M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Wheels M850i

12-23-2023, 05:45 PM   #1
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 840iGC

Wheels M850i

Hi all. New here. New also to BMW save for my father’s old 750iL 12cyl :-D

Looking at a pre-owned 2022 M850i GC xdrive. See pic. Anyone familiar with these wheels? Not sure how I feel about them and I haven’t seen the car in person yet (it’s 3 states away). Honestly my preference anyway is for black gloss. Can’t decide if it’s a dealbreaker. It’s a big purchase for me so I’d love to have all (or most) of the specs I like (would’ve preferred blue calipers) and I’ve got some time. This car has most of the other options I want including B&W audio and low miles. Thoughts. Thank you.
Edit : the tires are 20" M 729 bi-color RF.

PS: Another question: my previous cars have been V8’s but I’m wary of BMW’s. I know they’re more reliable today than years ago. But I don’t work on my own cars (my ex did but… haha he’s now my ex) and I want to be sure I will do all the Right Maintenance to waylay any issues. How often should the oil be changed and should I worry about engine heat and coolant? Etc (I know, it’s silly for me to express this concern in such a forum as this!)
I’ve been considering the 840i GC too.

This is such an amazing forum, I’ve been literally addicted to reading all the posts and oggling the amazing photos. If I get this or another candidate you can be sure I’ll be here to bore you all with my rookie questions. I’m ready for any deserved snark and yawns.
Attached Images

Last edited by MagnificoRoad; 12-23-2023 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 07:36 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In regard to services due (oil etc)…your BMW will tell you if you’re not one to keep up with this stuff. Just do a google search for “BMW CBS” or “BMW Condition Based Services”. There is a vehicle STATUS screen you can pull up at anytime in iDrive that will give you a list of when a service will be due. Either by time or date…which ever comes first.

Here’s an example from older BMWs which are a few iDrive versions older than what you’re looking at.

If the icon is RED (service is overdue)
If the icon is AMBER (service is now due or coming due real soon)
If the icon is GREEN (service is OK for now)
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-23-2023 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2023, 08:48 PM   #3
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Yes figured the car would tell me but I was under the impression that regardless of that it’s a good idea to do changes more frequently than suggested (by the car or the service dept). I.e. something like every 4,000 miles… is that hogwash and am I concerned with a nothingburger? If so I’d be happy to just follow the alerts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
In regard to services due (oil etc)…your BMW will tell you if you’re not one to keep up with this stuff. Just do a google search for “BMW CBS” or “BMW Condition Based Services”. There is a vehicle STATUS screen you can pull up at anytime in iDrive that will give you a list of when a service will be due. Either by time or date…which ever comes first.

Here’s an example from older BMWs which are a few iDrive versions older than what you’re looking at.

If the icon is RED (service is overdue)
If the icon is AMBER (service is now due or coming due real soon)
If the icon is GREEN (service is OK for now)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 04:32 AM   #4
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificoRoad View Post
Thanks! Yes figured the car would tell me but I was under the impression that regardless of that it’s a good idea to do changes more frequently than suggested (by the car or the service dept). I.e. something like every 4,000 miles… is that hogwash and am I concerned with a nothingburger? If so I’d be happy to just follow the alerts.
Hogwash.

I like the wheels.

I have an 840GC. In the real world,it is a brilliant car, better than pretty much everything else in the road. I plan on keeping mine for eight years or more.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

Seaford- ty! Curious, did you set out to get an 840i in the beginning or did you consider both that and the M850i? If both, what drove your decision in the end? Since I’m likely buying pre-owned, my budget allows for either as even the low mileage ones are well priced compared with new. And originally, I was aiming for a B58 because it’s a great engine. But there have been many more M850’s so far with the specs I want. So I feel like I’m likely to end up with one powerful car. Did you test drive both? Any thoughts on the exhaust sound between the two? Tia!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I think these are cool looking wheels. You can always powder coat them if you get bored. What's the interior color?
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks vencid78. Powder coat could be in their future. Wish I could see them in action. I looked online but couldn't find a vid yet.

