M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i tires: what are you running?

01-16-2023, 01:21 AM   #1
rw99
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i coupe

M850i tires: what are you running?

I’m unimpressed with the Bridgestone S007 durability and thinking of a change for the next set on my OEM wheels. I’d like to retain max summer performance characteristics, but I do need to compromise a little for a tire that can still run in the occasional rainstorm or 40°F temp. No snow, monsoon, or truly cold weather.

What are the current (i.e. available) alternatives that you’ve chosen and how have they performed?

TIA,

Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
Mine is merely the 840 lol, but I changed mine out for ultra high A/S (Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+) bc I need to be able to drive when temp drops well below 40. I also wanted a taller sidewall front and rear to fill out the top of the wheel well a bit more so went with 40 front, 35 rear. Tire Rack is a great resource for tires. There are typically a lot of customer reviews and rankings for dry, wet, etc. and Tire Rack does testing on a lot of the tires in different conditions. And if you want summers, Michelin summers are usually really good.

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 2
rw99104.00
      01-16-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

My completely flat S007 agrees. I’ve had deep tissue massages that have been harder than this tire.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #4
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Michelin pilot sport 4s
michelin pilot sport 3 zp
pirelli p zero run flat (pz4)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 10:15 PM   #5
M8CompSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Competion Coupe

Garage List
Pilot Sport All Season 4
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 11:04 PM   #6
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

I have the pilot sport all season they are ok but not like the ps4's. When winter breaks I'm tempted to swap. I also went up to 40 and 35 very good move.
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      01-17-2023, 12:34 AM   #7
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
I have the pilot sport all season they are ok but not like the ps4's. When winter breaks I'm tempted to swap. I also went up to 40 and 35 very good move.

OK, you're just the person I want to talk to. I've been thinking about upsizing my tires, too. If fact, I started a thread in the General BMW News section on this topic 2 days ago https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1984646
You seem to be the first I've run across that's pulled this off.

I take it you went to 245/40/20 and 275/35/20 - if you kept the OEM wheels. These are the Alpina tire size, although it has a wider wheel set. The discussion has been whether it's prudent to increase OEM tire diameter on cars that may have been engineered for a specific tire size. The consensus (from tire shops, performance shops, BMW techs and forum people has been: No, no, no, sure, keep the four tires in the same ratio as OEM and you'll be fine, shouldn't be a problem, stay OEM.

So, did you research this, talk to anyone who might actually have knowledge of this topic or just know because you're a real car guy? The wheel well on the 8 really needs your size tire.......as you probably know. How long ago did you do it and have you noticed any problems, aside from the speedo reading (it's actually probably reading closer to the true speed now).

Oh, are you running any spacers? Thanks.

And oh, and a few pics would be nice, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 05:30 AM   #8
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post

OK, you're just the person I want to talk to. I've been thinking about upsizing my tires, too. If fact, I started a thread in the General BMW News section on this topic 2 days ago https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1984646
You seem to be the first I've run across that's pulled this off.

I take it you went to 245/40/20 and 275/35/20 - if you kept the OEM wheels. These are the Alpina tire size, although it has a wider wheel set. The discussion has been whether it's prudent to increase OEM tire diameter on cars that may have been engineered for a specific tire size. The consensus (from tire shops, performance shops, BMW techs and forum people has been: No, no, no, sure, keep the four tires in the same ratio as OEM and you'll be fine, shouldn't be a problem, stay OEM.

So, did you research this, talk to anyone who might actually have knowledge of this topic or just know because you're a real car guy? The wheel well on the 8 really needs your size tire.......as you probably know. How long ago did you do it and have you noticed any problems, aside from the speedo reading (it's actually probably reading closer to the true speed now).

Oh, are you running any spacers? Thanks.

