M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M Performance Exhaust Question

03-12-2023, 02:54 PM   #45
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Hey Ben
What is your opinion on that Dinan valve controller unit. Does or have you installed one?
Does anybody here use one?
Yes, I've installed a few.
It is an ok product.

Things I don't like about it.
1. It is not plug 'n play. You will need run a wire through the trunk and connect to ignition 12V.
2. With it, you'll only be able to do fully open or fully close the valve. You can't run it as stock anymore.

IIRC, I think all of the valve controllers are passive bypass.
The only one that will work passively and actively, would be Akrapovic, but you will need to have their exhaust system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Thanks Ben. That illustrates it really well. Perhaps the M8 won’t be enhanced much from a muffler delete, but from how the M850i’s system is laid out, replacing that thing with an X pipe will probably be the bee’s knees
Exactly, M8 muffler delete won't do much.
While on M850, a muffler delete would unleash the V8 growl.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 12:06 PM   #46
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Yes, I've installed a few.
It is an ok product.

Things I don't like about it.
1. It is not plug 'n play. You will need run a wire through the trunk and connect to ignition 12V.
2. With it, you'll only be able to do fully open or fully close the valve. You can't run it as stock anymore.

IIRC, I think all of the valve controllers are passive bypass.
The only one that will work passively and actively, would be Akrapovic, but you will need to have their exhaust system.

Exactly, M8 muffler delete won't do much.
While on M850, a muffler delete would unleash the V8 growl.
And just to confirm when you say muffler delete on the M850, you are referring to the suitcase muffle at the very end of the car, OR, the mid resonator half way through the system?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12979.00
      03-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #47
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
And just to confirm when you say muffler delete on the M850, you are referring to the suitcase muffle at the very end of the car, OR, the mid resonator half way through the system?
Yes, the suitcase.
It has the most packing material and chambers to quiet down the exhaust noise.
Appreciate 1
ksa1072.50
      03-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #48
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the suitcase.
It has the most packing material and chambers to quiet down the exhaust noise.
Vic had mentioned earlier that removing the suitcase would result in drone and what not, is that not the case then on the m850? Maybe he was referring to the M8.

My exhaust shop in the past has mentioned to me that on turbo cars if you just remove the muffler (suitcase) it typically doesn't make MUCH of a difference to the sound and only removing the mid-resonator makes a noticeable difference.

I had suitcase removal done on my Alfa Romeo Giulia and it literally didn't make any difference at all. Is the M850 suitcase removal situation different then? If so, I would get the muffle removed and either have straight pipes going in the back or get an x-pipe depending on what is recommended?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12979.00
      03-13-2023, 12:36 PM   #49
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Vic had mentioned earlier that removing the suitcase would result in drone and what not, is that not the case then on the m850? Maybe he was referring to the M8.

My exhaust shop in the past has mentioned to me that on turbo cars if you just remove the muffler (suitcase) it typically doesn't make MUCH of a difference to the sound and only removing the mid-resonator makes a noticeable difference.

I had suitcase removal done on my Alfa Romeo Giulia and it literally didn't make any difference at all. Is the M850 suitcase removal situation different then? If so, I would get the muffle removed and either have straight pipes going in the back or get an x-pipe depending on what is recommended?
I know that that would be the case with M8.
I can't say on M850, never done it.

Generally, by looking at the size, the bigger size will dampen more noise.

Giulia would be different case, I believe it still have secondary muffler and resonator in the middle.

Since this is something that never been done, you can try straight pipe it and add a cross pipe if it drone.
I don't think you will hear the droning since 8 series is well insulated.
Appreciate 1
ksa1072.50
      03-13-2023, 12:57 PM   #50
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know that that would be the case with M8.
I can't say on M850, never done it.

Generally, by looking at the size, the bigger size will dampen more noise.

Giulia would be different case, I believe it still have secondary muffler and resonator in the middle.

Since this is something that never been done, you can try straight pipe it and add a cross pipe if it drone.
I don't think you will hear the droning since 8 series is well insulated.
Thanks for the info, I will chat with my local exhaust shop and see about perhaps doing this to give it a go. I want the quad exhaust look at the back anyway, so if I am doing something with that, it makes sense to enhance the sound at the same time if possible.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12979.00
TupperBMW998.50
      03-13-2023, 02:28 PM   #51
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Are you talking about the mid resonator on the m850 or the big suitcase muffler at the very end? If you do end up doing it, please update us.
^ Well, the main thing holding up my "removing the suitcase" is that this car is my DD and I often get out to work early in the mornings. The cold start would probably be pretty loud, so........

