M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Autocar's first impressions of the RS5

04-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Autocar's first impressions of the RS5

What is it?
Not only is the RS5 is the latest Audi to wear the RS badge, but it looks every bit the modern-day version of the original Ur-Quattro. And thirty years on, the concept of a fast four-seat, two-door Audi has matured into something very serious indeed.

Powering the RS5 is a new naturally aspirated 4.2-litre producing 444bhp mated to a seven speed dual-clutch gearbox, the first time a RS product has used such a system. The RS5 also has a revised version of the Audi’s four-wheel drive system, with a new centre differential and a new torque vectoring system (which brakes individual wheels), plus the option of a sport rear differential.

Naturally our test car has this fitted, along with the optional ceramic front brake discs, sports exhaust and crucially, Audi’s Dynamic Ride Control. In Germany this is an option, but in the UK it will be standard.

What’s it like?
At this point I could tell you how welcoming and downright easy to drive the RS5 is in mundane everyday traffic. But let’s skip all that and get straight to the point where you’re sat in an RS5 looking at a deserted, arrow-straight piece of road. Because one thing Audi’s dual-clutch ’box will do that a conventional automatic won’t is full-on launch control.

Select dynamic mode on the Drive Select system, switch the ESP off, stand on the brakes, floor the throttle, release the brakes. Cue a perfect standing start, with hardly any transmission shunt or wheelspin, just forward motion. Rest to 62mph takes 4.6sec, and after not much longer the RS5 will hit its limiter at 155mph (or 174mph, if you tick yet another option box).

Okay, you could argue that it’s irrelevant, but this one exercise does illustrate the RS5’s approach to performance: accessible, repeatable, controlled and brutally effective. But also, in its own way, emotional. There are other 400bhp-plus coupés and saloons that are more involving, chiefly because they demand more of their driver to extract maximum performance. But the RS5 is in no way short on entertainment.

How could it be with a V8 engine, one that mixes low-end warble with an 8500rpm redline? Left to its own devices, the gearbox uses both extremes of the engine’s range, but move the lever over to manual mode and the choice is yours. Apply full throttle from low revs in a high gear and there is no kickdown, only V8 bass.

The advantage of Audi’s Drive Select system is that it gives the option to ‘mix and match’ the car’s settings rather sticking to the preset groupings. Deciding on the perfect combination could take a lifetime, but I settled on dynamic for engine and ’box (for the faster gearshifts and downchange blips), comfort for the steering (dynamic doesn’t offer any more feel, just weight) and dynamic for the sport differential (through faster corners it feels more like a rear-driver).

And the suspension?
Actually, left in automatic it does a pretty good job of balancing compliance with control, because – and here’s the surprise – the RS5 is a fast Audi that rides well. I’m going to throw in the old caveat that this is based on a German test, where the roads are super-smooth, but I did put the RS5 through a few potholes and it coped pretty well, even on optional 20in wheels. But perhaps this shouldn’t be such a surprise because the previous RS4, which used an earlier version of the hydraulically controlled Dynamic Ride Control, also rode well.

In the RS5 the comfort setting offers the best bump absorption, but the trade-off is a fraction too much body roll if you really throw it at a corner. Switching to dynamic solves this but robs the RS5 of the suppleness it will need in the UK. However, automatic shuffles between the settings, subtly enough that you’ll hardly notice, for the best of both worlds.

Is the RS5 a car you would drive with no destination in mind?

Like almost every other Audi, it feels like a piece of heavy machinery, one with deep reserves of engineering capability, but it is also one of the rare Audis that also has a fluidity and delicacy to it. I’d stop short of saying it would be a car I would choose to take on a track day, but for a non-stop return trip from London to the top of Scotland, there are few cars I would be happier to be in.

Partly that’s because of the beautifully finished cabin, and partly it’s because the RS5’s gearbox is so well rounded. But the real reason why the RS5 is so compelling is that when the roads offer entertainment, the RS5 entertains in spades.

Should I buy one?
If you want a super-coupe with outstanding all-round abilities then yes absolutely. For the RS5 is a car with an exceptional breadth of abilities and the type of car that gets better and better with every journey.

Jamie Corstorphine
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Interesting read, the RS5 seems like the jack of all trades but specializes in none. I'm sure it is a fun car, but from what I read, not worth the pricetag.
      04-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
Interesting read, the RS5 seems like the jack of all trades but specializes in none. I'm sure it is a fun car, but from what I read, not worth the pricetag.
Well that is the question, what is the price?

Everything you have read is pure speculation and opinion but based on no hard evidence, for edmunds' $104K figure to be correct then I doubt Audi would sell one, never mind the quota they intend to export so I doubt they are that stupid.

