M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 1967 Shelby GT 500 + Side Scoops?

06-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT

1967 Shelby GT 500 + Side Scoops?

Took a ride in a '67 Shelby GT 500. As my blackberry is shit, i wasn't able to take any pictures. Sorry Car was black with grey stripes

First off, the car is a complete beast. My 335 is fast, but you can control it. When the guy that was driving just barely stepped on the gas the car would just lunge forward and you could see the steering wheel just try to get free. Basically, it was amazing.

Anyways, my one question is that i noticed the side air scoops above the rear windows were fake. What first caught my attention it when looking closely it was obvious that they were molded on. Were they fake to begin with?

Sorry again for not having pictures
      06-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdink View Post
Took a ride in a '67 Shelby GT 500. As my blackberry is shit, i wasn't able to take any pictures. Sorry Car was black with grey stripes

First off, the car is a complete beast. My 335 is fast, but you can control it. When the guy that was driving just barely stepped on the gas the car would just lunge forward and you could see the steering wheel just try to get free. Basically, it was amazing.

Anyways, my one question is that i noticed the side air scoops above the rear windows were fake. What first caught my attention it when looking closely it was obvious that they were molded on. Were they fake to begin with?

Sorry again for not having pictures
yes they were "fake" the shelby parts were mostly bolt on pieces, minus the Thunderbird rear tailights which were sheet metal cut-ins.

also when comparing a Shlby to a 335.........muscle cars were meant to go fast and straight.............not turn!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
yes they were "fake" the shelby parts were mostly bolt on pieces, minus the Thunderbird rear tailights which were sheet metal cut-ins.

also when comparing a Shlby to a 335.........muscle cars were meant to go fast and straight.............not turn!
ahh thanks for the reply!

as to the comparison... are you sure? the shebly seemed like it wanted to turn on its own and NOT go straight
      06-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
As an owner of a shelby... all the scoops were bolted/molded on - they are fiberglass. During part of the year the lower scoops were used as are intake the cool the brakes... but the latter part of the year they stopped it.

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0