M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos If you had $13,000 or less to spend on a car...

09-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #23
RickE46M3
SHWSTPR
United_States
Rep
Drives: Accord, SRT-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
I've always been partial to the e34 M5's. There are a few on autotrader under 13k, but have over a hundred grand on them. They will definitely get you in the 14sec 1/4 mile, and you'd be a pimp for driving such a classic.

What about the e34 M5, not bad looking cars... not TOO slow but hows about the reliability?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #24
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I'd be worried about any car with over 100,000 miles on it.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #25
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickE46M3 View Post
What about the e34 M5, not bad looking cars... not TOO slow but hows about the reliability?
Reliability is pretty good considering. The mileage might be a concern, but as with everything buyer beware. If the previous owner put time and care into it I don't see why it couldn't last 2-300,000 miles. Downside is that parts might be a little expensive because it's an "M" model ... at least on the engine components. The rest are mostly generic 5 series things that are fairly cheap now because there is little demand for them. I really really thought about picking one up as my weekend project/show car. I love their looks and heritage. When you drive one of these down the boulevard people will notice you for sure.

Here is a nice writeup from a guy who bought a /92 M5

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_94948.html
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

240sx, mr2, DSM, Cobra

All of them are either RWD or AWD, look good, and have great power potential.
      09-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #27
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

E36 M3 for sure... perfect all around car
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #28
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

I noticed a lot of you guys suggesting an e36 M3, I would stay away from one if $13k is his limit IMO. Reason being that it's probly on it's 3rd owner, and has probly been beaten on. No one buys an M3 and drives it like a Camry. On top of that, maintenance can be expensive, and IF something were to give, it's not a cheap fix.

You can find an 03' Evo for maybe $14,500-$15,500, which is a little high for what he's asking. But I didn't recommend it because of the same reasons. The parts are going to be cheaper, but it's definatly been beaten on, and again, it's a high maintenance car.
      09-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #29
RickE46M3
SHWSTPR
United_States
Rep
Drives: Accord, SRT-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
I noticed a lot of you guys suggesting an e36 M3, I would stay away from one if $13k is his limit IMO. Reason being that it's probly on it's 3rd owner, and has probly been beaten on. No one buys an M3 and drives it like a Camry. On top of that, maintenance can be expensive, and IF something were to give, it's not a cheap fix.

You can find an 03' Evo for maybe $14,500-$15,500, which is a little high for what he's asking. But I didn't recommend it because of the same reasons. The parts are going to be cheaper, but it's definatly been beaten on, and again, it's a high maintenance car.
Big negative on that EVO price range, you are about $4-5,000 too low. Even higher mileage 03's
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #30
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I am coming from a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 w/ an AGP WGA set @ 18PSI, CTi 3" Side exit exhaust, Maddog 72% STS, Progress springs, Mopar BOV, 20% Window tint, CTA black housing headlights, Wing delete, Viper seats and Khumo Ecsta ASX tires.

I sold the car because I got tired of the "neonness" of the car, the power was great, the handling was very good, the seats and shifter where awsome, the mod response was great and so was the exhaust note. I just got tired of the FWD/Neonness of it. I respect them, I miss my car and there is NOTHING that can do what it does for the price but I wanted to settle some debt, and get myself back on track so I replaced it with a 1998 Honda Accord LX Automatic with 105k that I paid $5,200 for... good gas mileage, low operating cost and I can sell it easily if I want to.

I am tired of my Accord and I am getting the itch of having a nicer car. My friend just bought another RSX and is starting his modification process, I am semi-jelous. I wish I had myself a car I can play with, modify... something I look forward to getting into every day. I live in Maine so my options are limited unless I want to put up with not being able to drive whatever I buy 365 days a year. What do you think I should get and why or why not?

-$13,000 FINANCED BUDGET: (I don't want to hear... "Buy this car for $6,000... take the other $7,000 and turbo/supercharge it"... I don't have $13,000 in cash to spend. I will have a car note)

Things I would like out of my car:

-A car I don't have to drive like I'm on egg shells, on ramp fun, off ramp fun, maybe a few 1/4 mile track visits, maybe a road course or two... a car I can have fun with, modify and not have to worry about things breaking because they are weak

-AWD or RWD are preferred however I understand my budget may not allow me to have EVERYthing that I want

-I'd like a car that will run 14's or better with minor bolt ons... Not a car that will get me into 14's after $2,000 dollars worth of bolt ons.

-A car that has decent or better build quality, again I understand I may have to sacrifice this to achieve what I want to achieve but take this into consideration that nice materials are a plus but not a must.

-Something relatively attractive, no VW beetles, no Ford Festivas or Honda FITs... something that isn't straight up gross looking

-Something that handles well out of the box or can be made to be capable or excellent in the handling department with some modifcation (I don't want to have to spend my entire modification budget on turning dump truck handling into good enough)

-Reliable, nothing that is tempermental in stock form or modification... I think this rules out most VW/DSM right? or am I wrong?

-Nothing too old, this car needs to be financed

What can you all come up with? Pictures would be nice if you have them.

Some dude I know supposedly bought an 03' Evo for $10,000.00
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #31
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Buy a bike...that way you'll get everything you want out of it sports wise...just hope it doesn't rain or snow...hmmm...you live maine, so I guess that's out!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

Quote:
Big negative on that EVO price range, you are about $4-5,000 too low. Even higher mileage 03's
Not sure where you're looking, but you can find 03's, some 04's for WAY less than $19,000 - $20,000. The problem is finding ones that are stock. There's a ton of 03's and 04's for $18,500 - $20,000, but they have a lot of mods, and sellers want to make some money back off of them.

It might take some detective work, but I see 03's with 70k+, stock, or very minimal mods for around $16,000 occasionally.

You can find brand spanking new IX SE's for $27,000 - $28,000. RS's are going to be even cheaper.

Oh, and to the OP, another car to look at is the Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. The older ones, before the WRX was around, can be found pretty cheap and are nice cars. If you get the mod bug, the 2.5L STi motor will turn that car into a beast.

Last edited by Cadillac Johnson; 09-04-2007 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0