M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Anyone else considering a G37 Coupe as their next car?

08-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #133
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjotM View Post
how come no mercedes in that luxury and performance lineup of yours?
When I was looking to buy, I found that Benz weren't that popular with reliability. Since they brought the new C-class, I wasn't too thrilled about its new design either. I've picked it and have made my comradery.
      08-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #134
simp0man
Cambodia
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I think you just proved his point. The point being that BMW has crafted a brand image that you (rightly or wrongly, I'm not going to judge) have bought into. What's so hard to grasp about that?
The original arguement was that one blogger said that I had an identity crisis that lead me to buy a bimmer. I responded I chose BMW because they already have that status and that there is no wrong in buying it that way. Is there?
      08-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #135
HarjotM
Test Pilot :)
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp0man View Post
When I was looking to buy, I found that Benz weren't that popular with reliability. Since they brought the new C-class, I wasn't too thrilled about its new design either. I've picked it and have made my comradary.

design is something thats arguable since its each to their own
On the way: Saphire Black 335i / Coral Red leather Interior / Aluminum Trim / 6 Speed paddle shifters / Active Steer / Logic 7 Sound system / Sports Package/Premium Package / Navigation / Comfort Access / Bluetooth & BMW Assist / Factory Alarm / 3M protection full facial hood protection

With Me: '05 325i Silver Grey with black leather, 5spd Tiptronic , sports package and premium package

'98 Civic EX sedan Dark Green, 4spd auto

Departed: '02 Boxster 'S' Silver with Red leather int, 6spd
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #136
simp0man
Cambodia
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
design is something thats arguable since its each to their own
I love all the other models but the start in line-up this year isn't as attractive as it used to be. The bimmer came to me at a right time. I wanted a luxury coupe that had some performance and 3 coupe just came out so I couldn't pass that opportunity. There were coupes out there but the 3 was the best at the time under my budget.
      08-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #137
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
sir I fail to see why you feel the need to justify your decision or temptation to go with G37.
G37 is a great car and a better value than 335i , why bother what others think? its your money, your car and YOU be the one driving it, the hell with everyone else. This is a bmw forum, do you really expect majority to say g37>335? in value its definitely better no doubt!
IF you are looking for people who use to own a bmw 3er (other than 335) and were thinking about 335 or G37 then my guess is ONLY the ones that chose 335 are still here, the ones that chose G37 have left this forum and joined infinity forums.

go with the G....better bang for buck, you know you want to
I'm not justifying my temptation (although I can see why it comes across like that). Initially, I was really only replying to HotIce's question to give him my thoughts on the comparison. What I get annoyed with (and therefore debate) is the intolerance for any discussion on a competitive car to a BMW without immature and unsupported comments. Ignorance and intolerance are REALLY annoying.

I really have NOT decided against the 335i. I love that car. I'm just throwing out an alternative and calling people out on their blind, one sided comments. We should be allowed to discuss options... without the uninformed fanboy peanut gallery taking over. And that isn't to say that someone who has truly compared the 2 can't prefer one to the other and have a strong opinion but I would bet a large proportion of those giving their "opinions" have NEVER driven the car they are dismissing and many who say they have driven one really have only seen one or sat in one without an extended test drive. If you've spent enough time in one and prefer a 335i (I know I do) then great, share your experience. If you have truly driven a G37s, I guarantee you would not then compare it to an Altima or Lada... that just shows lack of knowledge/experience/fanboyism. Both the 335i and G37s are truly great cars in their class.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #138
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
^ 100% agree. I've frequented a number of car forums and I have to say that the amount of "fanboy-itis" here is probably the most fervent I've ever seen. It seems like fans of every other car company can readily admit where their cars are beat, or at the least, what aspects of their cars are lacking when compared to the competition, except BMW fanboys. It's frustrating, to say the least.
      08-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #139
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

Get the G. You won't have these crazy fuel pump problems. I can't believe I just dished out $44K and my car is already starting to exhibit fp issues

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #140
HarjotM
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkishexpress View Post
Get the G. You won't have these crazy fuel pump problems. I can't believe I just dished out $44K and my car is already starting to exhibit fp issues
bloody hell? seriously? man oh man I would be so pissed. I guess I am lucky that I have had no such problem, and also my car has oil cooler, that might help.
On the way: Saphire Black 335i / Coral Red leather Interior / Aluminum Trim / 6 Speed paddle shifters / Active Steer / Logic 7 Sound system / Sports Package/Premium Package / Navigation / Comfort Access / Bluetooth & BMW Assist / Factory Alarm / 3M protection full facial hood protection

With Me: '05 325i Silver Grey with black leather, 5spd Tiptronic , sports package and premium package

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #141
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

It's sad when people state that a RWD Infiniti and FWD nissan are the same brand .....I hope I don't see the day when someone says '' BMW 3 series is just a hyped up Mini".
      08-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #142
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post
why should I get a G37? It's just another Japanese-made car.

Let's say, 10 years from today, I'm sure that G37 would look ugly. A 10 year old E90 would still look good.
E90 already looks blah.., how do you expect it to be looking good in 10 years? now, u be lucky in 10 years your E90 still moves without problem, cuz that japanese car will drive the same now as 10 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #143
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I'm tired of keeping my cars for years and years...

