M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Purchase concerns of a German or NATO spec BMW 5 Series in the U.S.

02-06-2024, 03:48 PM   #1
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Purchase concerns of a German or NATO spec BMW 5 Series in the U.S.

Seriously, asking for a friend.

Admittedly, my search success on here isn't great so I'll create a new thread on the subject and I apologize if there is already another out there covering the ask.

A friend has asked me if she should have any concerns about buying a German or NATO-spec'd BMW 5 Series here in the U.S. Other than this information found here, I had nothing else to provide:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...Trucks%2025%25

It speaks to some concerns I think one would consider, but not sure it's the same as one buying from the U.S.

Does anybody have this experience and what should my friend be aware of in terms of extra concerns?

Thanks!
      02-06-2024, 04:41 PM   #2
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
The vehicle came in with foreign soldier or diplomat? If that is the case and the vehicle is non compliant with US spec you might be in for an expensive conversion or car might have to be crushed for non compliance.

Back in the day this was easy to get around in states that have a lot of NATO training or Diplomat's like DC Metro. These days I would contact DOT/NHTSB and even Customs as you might have to pay the duty,
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3642.00