And oh, and a few pics would be nice, too.
Sorry in advance for the bad pics I can get more for you if needed. Just to be sure we are comparing apples to apples I'm on my second M850 convertible. For me I needed more sidewall because I was bending rims like crazy. I live in the NYC area and the stock tires on the M850 are ridiculous. They look like rubber bands around rims. The M8 and B8 both have more sidewall. After bending two rims on one pothole I finally had enough. Took the insurance money from the two rims went to my service advisor purchased the b8 alpina rims and the b8 sized tires. Not sure what you're referring to when you say wider wheel set. I don't know much but I know a bit. My tech at BMW of Manhattan who I totally trust gave the switch his blessing. The car rides better in my opinion. You don't lose cavity fillings when you hit a small pothole. The speedometer is more accurate. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
M8Bimmer1272.50
snowbimmer5222.50
jargon194.50
Accentu8703.50
rw99104.00
      01-17-2023, 06:56 AM   #9
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
Sorry in advance for the bad pics I can get more for you if needed. Just to be sure we are comparing apples to apples I'm on my second M850 convertible. For me I needed more sidewall because I was bending rims like crazy. I live in the NYC area and the stock tires on the M850 are ridiculous. They look like rubber bands around rims. The M8 and B8 both have more sidewall. After bending two rims on one pothole I finally had enough. Took the insurance money from the two rims went to my service advisor purchased the b8 alpina rims and the b8 sized tires. Not sure what you're referring to when you say wider wheel set. I don't know much but I know a bit. My tech at BMW of Manhattan who I totally trust gave the switch his blessing. The car rides better in my opinion. You don't lose cavity fillings when you hit a small pothole. The speedometer is more accurate. Hope this helps.
Oh, man. You're awesome. Thanks. I hear your pothole misery. I have one particular egress road that has 6 major holes. I was following a Mercedes the other day. He was driving like a drunk. He knew where they all were, too.

The Alpina is hatched out of an M850. A lot has been written about what they change, however I've never read anything that addresses the larger tire profile. But they put real tires on it. The M850 uses a very low profile on 8" fronts and 9" rears. The Alpina has a 20" wheel and a 21" wheel. They use the same width tires as the M850, 245 and 275, but they bump the rim width to 8.5" and 10". Your wheels also got pushed further out. Hence, my statement about the wider wheel set. If you went to the 21s, you'd be back to your rubber bands again. The Alpina 20s are all season. The 21s go with performance summers, and back to the pothole problem.

I'm going with a 9" front and a 10.5" rear and then upping the widths to 255 and 285 in the Spring. I ordered Michelin PS4s at the OEM height, but I really want to go your route. Do you think you could PM me your tech's info? I'd like to chat with him for a few minutes.

Aside from a better ride, how is the handling? You must give up some with the higher profile, but then get some back with the wider stance, although the tire widths still remain the same. How long have you had this setup?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 09:25 AM   #10
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus all seasons

Very smooth ride, so far gripping perfectly for my type of driving

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 4
      01-17-2023, 09:16 PM   #11
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Oh, man. You're awesome. Thanks. I hear your pothole misery. I have one particular egress road that has 6 major holes. I was following a Mercedes the other day. He was driving like a drunk. He knew where they all were, too.

The Alpina is hatched out of an M850. A lot has been written about what they change, however I've never read anything that addresses the larger tire profile. But they put real tires on it. The M850 uses a very low profile on 8" fronts and 9" rears. The Alpina has a 20" wheel and a 21" wheel. They use the same width tires as the M850, 245 and 275, but they bump the rim width to 8.5" and 10". Your wheels also got pushed further out. Hence, my statement about the wider wheel set. If you went to the 21s, you'd be back to your rubber bands again. The Alpina 20s are all season. The 21s go with performance summers, and back to the pothole problem.

I'm going with a 9" front and a 10.5" rear and then upping the widths to 255 and 285 in the Spring. I ordered Michelin PS4s at the OEM height, but I really want to go your route. Do you think you could PM me your tech's info? I'd like to chat with him for a few minutes.

Aside from a better ride, how is the handling? You must give up some with the higher profile, but then get some back with the wider stance, although the tire widths still remain the same. How long have you had this setup?

