M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My M8 with secondary catless dp's and resonator delete-Video!

05-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #23
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Oh thats from 2020 with a well known emotional poster LOL ...

He is a cool guy but Id take any sound posting by anyone with a grain of salt including mine. Ive just had more experience than most with the M5 and 2 M8's and the res pulls.

Thankfully whatever you do wont cost much as its just a center section and Im sure Vegas has a few good shops.
Haha you’re not kidding. Took that with a grain of salt

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574665

This was another thread, looks like you had some input here too! Hah

Ya, prices seem fair and the shop I found seems to be good for this. $180 straight $250 for xpipe. May be a moot point to pref one over the other as secondaries will overtake that when I get them from Ben
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #24
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Haha you’re not kidding. Took that with a grain of salt

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574665

This was another thread, looks like you had some input here too! Hah

Ya, prices seem fair and the shop I found seems to be good for this. $180 straight $250 for xpipe. May be a moot point to pref one over the other as secondaries will overtake that when I get them from Ben

Ha you can see that he loves to ask questions and is all over so I reply in kind and actually am .... Kind!!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 09:23 AM   #25
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Ha you can see that he loves to ask questions and is all over so I reply in kind and actually am .... Kind!!
I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? 😂
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5207.50
      06-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #26
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

So I'm in my first new M vehicle. Been mostly an AMG guy except a 2018 M5 lease I assumed some years back. If you so kindly, I have some questions to for y'all ladies and gentlemen with more experience than me.

Vic, what year is your/this M8 coupe?

For Vic or anyone else, is the vehicle's ability to pop and bang almost eliminated during break-in? My old M5 was an popping banging lil bastard from the moment I had her, but she did have 18k miles on her already when I took over the lease.
This M8c has been quiet as a church mouse in the pips and banging department. It is very very limited and muted. Is this normal for a 2023 M8c coupe with a couple hundred miles on it?

Side note, my AMGs only really limited launch control during break-in. Most other things worked fully straight out the box
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #27
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
So I'm in my first new M vehicle. Been mostly an AMG guy except a 2018 M5 lease I assumed some years back. If you so kindly, I have some questions to for y'all ladies and gentlemen with more experience than me.

For Vic or anyone else, is the vehicle's ability to pop and bang almost eliminated during break-in? My old M5 was an popping banging lil bastard from the moment I had her, but she did have 18k miles on her already when I took over the lease.
This M8c has been quiet as a church mouse in the pips and banging department. It is very very limited and muted. Is this normal for a 2023 M8c coupe with a couple hundred miles on it?

Side note, my AMGs only really limited launch control during break-in. Most other things worked fully straight out the box
@Vic55 is a rental...

BMW in 2021 had an update that removed most of the pop's and bangs that one would associate BMW's with in the past. But a nice exhaust and Sport mode you can still hear most of them, it's not as annoying. Basically they detuned the exhaust to meet regulations.

Nothing is limited in a BMW before break in you can go balls out, launch from the dealer parking lot if its warmed up etc.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
Vic5519363.50
      06-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #28
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

So Ive had a 2020 M8 GC and this car in the post is a 2023 M8 Coupe. All the pops and bangs were there from mile 1 but just not elevated like it is now with my mini exhaust mods. BMW is definitely using software to change things up because the exhaust is static over all the years the F91-93 has been out (since 2020).

The first thing you must always do is have the car in Sport Plus- this is the heaviest influence on pops and bangs. Also you need the exhaust valve button lit up and beyond that you can do some minor mods like:

Unplug the valves so its always open thru and thru (rear cannisters)
Remove Resonator
Add secondary DP's

Or you can go the more pricey route and buy a full catback system. But the easy quick way is to rack the car, turn it on, turn on sport plus, rev it up, and have some one unplud the valves in the back. The res pull is about 200-250 bucks at any muffler shop and you will get more pops/bangs. The secondary cat removal adds an additional amount of sound and bangs.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
M8Bimmer1272.50
      06-01-2023, 01:24 PM   #29
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So Ive had a 2020 M8 GC and this car in the post is a 2023 M8 Coupe. All the pops and bangs were there from mile 1 but just not elevated like it is now with my mini exhaust mods. BMW is definitely using software to change things up because the exhaust is static over all the years the F91-93 has been out (since 2020).