In fact if you look at the percentage difference between the S5 and RS5 in the UK and then using the US S5, adding the same percentage difference you end up with an RS5 in the US at $73K. I hardly think Audi will premium the RS5 by another $30K do you.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Granted, even at 73k. That is some heavy coin for a car that really isnt particularly good at any one thing. That isn't a bad thing for some, as a matter of fact I bet that would be a fantastic GT or cruiser for road trips. But I think it is a different kind of animal than a track inspired car, which is what I am more attracted to. It is more of an 'all around' good car in my opinion, still a little pricey even at 73k. I would consider buying one if base started at 65k.

The engine + drivetrain does sound fantastic though.
      04-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Granted, even at 73k. That is some heavy coin for a car that really isnt particularly good at any one thing. That isn't a bad thing for some, as a matter of fact I bet that would be a fantastic GT or cruiser for road trips. But I think it is a different kind of animal than a track inspired car, which is what I am more attracted to. It is more of an 'all around' good car in my opinion, still a little pricey even at 73k. I would consider buying one if base started at 65k.

Ah but thats the question, isn't it? Is it a better all around vehicle than the M3?

This impression means absolutely nothing. The only thing useful are the pictures of the car inside and out. I for one believe that this RS5 will beat the M3 in most tests, just because it's being released almost 3 years after the E9x M3.

Also you do pay for a little bit of exclusivity and there won't be nearly the amount of RS5's on the road compared to M3's. It's a gorgeous car and depending on the pricing for Military car sales, i may be looking at my next ride. That Audi interior....
      04-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

It breaks my heart that this car comes only with the DSG tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I'm sure it will be great, but they should've given it more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Granted, even at 73k. That is some heavy coin for a car that really isnt particularly good at any one thing.
You mean that's heavy coin for a car that is particularly good at many things. Performance-wise, it should meet or beat most of the M3's stats. In terms of looks it has the M3 one-upped both in and out. I'm sure the engine note is better. The gearbox is at least as good if not better. The drive is accessible, but fun. The ride can soak up bumps pretty well. And so on...

I don't see how it "really isn't particularly good at any one thing".
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that it's not particularly good in any area, involvement and challenging the driver I have to conceed that the M3 will have it licked, but I was of the opinion that it might be better than the M3 at almost all things bar entertainment, and even then it's personal taste whether or not the M3 will be actually any better.

The question is, whether all these other areas where it might be superior but lose out in involvement is worth it to you. If the answer is no then there is few better cars than an M3 but for those seeking a worthy alternative then you could do a lot worse than an RS5.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

So at this point, it's a clearly all rounder. A really good one at that. What I want to know now is which aspects is is better than the M3 and if by comparison, as well as the C63, ISF and CTSV
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
So at this point, it's a clearly all rounder. A really good one at that. What I want to know now is which aspects is is better than the M3 and if by comparison, as well as the C63, ISF and CTSV
I cant wait to see the price...but being honest better bang for the buck elsewhere(and Im an Audi guy)....The rs4 was priced way too high...while the M3 was 30K cheaper(Im not an option guy). I have a certain feeling that they will not overprice it this time...the S4(well the a4 3.0T cough*) is 17K cheaper base than the outgoing B7 S4 which was starting at 70K. Let's see if they can sell this car for 80-85K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

this is probably the only audi i like.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
this is probably the only audi i like.
lol gotta start the audi love at somepoint :P I'm surprised you don't like the R8 coupe or cab

true, with the on going trend of audi reducing their ridiculous prices, god praying they'll do the same to the RS5 haha
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
lol gotta start the audi love at somepoint :P I'm surprised you don't like the R8 coupe or cab
Sometimes I think the users on this board like Audi's more than they like BMW's. lol

+1
      04-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #15
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Sometimes I think the users on this board like Audi's more than they like BMW's.
Sometimes I think the users on this board don't like anything other than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW
Sometimes I think the users on this board like Audi's more than they like BMW's. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Sometimes I think the users on this board don't like anything other than BMW.
Would it not be more true to say that we all like German cars most of all and just leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #17
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

+1
Audi has hired over 200 employees world wide who's primary responsibility is to spend their entire shift on Twitter, facebook and forums. it is a new initiative they started 6 months ago called "ASNSP": Audi Social Networking Strategic Plan....primary objective...slam the competition...praise the mother ship.
they had to spend 18 weeks in training to learn all technical aspects of their full line and its competition. When they pass a two hour exam....they work from home 10hrs a day....4 days a week.....NICE GIG!!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

I can gaurantee you this car will not handle as well as the M3, that is why I said it is not geared toward the streep/track crowd. I think it is more of a cruiser type GT because of its:

1. weight
2. suspension/ride

Acceleration in a straight line is probably very good which is what I had mentioned earlier, but there is more to a car than straight line acceleration, we of all people should know on a BMW forum.