Thanks.
No problem I'll dm you tomorrow the techs number just have to check with him I'm sure it won't be a problem. As far as ride like I said it doesn't have that bone jarring feeling when you hit a pothole. Everything else is hard to tell. Understand at the same time I made the rim switch I made a tire switch. Michelin ps4S to pilot all season no choice in NYC. I'm not tracking the car but it feels similar. Tires are a bit louder. Maybe straight line speeds over 110 it doesn't feel as planted but that could be in my head or the tire make not size difference.
I mean if Alpina decided that size worked for them who am I to argue. Besides I really have no choice. Driving in the NYC area with the old spec I was bending a rim a month while being very careful. Now haven't bent one in over a year. It's amazing what a difference an inch of sidewall can do. Also this is a m850 problem our friends with m8's have about the same amount of sidewall we are looking to create.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 09:26 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus all seasons

Very smooth ride, so far gripping perfectly for my type of driving
A definite sensible choice as ran similar Continentals on my sport sedans. Total grip for anything a normal driver needs including spirited drives but definitely not a track car solution.
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW994.00
      01-17-2023, 09:30 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No problem I'll dm you tomorrow the techs number just have to check with him I'm sure it won't be a problem. As far as ride like I said it doesn't have that bone jarring feeling when you hit a pothole. Everything else is hard to tell. Understand at the same time I made the rim switch I made a tire switch. Michelin ps4S to pilot all season no choice in NYC. I'm not tracking the car but it feels similar. Tires are a bit louder. Maybe straight line speeds over 110 it doesn't feel as planted but that could be in my head or the tire make not size difference.
I mean if Alpina decided that size worked for them who am I to argue. Besides I really have no choice. Driving in the NYC area with the old spec I was bending a rim a month while being very careful. Now haven't bent one in over a year. It's amazing what a difference an inch of sidewall can do. Also this is a m850 problem our friends with m8's have about the same amount of sidewall we are looking to create.
On my second set of P Zeros and for the most part completely happy with them. They're run flats but so far not too harsh a ride whatsoever and have pushed them to the limit (140mph and 100+ in winding curves).
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 10:48 PM   #14
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Mine came with Pilot SS’s as part of the ZTK pkg. Luv Michelin Pilots, and been using them on a variety of cars since they first came out

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:54 AM   #15
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Much appreciated. And, I sure Alpina didn't make a mistake with their tires. I've just been trying to research if they do anything after BMW hatches the M850, sends it to them and then they make adjustments to compensate for the different tire size. Maybe they only re-calibrate the speedometer and call it a day. (Well, actually, I guess the car is mostly modified on the BMW production line. And then sent to Alpina for further modifications. Whatever.)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 02:37 AM   #16
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

I haven't checked the speedometer vs gps in my new car but in my old it was off about 3mph before the larger tires and perfect after. Go figure. You also asked how long I have run this setup id say 2 years. 20 months on my 2019 m850 convertible 4 months on my 2023. The rims and tires that came with my 23 haven't seen 1 mile and they are available. Lol
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5222.50
      01-18-2023, 05:35 AM   #17
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

I’ve got the Potenza S007’s and they’re horrific. I’ll be replacing all with the new Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:50 AM   #18
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
I haven't checked the speedometer vs gps in my new car but in my old it was off about 3mph before the larger tires and perfect after. Go figure. You also asked how long I have run this setup id say 2 years. 20 months on my 2019 m850 convertible 4 months on my 2023. The rims and tires that came with my 23 haven't seen 1 mile and they are available. Lol
Which rims were you destroying? I'm on the black 728M. I've had some hellacious smacks from deep potholes and, luckily, not wrecked a rim or damaged a tire. Yet. Had to replace two tires on two separate occasions on my M5s. I wanted to bill the effing city $800. So, even the higher sidewall won't make us completely immune. Gotta stay vigilant.

The tire size change amounts to about a shade over 3% difference in revolutions per mile. So you probably have one of the most correct BMW speedometers around now.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 08:16 PM   #19
rw99
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i coupe

Thanks, all, for the input and info. I bit the bullet and ordered some MPS4 All Seasons in OEM sizes. I’ll report back on my impressions of them in a few months.

And for anyone still running on S007s, keep a very watchful eye on the inside/outside shoulders of your tires. And keep ‘em fully aired up!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 01:51 AM   #20
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Resjudicata if my memory serves me correct you changed tires and opted for 35 and 40 like I did. snowbimmer needs our handholding
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5222.50
      01-21-2023, 02:07 AM   #21
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Resjudicata if my memory serves me correct you changed tires and opted for 35 and 40 like I did. snowbimmer needs our handholding
Hey!

I'm not a delicate flower.

But, yeah.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #22
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
40 front/35 rear really fills the gap…
Attached Images