The first thing you must always do is have the car in Sport Plus- this is the heaviest influence on pops and bangs. Also you need the exhaust valve button lit up and beyond that you can do some minor mods like:

Unplug the valves so its always open thru and thru (rear cannisters)
Remove Resonator
Add secondary DP's

Or you can go the more pricey route and buy a full catback system. But the easy quick way is to rack the car, turn it on, turn on sport plus, rev it up, and have some one unplud the valves in the back. The res pull is about 200-250 bucks at any muffler shop and you will get more pops/bangs. The secondary cat removal adds an additional amount of sound and bangs.
Thank you very much for the info. Secondary downpipes are being ordered as we speak. I was being more careful with this car during break-in since from memory BMWs have had more complicated engine setups than the MBs. But it doesn't seem like a lot of yall keep it under 4k miles for the 1200 mile term
I will wait till after break-in for the RC, but based on current info, the secondary pipes will go in asap cos this very muted pops are annoying lol. If I want more I will add the resonator delete.

PS: I just saw the year of your car plastered all over the site lol, I was reading on my phone so no sigs or avatars
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #30
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. Secondary downpipes are being ordered as we speak. I was being more careful with this car during break-in since from memory BMWs have had more complicated engine setups than the MBs. But it doesn't seem like a lot of yall keep it under 4k miles for the 1200 mile term
I will wait till after break-in for the RC, but based on current info, the secondary pipes will go in asap cos this very muted pops are annoying lol. If I want more I will add the resonator delete.

PS: I just saw the year of your car plastered all over the site lol, I was reading on my phone so no sigs or avatars
yeah Im one of those guys that rips it day one but under proper fluid temps and no gear lugging ...

I respect those who wait because its their money but personally... Ive never followed the conservative, imho, break in procedures of any car that had one. But again thats me with no adverse issues as well.

I wont bore you with my other 12 M's but on this M8- I got the car dropped at my house and drove it to the exhaust guy for the res pull first. I think thats the best route as the secondaries take some labor and time/money. I did the RC on day 2 (Im a slacker)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 03:37 PM   #31
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah Im one of those guys that rips it day one but under proper fluid temps and no gear lugging ...

I respect those who wait because its their money but personally... Ive never followed the conservative, imho, break in procedures of any car that had one. But again thats me with no adverse issues as well.

I wont bore you with my other 12 M's but on this M8- I got the car dropped at my house and drove it to the exhaust guy for the res pull first. I think thats the best route as the secondaries take some labor and time/money. I did the RC on day 2 (Im a slacker)
Lol, slacker indeed.
That's all good info, I have never followed the conservative break-in either on any other car (except this one). It's the Valvetronic system (no throttle-body, using valves to interpret throttle input) that got me a little freaked, but it's been 20 years since that was introduced by BMW and they should have that dialed in by now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:19 PM   #32
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So final question, I have launch control active??? I didn't even bother to try it since its locked out on AMGs till 1k miles
(car is at the detailer getting ceramic coated etc etc so might be a couple of days before I get her back)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #33
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So final question, I have launch control active??? I didn't even bother to try it since its locked out on AMGs till 1k miles
(car is at the detailer getting ceramic coated etc etc so might be a couple of days before I get her back)
LC is active day 1 ...

My 2018 E63S was active day 1 too... last AMG I owned. Never took it to service LOL.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:24 AM   #34
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LC is active day 1 ...

My 2018 E63S was active day 1 too... last AMG I owned. Never took it to service LOL.

Definitely a change, mine was software locked out till I went out of.breakin. Was a 2021 though.

Did the ER secondary from Ben and surprise surprise,.I want more. Still not quite up to (stock) AMG levels.

Sooo from my perspective ( for anyone still asking), secondaries first is quite an awesome way to go. Sound volume is slightly increased, but mostly increased underload. It's still stock sounding with a little added volume and a few random additional pops and bangs.

Next up, custom H-pipe/resonator delete. I found the X pipe to be underwhelming on my old M5, but I'm worried about a full straight pipe on low loads (speculative drone).
Current upcoming design will be the two 3 inch pipes joined by a much smaller 2 inch connector (yes Vic, even 2 additional inches makes a world of difference).

I will make sure to make before (ER secondary only) and after (plus h pipe) videos when I do this in the next couple of weeks.
But I bet it will just sound like Vics car except a little quieter under low loads
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00