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12979.00
      03-14-2023, 03:33 PM   #52
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^ Well, the main thing holding up my "removing the suitcase" is that this car is my DD and I often get out to work early in the mornings. The cold start would probably be pretty loud, so........

That should be no reason to not do it bro and I don't see how that would be your problem and not a neighbour problem. Cold start only lasts a few seconds anyway so don't think it would be that bad.

I am hoping that you do it before me so I can see what it sounds like before actually going ahead with it on my end.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 10:16 PM   #53
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:

That 7k is actually more like 9500 in Canadian dollars. Plus shipping...nope. Not a correct value there to me. At 4K i might consider it.
With you on that one. Duty, shipping, installation, it’s a lot. But people like their sound.

I did the secondary cat delete and it’s an improvement but it’s not significant.

I decided to put that money into the KW V4 shocks, courtesy of Ben, which transformed the car significantly including the 19 pound flow form Apex race wheels.

If I would have put it into the exhaust I would actually have to throttle down on the straight of this new track in my area with the strict noise bylaw. Gotta admit though, most people will put it into the exhaust and are more than happy with their otherwise stock underperforming, overpriced, disappointing non-race car, GT M8. Lol no I didn’t say that. But a loud one at that.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12979.00
      03-15-2023, 12:03 AM   #54
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
With you on that one. Duty, shipping, installation, it’s a lot. But people like their sound.

I did the secondary cat delete and it’s an improvement but it’s not significant.

I decided to put that money into the KW V4 shocks, courtesy of Ben, which transformed the car significantly including the 19 pound flow form Apex race wheels.

If I would have put it into the exhaust I would actually have to throttle down on the straight of this new track in my area with the strict noise bylaw. Gotta admit though, most people will put it into the exhaust and are more than happy with their otherwise stock underperforming, overpriced, disappointing non-race car, GT M8. Lol no I didn’t say that. But a loud one at that.
Of course being here in Canada you must concede that we get screwed like nobody else does.
For instance we rarely get free shipping. Why is it if we pay the same as any American for something we don't get free shipping as is often offered if in the United States? I see free shipping in the USA on many many goods and items. But if you're in Canada....not a chance. You DON'T get free shipping. WHY? I understand there is a big cost difference in shipping over the border. But how about a discount even off the shipping price we are always charged. Does our purchase not count as anything when they got the same money from us? To be fair though I do buy from some US companies that offer free shipping to Canada as well. BRAVO! They get my business much easier.

As an example. I was buying a restaurant style grill from a seller in Florida who had a good deal on one. They offered FREE shipping in any USA state. It is heavy. But because I am in Canada the shipping was going to be $478.00 dollars Canadian. Plus broker fee's and Exchange rate, duty and taxes. $2400.00 dollars Canadian for a $1100. USD grill. More than double. Cuz I live here. Fuck that shit! No free for me.
I like sound too. I just feel these exhaust systems are stupid money for what they are. At 1/3 of the price of a crappy new small car they are out of proportion. They are not simply titanium they seem to be made of un-abtainium. Essentially I'd be throwing away my stock M8 exhaust (valued at what?) 5k maybe. to then spend another 10k for more sound. Add those 2 together and that's a shit load of money for more noise. I like Vic55's fix better. A few cable ties.
It's like any of these parts or accessories for these cars. They see us coming. It seems sellers of anything BMW get a gleam in their eye. Not sure if the price may also be proportional of the model as well.
Not having any other BMW's I couldn't tell you that.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12979.00
ksa1072.50
      03-15-2023, 02:07 AM   #55
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I thought it would still get more sound but speaking with Ben who is an SME M expert r33_RGSport he said my gains from removing the cans wont make a big deal as the valves are wide open on my setup.

M valving is still dynamic much like the 992's and that does hinder sound even at reasonable rpms. I dont have that issue anymore.
So you tied valves and did res delete?

I assume in comfort mode car sounds deeper. And sport + burbles much more pronounced?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #56
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
So you tied valves and did res delete?

