M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What's the first part of a car you look at?

View Poll Results: The first thing I see is:
The headlights/taillights. They're bright focal points packed with detail. 12 35.29%
The roofline and overal profile. It defines the car by being low slung or upright; swoopy or boxy. 10 29.41%
The wheels. They can make or break a design and determine its attitude. 6 17.65%
The grille. Certain marques have built an unmistakable identity simply through clever design. 0 0%
The bumpers. Their design tells everything about a car's intentions. 1 2.94%
I just see the whole car. Never really pay much attention to anything in specific. 9 26.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

10-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

What's the first part of a car you look at?

I almost always impulsively focus on the brightwork first (headlights/taillights). I'd have to try hard to focus on something else first. It's usually the headlights then whatever connecting styling elements stem from it, like the lines running down the inner section of an E92 for example.

I've asked my friends and they don't really have a focal point. One of them goes for the grille.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Depends on the car, every car has a different focal point that attracts the eye. For MB's, it's the tri-star, BMWs, the kidney grille or angel eye headlights. etc
      10-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Hey, this is a good idea for a thread. I usually like looking at the 'butt' of the car.
Then my eyes slowly gaze above to the roofline and overall design.

PS.... opps, I voted for the wrong option. I will change it.
      10-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

At night, for sure the headlights and taillights are the first thing you look at. During the day, the front grill and the rear are the first things that catch my attention.

For supercars, the very low to the ground, sleek design is very apparent, but for most other cars, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Depends on the car, every car has a different focal point that attracts the eye. For MB's, it's the tri-star, BMWs, the kidney grille or angel eye headlights. etc
For MBs I definitely notice their grille and not even so much the tri-star, but the slats that span horizontally across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Hey, this is a good idea for a thread. I usually like looking at the 'butt' of the car.
Then my eyes slowly gaze above to the roofline and overall design.

PS.... opps, I voted for the wrong option. I will change it.
This would explain your avatar. When looking from the rear, especially with modern cars, I tend to notice the sloping rear rooflines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
At night, for sure the headlights and taillights are the first thing you look at. During the day, the front grill and the rear are the first things that catch my attention.

For supercars, the very low to the ground, sleek design is very apparent, but for most other cars, not so much.
I think even when modern headlights aren't on, they're so packed with detail that I can't avoid them. I'm fascinated by the detailing on most cars now.

I mean just check out the advances in the past few years. Cars are ditching boring and non-descript chrome fillings for blacked out, aluminum detailed housings. I love technology.

GTi

5 Series

There are plenty of better examples. But headlights design over the past five years has skyrocketed. I think BMW and Audi are huge contributors.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

definitely headlights/taillights as the first part, and then overall profile. at this point, if a car catches my attention, Ill look into the details

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

I think it depends on the car to be honest and what angle you see it at. However, in general I like to get an idea of the proportions of the car and its roofline because these are things you cant change by modifications and determine the stance of the car. Everything else you can change/fix to your taste

Next to this it is definitely headlights because as you say they grab your attention. I just fitted HID lights to my friends car yesterday. I think nice headlights/taillights will compliment a design and grab attention and poor designs will let the car down. Important thing.
      10-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
For MBs I definitely notice their grille and not even so much the tri-star, but the slats that span horizontally across.

This would explain your avatar. When looking from the rear, especially with modern cars, I tend to notice the sloping rear rooflines.

There are plenty of better examples. But headlights design over the past five years has skyrocketed. I think BMW and Audi are huge contributors.

Dude, I didn't know the 5 series had a headlight like that. Any idea what the small hole on the inside edge of the headlight plastic frame is for|? Hmmm.... interesting.

And I have a offtopic question but is there a way to change my vote? I searched but can't find anything.
      10-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
headlights/taillights, then dat ass
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
dbjb