M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New update via myBmw App

05-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #133
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
BTW love the window memory app as when pulling into the work parking garage the driver side window automatically goes down so I can badge swipe the entry. The little things in life that make the 8-series a joy to own. 👍
That’s cool. What’s this app? And how do I get it?

Also confused and curious by the different software versions on this thread. My BMW app tells me I’m on 03/2023.20 and it’s upto date. Guess that’s because the car is only a few weeks old. But why are there updates mentioned in this thread that are behind the version I have? Surely the app would update to the most recent version? Or have I completely misunderstood what is going on (wouldn’t surprise me!). Thanks
      05-06-2023, 04:33 PM   #134
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBMW14 View Post
That’s cool. What’s this app? And how do I get it?
Go into the iDrive apps section where you find climate control, drive recorder, lap timer, etc. and it's there as well. Just need to open it and add the location and the always on GPS in the car will roll down the driver's side window at that spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBMW14 View Post
Also confused and curious by the different software versions on this thread. My BMW app tells me I’m on 03/2023.20 and it’s upto date. Guess that’s because the car is only a few weeks old. But why are there updates mentioned in this thread that are behind the version I have? Surely the app would update to the most recent version? Or have I completely misunderstood what is going on (wouldn’t surprise me!). Thanks

Yes, you're on the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, OTAs are always behind. For example late this year they may push 03/2023 but that's a crap shoot. Also, there is no rhyme or reason to the logic but they push serially across the series models that support. So an X on iD7 can get it before an 8 or vice versa.
Appreciate 1
SSBMW14369.00
      05-09-2023, 01:37 AM   #135
rw99
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i coupe

I am avoiding updates as I don’t want to lose the coding done on my car (very inconvenient for me to have it done again). Which was fine by me, until I noticed a bunch of apps are no longer available on my car. Is this because updated apps are required after some car software updates?

Or is there a way to reload apps?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 03:44 PM   #136
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw99 View Post
I am avoiding updates as I don’t want to lose the coding done on my car (very inconvenient for me to have it done again). Which was fine by me, until I noticed a bunch of apps are no longer available on my car. Is this because updated apps are required after some car software updates?

Or is there a way to reload apps?
There is a way to reload apps plus check your privacy settings as it includes the apps as well. I'm a privacy nut (live in the world of IT security) so I have a custom set and with the apps it's configured to prompt me to install the update for an app vs auto install. What kills me though as it doesn't call out the app vs just just an app has an update available.

Some apps are only available via an ID7 release, e.g., M Lap Timer. But if you're on 07/2021 or better you should have that as well. Others are Connected Drive subscriptions, e.g., the Red Light camera. To force a full app install first go to the apps section in iD7 and leave the prompt on installed apps. Then hit the iD7 options button (lower right behind the iD wheel). Select the top option which will wipe and re-install all apps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:09 PM   #137
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Over 2 weeks and still waiting for the last bit of magic for 11/2022.60 to happen. Meanwhile I have to see the New Software Upgrade message every time I open the App.

If I recall, for the last update, I just waited and waited, and one day...joy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:20 PM   #138
SmokieRiver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8

Garage List
2024 GMC AT4x HD  [0.00]
2023 BMW M8  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
Over 2 weeks and still waiting for the last bit of magic for 11/2022.60 to happen. Meanwhile I have to see the New Software Upgrade message every time I open the App.

If I recall, for the last update, I just waited and waited, and one day...joy!
I just did the install today and it went smoothly. It downloaded to app a few day ago and finally remember to install it after getting home from work today. Are you going in the iDrive screen and hitting install? It requires the car off, cool and parking brake to do the install (check list on the screen)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:37 PM   #139
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokieRiver View Post
I just did the install today and it went smoothly. It downloaded to app a few day ago and finally remember to install it after getting home from work today. Are you going in the iDrive screen and hitting install? It requires the car off, cool and parking brake to do the install (check list on the screen)
Update on my end is finally got the messages about ready to install after the cool down period a couple of times this week. Still not triggering and on my drives today no more messages about the OTA ready, cool down, etc. I'm even forcing the parking brake before going into park which auto hold automatically does. Just pure frustration.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:39 PM   #140
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
My update to 11/2022.60 went very smoothly. Here's how it went down for me . . .

I was prompted to upload the update software to my iPhone in the myBMW app. That went smoothly. The next time I got in my car, I was prompted to download the update software from my phone to the car. Again, that went smoothly and was done as I was driving. Note that this step only downloaded the software to the car. It did not install it.

The install step was only slightly more complicated. The install has to be done with the car cooled down, about 30 minutes after your last drive. But it doesn't happen automictically. After cool down, I had to go back to the car to kick-off the install. For that, the car had to be turned off and parked with the parking brake on. The key fob had to be in the car for the install to kick-off, but once the install process began, the key fob can be removed from the car and the car can be locked (I did neither, just to be safe). I then left the car unattended, but got a message in the app after about 20 minutes that the install was complete. I then went back to the car, removed the key fob and locked it.

btw, after all that, I noticed no changes. Lol.
The only changes I noticed were that all the changes I'd made were gone and had to be redone.

Also same for me on the install. It would only trigger after I got back into the car after it was cooled down. Never while driving and never right when I turned it off. Odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:53 PM   #141
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokieRiver View Post
I know the manual says that the car needs to be cool, but it doesn’t say anything about cool on iDrive. Only that it’s downloaded successfully to the car and “You will be notified when the upgrade can be installed.”

In fact, my last upgrade started as soon as I drove into the garage and shut the car off. So maybe cool does not mean cold.

Anyway, it’s weird. One thing that I did last time but have not checked this time, is switching off remote start. That’s a requirement…I’ll try this tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:48 AM   #142
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840d Convertible

So still waiting for previous update to install to the car after being uploaded a previously (several times now going back to November last year!) another update available (03.2023.50). Have downloaded it on the app and uploaded to the car and back to waiting for it to decide to install. I use my car regularly etc etc. Have contacted connected drive online to get help, reloaded aps etc and battery connected to Ctek with no joy!
Too much hassle for me to bother taking it to the dealer outside of its service so will wait until it next goes in so they can update the software.
BMW OTA delivery updates are rubbish!
Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0