04-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Ppf

For the guys that have had paint protection film on their m8 or m850:

How long did it take the shop? 1 week, 2, 3?

Mines in the shop getting done and it's been 2 weeks going on 3. Seems like it's taking too long?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

2 to 3 days for PPF I'd say. One day to apply and next day or two to look for any issues and address. With it all computer cut, should be quick.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
2 to 3 days for PPF I'd say. One day to apply and next day or two to look for any issues and address. With it all computer cut, should be quick.
That's what I thought, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
A couple of questions, i.e., what are doing in the way of PPF? Targeted areas or the entire car? To the chagrin of my wife I'm absolutely anal when it comes to research and deciding what I want which was no different with the PPF for the M850i. While I was waiting for it to land I visited 5 local highly recommended detailers and ultimately chose the one I went with based on the fact the guy whom owns the shop is as anal as I am.

Given it is a lease but still wanted the highest value protection I had the entire front end, A pillars, roof, rockers, mirrors, door jams and edges done. The owner of the shop warned me that for the A pillars, roof, rockers and door jams and edges he could not guarantee those areas without a seam to be seen as frankly it is impossible to do so without a full PPF wrap which of course he totally guaranteed against any seams whatsoever. The key was the front end as he guaranteed no seams whatsoever but also called out it would take extra time as the M850i was the first 8-series his shop had dealt with.

That said all said and done it was 4 days to complete as they deconstructed whatever needed on the front-end, e.g., the headlights are individually wrapped to ensure zero seams. FYI, for the roof he made it so for zero seams to be found but the A-pillars, rockers, etc. if you look closely they can be seen. I never had a chance to visit while the work was being done but attached is a pic I took of a 2020 AMG G 63 that was in the shop getting a full PPF job and the front-end in its initial deconstructed phase. Bottom line is 3 weeks is flat out ridiculous even for a full PPF job as he stated that would be 5 to 6 days worth of effort.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
M8INLA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

Mines in the shop getting done and it's been 2 weeks going on 3. Seems like it's taking too long?
Mine took 4 days for the full car to get ppf and ceramic coating
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 01:17 AM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
A couple of questions, i.e., what are doing in the way of PPF? Targeted areas or the entire car? To the chagrin of my wife I'm absolutely anal when it comes to research and deciding what I want which was no different with the PPF for the M850i. While I was waiting for it to land I visited 5 local highly recommended detailers and ultimately chose the one I went with based on the fact the guy whom owns the shop is as anal as I am.

Given it is a lease but still wanted the highest value protection I had the entire front end, A pillars, roof, rockers, mirrors, door jams and edges done. The owner of the shop warned me that for the A pillars, roof, rockers and door jams and edges he could not guarantee those areas without a seam to be seen as frankly it is impossible to do so without a full PPF wrap which of course he totally guaranteed against any seams whatsoever. The key was the front end as he guaranteed no seams whatsoever but also called out it would take extra time as the M850i was the first 8-series his shop had dealt with.

That said all said and done it was 4 days to complete as they deconstructed whatever needed on the front-end, e.g., the headlights are individually wrapped to ensure zero seams. FYI, for the roof he made it so for zero seams to be found but the A-pillars, rockers, etc. if you look closely they can be seen. I never had a chance to visit while the work was being done but attached is a pic I took of a 2020 AMG G 63 that was in the shop getting a full PPF job and the front-end in its initial deconstructed phase. Bottom line is 3 weeks is flat out ridiculous even for a full PPF job as he stated that would be 5 to 6 days worth of effort.
Yeah, thought so. He said he needed "paint correction", etc.
but I'm getting the full car done. Obviously no roof because it's got the shadow moonlight top.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 01:18 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPoozy View Post
Quote:

Mine took 4 days for the full car to get ppf and ceramic coating
That's what I'm getting done. Thanks. Much appreciated.
Less than a week makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
but I'm getting the full car done. Obviously no roof because it's got the shadow moonlight top.

I forgot full paint correction on the car as well. I actually had argued against that s the car was brand spanking new. Well, two weeks old anyway with absolutely careful driving only on surface streets to work and back to preserve it from rock chips. The detailer explained it to me that it isn't just prepping against any swirl marks, etc. but also smoothing out the clearcoat. Once again all done within the 4-day window.

That said one factor may be your detailer is time slicing the work between several cars he/she may be working on. Even then though 3 weeks seems ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I forgot full paint correction on the car as well. I actually had argued against that s the car was brand spanking new. Well, two weeks old anyway with absolutely careful driving only on surface streets to work and back to preserve it from rock chips. The detailer explained it to me that it isn't just prepping against any swirl marks, etc. but also smoothing out the clearcoat. Once again all done within the 4-day window.

That said one factor may be your detailer is time slicing the work between several cars he/she may be working on. Even then though 3 weeks seems ridiculous.
Yep, he's got 10 other cars in the garage and my car is on the back burner. I think he's doing everything else except mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:

Those detailers know one more than the devil....but they are right! There are actually many people who right after the pick up from the dealer take their ride straight for the best possible treatment where one hears that there are actually imperfections to be corrected before any ceramic coating, ppf or whatever type of paint protection can be applied - yes even if the car is BRAND NEW! Most of all, they will tell you 100 times how many "defects" from the factory and how "delicate" today's water-based car paints are.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post

Those detailers know one more than the devil....but they are right! There are actually many people who right after the pick up from the dealer take their ride straight for the best possible treatment where one hears that there are actually imperfections to be corrected before any ceramic coating, ppf or whatever type of paint protection can be applied - yes even if the car is BRAND NEW! Most of all, they will tell you 100 times how many "defects" from the factory and how "delicate" today's water-based car paints are.
Agreed as I cannot recall all of the details but there were high spots with the clear coat on the roof and a couple other areas as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, he's got 10 other cars in the garage and my car is on the back burner. I think he's doing everything else except mine.
Back to my chosen detailer being as anal as I the reason for waiting 2 weeks after arrival he couldn't guarantee the 3-4 day window. Once again he was estimating given it was the first 8-series they touched but he delivered nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Back to my chosen detailer being as anal as I the reason for waiting 2 weeks after arrival he couldn't guarantee the 3-4 day window. Once again he was estimating given it was the first 8-series they touched but he delivered nonetheless.
Yeah; he's removed most of aero that I just paid to have installed. So double the work. I too went to several shops to find a good one. The one I liked was backed up for months; so this was my second choice. But he appears to be as careful and thoughtful as one can hope for.
Like everyone I think he's just short staffed. And signed up too many customers trying to make a volume profit instead of a boutique shop.

But as they say, time will tell. We will see.
It's my own fault, but I think I could have saved a week if I had him installed the aero instead of the dealership.
Appreciate 0