I plan on turning over my cars every 3 years or so. In that timeframe, the G37 looks pretty nice. AND (once again I mention this) you can get an honest-to-goodness limited slip diff.
      08-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #144
HarjotM
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
E90 already looks blah.., how do you expect it to be looking good in 10 years? now, u be lucky in 10 years your E90 still moves without problem, cuz that japanese car will drive the same now as 10 years from now.
sorry buddy not infinity , honda and toyota is a different story.

if your e90 falls apart in 10yrs, dont count on that G37 to go any longer either
think ima gonna save tons of money and get the new nsx tahts coming under honda's banner

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #145
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i've had Infiniti and Hondas, i know them pretty well. they hold up well... not so sure about the BMWs but wont matter, cuz i wont keep it for 10 yeras..lol. i will likely NEVER keep a German car pass the warranty period, plus there are always newer, better toys out in a few years that one would want so.. it's all good. however, if i ever want to buy a car to keep for a long time, there is no other ways than japanese cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #146
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
think ima gonna save tons of money and get the new nsx tahts coming under honda's banner
That be some mighty big pile o' coin ye be passin' over to the Wizards at Honda.

Seriously, what's the estimated cost of the upcoming NSX? $80k? More?
      08-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #147
HarjotM
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
That be some mighty big pile o' coin ye be passin' over to the Wizards at Honda.

Seriously, what's the estimated cost of the upcoming NSX? $80k? More?
the outgoing model was selling for 140cnd so i am guessing it'll be close to that since this one will have a bigger engine. But once I have that kinda money it'll be a tossup between nsx and m6 unless other contenders show up lol

but +1 on ditching the german ride after warranty, its tad risky to keep it.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #148
AmexBlackG5
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many to list

You guy's should definatley go check out the G37 they are great car's big improvements over the G35.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #149
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^ - only down side is it got so much uglier. G35 coupe was one of a kind when it first came out and somehow, Nissan messed up the G37 :/ i know cuz i had an 05 G35 coupe and looked at the G37.. it's all around a nice car but it has lost that sex apeal of the first gen.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #150
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I have the 03 G35 coupe (still love it) and when the G37 came out I went to look at it with high expectations...I was a tad disappointed, in person it just doesn't seem to flow very well appearance wise, though the interior was somewhat pleasing to look at and it offered many up to date technology features, it did not move me. On the other hand, my first engagement with the 335i blew me away...it really came down to handling and built quality for me, and I'm pleased to say that I do not regret my decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #151
Japanese_Racer
S65B40 FTMFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 E34 540i, 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

For those of you who are wondering, yes the Altima coupe is similar to the Infinity G series, but yet so different. My sister drives a 3.5SE Altima V6 Coupe. Its a awesome car no doubt. Gas milage isn't the best, but not the worst either, the interior is amazing for the price, and reliablility is a for sure thing. I personally would have opted for the G37 since its just sportier all around, but it was my sisters car, not mine.

Also, for those of you who think Japanese cars will not last too much longer than a German car, drive down the 405 or any major highway/street and see what the ratio of old Japanese cars (Honda Civic's, Toyota Corolla's, Toyota Camry's, etc.) compared to German cars (Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Audi, etc.) You'll see WAY more Japanese cars. German engineered cars are awesome, but they've got nothing on Japanese engineered cars. Just look at the Skyline series and the new GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #152
HarjotM
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese_Racer View Post
For those of you who are wondering, yes the Altima coupe is similar to the Infinity G series, but yet so different. My sister drives a 3.5SE Altima V6 Coupe. Its a awesome car no doubt. Gas milage isn't the best, but not the worst either, the interior is amazing for the price, and reliablility is a for sure thing. I personally would have opted for the G37 since its just sportier all around, but it was my sisters car, not mine.

Also, for those of you who think Japanese cars will not last too much longer than a German car, drive down the 405 or any major highway/street and see what the ratio of old Japanese cars (Honda Civic's, Toyota Corolla's, Toyota Camry's, etc.) compared to German cars (Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Audi, etc.) You'll see WAY more Japanese cars. German engineered cars are awesome, but they've got nothing on Japanese engineered cars. Just look at the Skyline series and the new GT-R.
haha calm down we agree that HONDA and TOYOTA are reliable no doubt. Nissan is a different bird, since its INFINITY brand is competing with german cars, the reliability has stooped to their level as well BUT hey its still miled better than vw haha

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #153
HarjotM
Canada
Rep

oh and I LOVE HONDA

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #154
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

for those that keep saying Nissan/Infiniti reliability is at the german level (which is quite low), what's the prove? i know honda and toyota are hands down most reliable.. i've owned Honda and familie shas had/ stil have Toyota, i agree, nothing touches them. however, i had an 05 G35 coupe and it was nothing but reliable. i havent heard too many reliability issues with Nissans, maybe except the tire feathering issues but those were only on the earlier Z/Gs.. not a big deal considering our bimmers have failed fule pump, overheat, etc.. which sure are much worse than tire feathering..

i would take my chance with any japanese cars (and that includes Nissan) over any german made cars when it comes to reliability and i can confidently say most would do the same.
Appreciate 0