M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion What are the differences between M8 and M8 Competition?

06-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #67
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
To get this thread back on topic as well as help the OP and anyone else who stumbles on this thread looking for Comp vs non comp info.

I posted before in another thread about this same topic that you can do almost everything the same or better yourself much cheaper than the $13,000 Competition package. So don't let that sway you from a good deal on a non comp. In my opinion the Comp package is a total rip off/money maker for BMW and the sum of its parts aren't worth anything near what it costs. That said I get that it can be more beneficial in lease terms.

You can add the additional front camber with an alignment.

It's probably not worth doing the stiffer engine mounts and ball joints instead of rubber at the rear but these can be had from BMW parts online vendors for a fraction of the price @ the dealer if you really must have them. This isn't at track car, it's not going to handle better at legal speeds it will only ride harsher.

The shadowline front grill, black side vents and black rear badge can all be had for less than $500. If you can't find the part number on your own PM me as I replaced all the chrome on mine with these exact parts.

The track mode display is silly but I am sure someone could code it for you if you really wanted to pay for it.

As for the 17hp you can get WAY more than that (like 100hp+) with a piggy back tune for $700
An M8 and an M8 Competition both make the same power when tuned. No internal engine differences.

The competition exhaust is only different in the mid-pipe and the tip size/color. You can replace the mid-pipe with the factory part for around $1200 if you want to stay "OEM" and paint the exhaust tips gloss black but why not just spend that on an aftermarket exhaust as you are still way under $13,000!

Same with the wheels, buy the BMW Comp wheels online (for a fraction of the price of a dealership) or buy some better looking aftermarket ones, whatever makes you happy.

Seatbelts have the tri color going down them, again you can replace with an OEM part, but the labor to replace the belts will probably cost more than the belts lol.

The only thing you really need to have in the non comp is the upgraded leather package ($3500 option) as you won't be able to do that aftermarket.
It may not be worth it to you, but at the end of the day everyone leases these cars due to massive depreciation

When you lease the 13k is reaidualized and your not actually ever paying 13k more whereas doing the mods separately are true out of pocket expenses
      06-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #68
KC_Kidney
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
To get this thread back on topic as well as help the OP and anyone else who stumbles on this thread looking for Comp vs non comp info.

I posted before in another thread about this same topic that you can do almost everything the same or better yourself much cheaper than the $13,000 Competition package. So don't let that sway you from a good deal on a non comp. In my opinion the Comp package is a total rip off/money maker for BMW and the sum of its parts aren't worth anything near what it costs. That said I get that it can be more beneficial in lease terms.

It's probably not worth doing the stiffer engine mounts and ball joints instead of rubber at the rear but these can be had from BMW parts online vendors for a fraction of the price @ the dealer if you really must have them. This isn't at track car, it's not going to handle better at legal speeds it will only ride harsher.

The shadowline front grill, black side vents and black rear badge can all be had for less than $500. If you can't find the part number on your own PM me as I replaced all the chrome on mine with these exact parts.

The track mode display is silly but I am sure someone could code it for you if you really wanted to pay for it.

As for the 17hp you can get WAY more than that (like 100hp+) with a piggy back tune for $700
An M8 and an M8 Competition both make the same power when tuned. No internal engine differences.

The competition exhaust is only different in the mid-pipe and the tip size/color. You can replace the mid-pipe with the factory part for around $1200 if you want to stay "OEM" and paint the exhaust tips gloss black but why not just spend that on an aftermarket exhaust as you are still way under $13,000!

Same with the wheels, buy the BMW Comp wheels online (for a fraction of the price of a dealership) or buy some better looking aftermarket ones, whatever makes you happy.

Seatbelts have the tri color going down them, again you can replace with an OEM part, but the labor to replace the belts will probably cost more than the belts lol.

The only thing you really need to have in the non comp is the upgraded leather package ($3500 option) as you won't be able to do that aftermarket.
It may not be worth it to you, but at the end of the day everyone leases these cars due to massive depreciation

When you lease the 13k is reaidualized and your not actually ever paying 13k more whereas doing the mods separately are true out of pocket expenses
Not everyone leases, or at least I didn't. Everyone's situation is different and what they are willing to pay. In my case, I wanted this car to be the very last car I drive - I want to leave something for my children that meant a lot to me since I was diagnosed with an incurable disease. Live each day like it's your last and how better than to do it in style.
Appreciate 3
LSM1118.00
riceman14.50
      06-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #69
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_kidney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner View Post
to get this thread back on topic as well as help the op and anyone else who stumbles on this thread looking for comp vs non comp info.

I posted before in another thread about this same topic that you can do almost everything the same or better yourself much cheaper than the $13,000 competition package. So don't let that sway you from a good deal on a non comp. In my opinion the comp package is a total rip off/money maker for bmw and the sum of its parts aren't worth anything near what it costs. That said i get that it can be more beneficial in lease terms.

It's probably not worth doing the stiffer engine mounts and ball joints instead of rubber at the rear but these can be had from bmw parts online vendors for a fraction of the price @ the dealer if you really must have them. This isn't at track car, it's not going to handle better at legal speeds it will only ride harsher.

The shadowline front grill, black side vents and black rear badge can all be had for less than $500. If you can't find the part number on your own pm me as i replaced all the chrome on mine with these exact parts.

The track mode display is silly but i am sure someone could code it for you if you really wanted to pay for it.

As for the 17hp you can get way more than that (like 100hp+) with a piggy back tune for $700
an m8 and an m8 competition both make the same power when tuned. No internal engine differences.

The competition exhaust is only different in the mid-pipe and the tip size/color. You can replace the mid-pipe with the factory part for around $1200 if you want to stay "oem" and paint the exhaust tips gloss black but why not just spend that on an aftermarket exhaust as you are still way under $13,000!

Same with the wheels, buy the bmw comp wheels online (for a fraction of the price of a dealership) or buy some better looking aftermarket ones, whatever makes you happy.

Seatbelts have the tri color going down them, again you can replace with an oem part, but the labor to replace the belts will probably cost more than the belts lol.

it may not be worth it to you, but at the end of the day everyone leases these cars due to massive depreciation

when you lease the 13k is reaidualized and your not actually ever paying 13k more whereas doing the mods separately are true out of pocket expenses
not everyone leases, or at least i didn't. Everyone's situation is different and what they are willing to pay. In my case, i wanted this car to be the very last car i drive - i want to leave something for my children that meant a lot to me since i was diagnosed with an incurable disease. Live each day like it's your last and how better than to do it in style.
🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
      06-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #70
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Kidney View Post
Not everyone leases, or at least I didn't. Everyone's situation is different and what they are willing to pay. In my case, I wanted this car to be the very last car I drive - I want to leave something for my children that meant a lot to me since I was diagnosed with an incurable disease. Live each day like it's your last and how better than to do it in style.
Sorry to hear and enjoy the the drive in that glorious Tanzanite Blue M850i convertible!
Appreciate 1