Hence I stand by my word, that car will be good at a lot of things, but not shine in any one particular category which can be a good thing for some or a bad thing, depending on what type of driver you are.

That is all.
      04-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
You mean that's heavy coin for a car that is particularly good at many things. Performance-wise, it should meet or beat most of the M3's stats. In terms of looks it has the M3 one-upped both in and out. I'm sure the engine note is better. The gearbox is at least as good if not better. The drive is accessible, but fun. The ride can soak up bumps pretty well. And so on...

I don't see how it "really isn't particularly good at any one thing".
It is heavy, straight line acceleration will be good but it will probably be a mid high 12 second car at best.

Handling will suffer due to weight, but will be marginally improved because of AWD.

Gas mileage will suck ass in this car. AWD V8.

Im not trying to bash the car, this is just my opinion. I like this car a lot, I think I would own one no doubt, maybe in a couple years. It has a great exterior design and interior, but for THOSE PEOPLE that are attracted to track inspired cars, this car will not satisfy that niche, that is my point.

It seems more like an aston martin type car, big, heavy, powerful, cruiser that is pretty good at everything. If you guys dont see it, then go test drive one and tell me it out handles or out accelerates an M3 or M5.

If you prove me wrong, no harm done, this is my speculation and everyone is entitled to their own.
      04-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

DBFIU, I see where ur coming from and I honestly think you might be right. If they could have cut say an additional 200-300lbs off the car, I'm certain it would be more "track worthy". Still tho, a great gt cruiser with awesome acceleration and handling is right for me
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Tom Ford's Top Gear Blog on RS5 @ the Ascari Circuit

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...ord-2010-04-13
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can gaurantee you this car will not handle as well as the M3, that is why I said it is not geared toward the streep/track crowd. I think it is more of a cruiser type GT because of its:

1. weight
2. suspension/ride
I honestly don't know how you can come out with statement that is won't handle as well as an M3 without actually comparing the you. In fact the wording 'out handle' would suggest that it won;t be able to take corners as quickly as an M3 and this is something I seriously think you will find that it will do.

I would have to agree that on the track this car like the GTR will not sustain continuous lap at lap without either tyres or brakes over heating, unless the swap to ceramics and proper r-compound rubber is used.

Maybe, and I am only thinking out loud here, but maybe it would be best to wait until proper track comparisons are conducted before writing this car off.

Quote:
Acceleration in a straight line is probably very good which is what I had mentioned earlier, but there is more to a car than straight line acceleration, we of all people should know on a BMW forum.
Here is one area that I am a little disappointed in Audi, giving the car such long gearing to benefit economy will ultimately lead to affecting it's top end acceleration beyond normal speeds, i.e. over 130mph. I know this will probably only become an issue to our German member who have full use of the autobahns but it's still an error in judgement in my opinion.

Quote:
Hence I stand by my word, that car will be good at a lot of things, but not shine in any one particular category which can be a good thing for some or a bad thing, depending on what type of driver you are.

That is all.
The M3 shines really well as an allrounder, it marries practicality with top class performance. It's a great car but if you look around you will see others which offer either better balance, better acceleration, better handling, etc, etc but on each occasion these car are more one dimensional and that is why the M3 is so popular. Now unless I am greatly mistaken this all sounds like a car that doesn't excel at one thing but is good at almost all things, surely that is what the RS5 will also be doing. In fact the RS5 takes this to another level offering a better all weather handling package.

P.S.
Just to answer the critics that the RS5 isn't a little bit better than the M3, here is a small paragraph for Tom Ford (Topgear) after driving the RS5 on the track.

Quote:
2:05pm

Final drive: it's been a good couple of days. Just finished at Ascari, and it turns out that the quattro boss was right: the RS5 is way more fun on a circuit than it has any right to be. In fact, it does feel lighter, more tempted into oversteer and generally a lot less understeery than I thought it might.

Basically, with the new 'crown gear' differential, it's probably the most amusing quattro Audi ever. There was a slight suspicion that the car might be a tad wayward, because Audi had disengaged the ESP 'off' button on the track cars; the car did move into oversteer, but got tidied up by the ESP before it went too far. But then we found the secret button in the glovebox and went out in the car again.

The surprise is that it was pretty much the same - no great big surprises, just a lovely release of oversteer. This thing is brill, just a different kind of speed to an M3 and C63. We like.

Last edited by footie; 04-14-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0