I assume in comfort mode car sounds deeper. And sport + burbles much more pronounced?
Yes, yes, and yes.

But I have not driven the car ever in comfort mode- I literally get in the car and push the M1 button twice (pre start) and its fired up in S+.

Sport plus under load and gear shifts shouts out a bang on change and the coast burbles and pops are louder but not over the top. But I want more so Im going to go secondary pull as well.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2023, 01:31 AM   #57
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Of course being here in Canada you must concede that we get screwed like nobody else does.
For instance we rarely get free shipping. Why is it if we pay the same as any American for something we don't get free shipping as is often offered if in the United States? I see free shipping in the USA on many many goods and items. But if you're in Canada....not a chance. You DON'T get free shipping. WHY? I understand there is a big cost difference in shipping over the border. But how about a discount even off the shipping price we are always charged. Does our purchase not count as anything when they got the same money from us? To be fair though I do buy from some US companies that offer free shipping to Canada as well. BRAVO! They get my business much easier.

As an example. I was buying a restaurant style grill from a seller in Florida who had a good deal on one. They offered FREE shipping in any USA state. It is heavy. But because I am in Canada the shipping was going to be $478.00 dollars Canadian. Plus broker fee's and Exchange rate, duty and taxes. $2400.00 dollars Canadian for a $1100. USD grill. More than double. Cuz I live here. Fuck that shit! No free for me.
I like sound too. I just feel these exhaust systems are stupid money for what they are. At 1/3 of the price of a crappy new small car they are out of proportion. They are not simply titanium they seem to be made of un-abtainium. Essentially I'd be throwing away my stock M8 exhaust (valued at what?) 5k maybe. to then spend another 10k for more sound. Add those 2 together and that's a shit load of money for more noise. I like Vic55's fix better. A few cable ties.
It's like any of these parts or accessories for these cars. They see us coming. It seems sellers of anything BMW get a gleam in their eye. Not sure if the price may also be proportional of the model as well.
Not having any other BMW's I couldn't tell you that.
Man you just went off. Lol. Last time it was speed limits, no? Haha. I don’t think you should live in Canada? All good. How about those Canadian gun laws?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:44 AM   #58
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

I pulled the fuse out on my M5 and it made it a little louder with the valve open but I’m not sure how it works in the BMW exhausts….namely….Mercedes and Porsche have valves but even when they are “open” they aren’t open all the way still. You have to buy the module for that.

I bought a ASR module from Germany (Renntech just has ASR relabel them with the Renntech label). The ASR one was $500 and the Renntech one is $900 (again, exact same module). You can’t pull a fuse in Mercedes like you can for the BMW in terms of the flaps because you will get a CEL on the Benz.

I definitely would go Akra. I think the OEM M performance is overpriced for what you get.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #59
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Man you just went off. Lol. Last time it was speed limits, no? Haha. I don’t think you should live in Canada? All good. How about those Canadian gun laws?
HAHAH your right. Canada sucks a lot more now than ever.
Yup my city just lowered all school zones to 30km per hour. Other streets are 40kmh. That's 24mph. Fucking ridiculous! How about the restaurant patio on city streets now There's a brilliant idea huh?
Canadians are the best sheep.
Gun Laws...you mean the ones emperor Trudope has imposed? ( We actually have a cannabis strain named after him) The gun laws he just decided by making gun laws on his own. Forced seizures or buy backs. Yup he's a putz!
Theses american guys would have a heart attack if he ever got his way in the USA. Talk about a gun war.
Unfortunately both countries have it wrong imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #60
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit M850

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Did a resonator delete on mine and definitely improved the sound profile. For some reason having it repiped to fit on quad tips made it sound even louder. In terms of loudness, mine starts in sports+ thanks to r33_RGSport but if i switch it to comfort mode and startup still loud but not annoy the neighbors loud.

Definitely worth a resonator delete to start imo.
      12-16-2023, 12:07 AM   #61
wfoM8
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyNot View Post
The m performance exhaust on the M8 is made by Boysen

https://boysen-online.de/en/company/we-are-boysen/

The M5/M8 system does have valves.
Where would the valves be located? I can not find any valves.
Question: does the F93 M8 competition gran coupe with m performance exhaust have artificial sound piped in? If it does, how would you disconnect it?
Appreciate 0