M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos GM small RWD platform

09-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

GM small RWD platform

Word of a GM small RWD platform leaked by UAW.

From Automotive News:

"DETROIT — In an unauthorized revelation on Friday, UAW officials disclosed General Motors’ plans to produce a small rear-wheel-drive vehicle architecture code-named Alpha.

The revelation came as the UAW publicized GM’s pledge to invest in future vehicles for 16 assembly plants — a pledge the union won this week during its contract negotiations with GM.

GM will build two body styles of the new Alpha vehicle, which will begin production in 2011. GM’s plant in Lordstown, Ohio, will assemble it.

GM has not unveiled a concept version of the vehicle, said a source familiar with the program.

“It’s an all-new architecture that does not exist in the portfolio now,” the source said. “It is in the compact area but bigger than the Gamma. It’s more like a small entry-level vehicle that would be more luxury-inclined, like a BMW used to be.”

The source would not say which of GM’s eight brands would get the vehicle. GM executives have previously said that Pontiac would be the brand of choice for “affordable” rear-wheel-drive cars.

News of the Alpha — along with other extensive details about GM’s product plans — were included in the UAW’s contract highlights. The union will distribute the highlights to its members this week in advance of the contract ratification vote.

If the UAW’s contract booklet is to be believed, GM also has big plans for its Gamma world car. The next-generation Chevrolet Cobalt car will switch from the Delta platform to the cheaper Gamma platform in 2010.

Lordstown, which produces the Cobalt and its sibling, the Pontiac G5, will produce the next Cobalt, too.

“Just like everyone’s replacement cars are getting bigger, Gamma gets a bit bigger due to all the safety requirements,” the source said. “The Gamma product would be a Cobalt replacement. It might go to other brands, but the main one is Chevy.”

According to the UAW highlights, GM also confirmed that it will build the Chevrolet Volt plug-in-hybrid at its Detroit-Hamtramck plant in 2010. GM plans to build a small seven-seat van in Hamtramck for export to other markets, the source said. The van — which will not be sold in the United States — will be a next-generation variant of the Opel Zafira."
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It's nice to see the affordable RWD vehicle market heating up...

It reminds me of the time when I could choose between a Vega and a Pinto
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Ha!! Hopefully we've moved beyond those - but wouldn't you like at least the engine from a Cosworth Vega? ; -)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
“Just like everyone’s replacement cars are getting bigger, Gamma gets a bit bigger due to all the safety requirements,” the source said...
how do safety requirements make a car bigger:iono:. heavier, ok (air bags, intrusion beams, etc.). unless it's crumple zones:iono:. sounds like horseshit to me. i understand that making a car bigger will make it safer(all else being equal), but that is class migration, not meeting a safety requirement.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
how do safety requirements make a car bigger:iono:. heavier, ok (air bags, intrusion beams, etc.). unless it's crumple zones:iono:. sounds like horseshit to me. i understand that making a car bigger will make it safer(all else being equal), but that is class migration, not meeting a safety requirement.
It's to safely ensure the blood flow to American fat butts. Because fatties are people too. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

$20 bucks says it ends up ugly as sin.

although i agree with the comment of enthusiasm to a growing small RWD market
Appreciate 0