So this car's interior is black, which is not my preference either. lol. I mean for me it's better than ivory (I work on a farm and I have a black Lab, no he won't be seeing the inside of my 8 series on the daily like my Overland). I really wanted Tartuffo/black, or even Cognac. But beggars can't be choosers. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the exact pre-owned specimen, don't anyone hold their breath tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencid78 View Post
I think these are cool looking wheels. You can always powder coat them if you get bored. What's the interior color?
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 11:04 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

If those are quality wheels, I really like the look. They remind me of Alpina wheels. But I like them silver. A car WITH black wheels would be a deal killer for me. Especially a dark car.

Why are you a beggar? Are there none for sale with an interior you want in the country?
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 11:10 AM   #9
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

The only time I'm for black wheels is when they're gloss. Certain others tend to always look dirty to me. But generally a certain wheel color isn't a requirement.

Several Alpinas roaming around where I live. Will take a closer look when I next see one.

Not a beggar as an absolute but what I've been seeing is either the interior I want without the exterior I want, vice versa, or without another option I really want. It's driving me crazy (but not enough to buy new and take the depreciation hit). I'm buying cpo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
If those are quality wheels, I really like the look. They remind me of Alpina wheels. But I like them silver. A car WITH black wheels would be a deal killer for me. Especially a dark car.

Why are you a beggar? Are there none for sale with an interior you want in the country?
      12-24-2023, 06:36 PM   #10
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

MagnificoRoad, I built my 2022 M850 vert with these 729 20" wheels and I am quite pleased with my decision. Keep in mind they are a bit more tedious to keep clean with the tight spacing of the spokes. Most everyone has who sees them on my car loves them and I think they look great on the car your considering. Here's a close up picture for you to check out.

Name:  20231224_182153.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  320.9 KB
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2023, 07:21 PM   #11
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

yugrac - thank you, great to hear (and see), I was hoping someone with the wheels would chime in. Do you know if they can be used with all season tires, (performance or not)?
      12-24-2023, 07:50 PM   #12
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Do you know if they can be used with all season tires, (performance or not)?
Absolutely
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2023, 12:17 AM   #13
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Hey MagnificoRoad, the 729M wheels look good, especially in gloss black.
Name:  Black 729M wheels.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  435.6 KB

Of course, I am a big fan of black wheels. If I ever get an Alpina, the first thing I'd do is powder coat the wheels.

I needed snows for a few weeks last year when I got my M850. I was able to use my old 664M set from my M550. They are multi-spoke black, not too dissimilar to the 729M. I think your picture was probably Tanzy - mine's Carbon Black for comparison.
Name:  Car4.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  651.4 KB
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #14
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

Snowbimmer: awesome thank you! (And yes… Tanzy though I’d love CB as well. I’m a navy lover, I think it looks very classy on an already classy car). How do you handle salt? I’m in the NE and worry about it but I am not one to over-baby or over-garage my car more than enjoy my car. Btw I am speechless at your road trip posts and photos. Kudos in every way.

ps - can someone tell me how to tag a name when I reply to their post? Thx!
      12-25-2023, 10:01 AM   #15
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Snowbimmer: awesome thank you! (And yes… Tanzy though I’d love CB as well. I’m a navy lover, I think it looks very classy on an already classy car). How do you handle salt? I’m in the NE and worry about it but I am not one to over-baby or over-garage my car more than enjoy my car. Btw I am speechless at your road trip posts and photos. Kudos in every way. ps - can someone tell me how to tag a name when I reply to their post? Thx!
Thx......this car is meant for road trips.

We don't worry about salt because we're not allowed to salt. Well.......after a couple recent years of really nasty snowstorms and 1000s of abandoned cars, the city relinquished the ban, but still hardly ever uses it.

Tag someone by first typing @, then the username. You'll get a dropdown list when you are close.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2023, 10:10 AM   #16
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep

snowbimmer

Gotcha!
      12-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
… How do you handle salt? I’m in the NE and worry about it but I am not one to over-baby or over-garage my car more than enjoy my car. …
In regard to winter driving…do remember that the outer skin materials consist of aluminum, magnesium, and carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP). So there is not a lot of body materials that are prone to rust on modern BMWs.

The underbody bolts & bits along with gaskets etc would be affected the most by winter road conditions.

But when you get the car up in the air for service…many BMW dealerships now do a walk around video that the send to you…and if there’s a lot of rust…trust me, they would let you know because they can add it to the “inspection list” they can show to perhaps get you back for more $ervices.

The G chassis BMWs aren’t listed on the chart below…but you can see how the outer skin material of many of the F chassis BMWs in the chart below:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1