19" OEM 230/35% Tint/Clear face mask
Retired: 2004 330Ci - 2dr/MT/Silver Grey/M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Ouch!! I feel your pain dude! I train in MT also. 4 years now. Nice to see some other MT fighters!

Being in contact sport, it's bound to happen. Unfortunately, it had to happen while training! That's the worse! I always say, if you're gonna get injured, better be in the ring. All of my injuries happened in the ring actually. tore a ligament in my ankle once, and the other time i partially tore my mcl. Anyways, I hope for a speedy recovery! What school do you train at and who's your Kru?

How do you throw your hooks? I hope it's not with your wrist/palm facing you, rather your palm should be pointing down.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

wow thats rough. and im signing up for mma. i better be careful! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

yea you throw a bad hook and ouch.... imagine if you werent wearing your wraps, that wont be good.... i havent injured my self Boxing yet and i hope i dont, i try to be careful but sometimes those things are just destined to happen
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Electric Red

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vu View Post
where do you do muay thai at in SD? hope you recover quickly
I'm currently training at Undisputed located in North Park just off the 805. Check them out at http://www.sdundisputed.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFavourite View Post
sure it wasnt getting owned by an RS4?
hahaha...actually I got owned by a civic in my 325i :mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119 View Post
Ouch!! I feel your pain dude! I train in MT also. 4 years now. Nice to see some other MT fighters!

Being in contact sport, it's bound to happen. Unfortunately, it had to happen while training! That's the worse! I always say, if you're gonna get injured, better be in the ring. All of my injuries happened in the ring actually. tore a ligament in my ankle once, and the other time i partially tore my mcl. Anyways, I hope for a speedy recovery! What school do you train at and who's your Kru?

How do you throw your hooks? I hope it's not with your wrist/palm facing you, rather your palm should be pointing down.
Im currently training at Undisputed in San Diego. It's basically an all out MMA type of gym teaching a variety of disciplines. our MT Kru is Anan Burisut but I only see him on rare occasions. Most of the MT classes I attend are instructed by Either Scotty Dingas or Jhanex Alviz. Believe or not we are taught to throw hooks with palm facing you. I know there are lots of argument about this technique but that is how they do it. If you were to throw a hook with palm side down then the instructor will "swiftly" correct you. Their rational is with the palm side facing you the hook is "tighter", faster and will protect your wrist.....

Thank you all for the kind words! I'm planning to use this thread as a blog and keep it updated with my progress. Thanks again....Randy
      06-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

ouch! get well!
      06-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4surfah View Post
Im currently training at Undisputed in San Diego. It's basically an all out MMA type of gym teaching a variety of disciplines. our MT Kru is Anan Burisut but I only see him on rare occasions. Most of the MT classes I attend are instructed by Either Scotty Dingas or Jhanex Alviz. Believe or not we are taught to throw hooks with palm facing you. I know there are lots of argument about this technique but that is how they do it. If you were to throw a hook with palm side down then the instructor will "swiftly" correct you. Their rational is with the palm side facing you the hook is "tighter", faster and will protect your wrist.....

Thank you all for the kind words! I'm planning to use this thread as a blog and keep it updated with my progress. Thanks again....Randy

I've actually heard of Anan. He's a good trainer!

We're taught the opposite way for the very reason why you fractured your wrist. LOL I know each trainer has their own ways, so whatever they feel like works the best, they'll teach you. Either way, good luck on your injuries! Make sure you wrap your palm or wrist a little more now to prevent further injuries! Some people actually use two hand wraps for one hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
That sucks man.

Like evo119 said, it's nice to see other Muay Thai guys on here. :rocks:

Maybe two years ago, my roomate and I were at our gym and sparring a few rounds. I was tired, and threw a sloppy left hook with my palm down. Didn't pull it in close enough, ended up landing the punch on my thumb and dislocated it.
      06-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

After a couple of years of Krav Maga I had to completely back off as I had hyper flexed my wrist and never let it completely heal. I could feel it in everything I did, from bench pressing to picking up my kids. It's been 5 months and I am finally free of the pain. It's the hooks that get you. I'm sticking to BJJ for now.
Appreciate 0