M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

07-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #177
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Some additional info about the July update, which is evidently a major one:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/t...oftware-update

M
I'll wait a year for bugs.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #178
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Me, too. Given that I just finally debugged the last update, the very thought of this is terrifying. No way anyone, including me, is touching that software for a very long time, if ever.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #179
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Me, too. Given that I just finally debugged the last update, the very thought of this is terrifying. No way anyone, including me, is touching that software for a very long time, if ever.
hahaa, agreed! only r33_RGSport can touch mine!
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #180
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I confirmed from a buddy of who is a mechanic at BMW, that version 07.2020 is now available at dealership.
he didn't say what version of 07.2020.xx or which cars, but I presume it's available for the m8 class.
Also didn't say what's in it, or what bugs or "features" were available.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #181
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

I wonder if the 07.2020 includes Android Auto?
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #182
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

I just picked my M850 up from the dealer for non-related issues. I noticed the auto start/stop was resetting back to "on" when I had coded it to remember the last setting (off).

I investigated and discovered I got updated to 03/2020.58 (I had 11/2019.70).

Reading this thread, it seems that build is solid, fingers crossed that the auto start/stop coding is the only thing I lost.

I also don't understand if they went to the trouble of updating the car, why not update it to the 05/2020 or even 07/2020 builds if they are available.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #183
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I just picked my M850 up from the dealer for non-related issues. I noticed the auto start/stop was resetting back to "on" when I had coded it to remember the last setting (off).

Reading this thread, it seems that build is solid, fingers crossed that the auto start/stop coding is the only thing I lost.

I also don't understand if they went to the trouble of updating the car, why not update it to the 05/2020 or even 07/2020 builds if they are available.
What also is odd is that the dealer upgraded the iDrive system for a service request that had nothing to do with iDrive. Some have asked for the upgrade but their dealers have declined and it was explained by another here on the forums with 10X the BMW experience I have that for it to be covered under warranty hours there needs to be an issue, etc. reported.

It's also been reported that on full base upgrades, e.g., 11/2019 to 03/2020 that custom coding is lost in the process. Yet another reason why most owners just don't want the dealer to willy nilly upgrade the iDrive release without an issue and request to do so.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #184
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post

What also is odd is that the dealer upgraded the iDrive system for a service request that had nothing to do with iDrive. Some have asked for the upgrade but their dealers have declined and it was explained by another here on the forums with 10X the BMW experience I have that for it to be covered under warranty hours there needs to be an issue, etc. reported.

It's also been reported that on full base upgrades, e.g., 11/2019 to 03/2020 that custom coding is lost in the process. Yet another reason why most owners just don't want the dealer to willy nilly upgrade the iDrive release without an issue and request to do so.
yeah, agreed. 100% always something
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:35 AM   #185
chrism850i
Rep

Has anyone noticed their exhaust has gotten quieter since programming from 11/2019 to 03/2020? Mine has dropped significantly and the exhaust valves barely open anymore. Easiest way to tell is with remote start. All valves used to be open and now not.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #186
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism850i View Post
Has anyone noticed their exhaust has gotten quieter since programming from 11/2019 to 03/2020? Mine has dropped significantly and the exhaust valves barely open anymore. Easiest way to tell is with remote start. All valves used to be open and now not.
I've heard that BMW closed some valves to quietly reduce noise, but my mechanic wasn't sure until you confirmed it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #187
chrism850i
Rep

Quote:
I've heard that BMW closed some valves to quietly reduce noise, but my mechanic wasn't sure until you confirmed it.
Unfortunately it’s true. Working with my dealer to try and get it back. Had another one in the dealership that they compared to. Hoping it’ll go back as it made the car with the exhaust!
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #188
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately it’s true. Working with my dealer to try and get it back. Had another one in the dealership that they compared to. Hoping it’ll go back as it made the car with the exhaust!
@bloozemanAZ is going to be so mad that he upgrades and can't hear his engine!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #189
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Perhaps two trains of thought on this outcome. One being there is some new 2020 regulations requiring it and BMW is addressing with the 03/2020 release. The other being BMW has yet another bug in the 03/2020 release and I'm personally hoping it is the latter.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 07-08-2020 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #190
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@bloozemanAZ is going to be so mad that he upgrades and can't hear his engine!!!
BMW is going to have to pry 11/2019.70 from my cold dead hands if the 2020 releases are reducing the glorious exhaust notes of my 2020 M850i. If I prioritized the reasons for purchase into a few items they would be #1 performance, #2 the glorious sound of the engine/exhaust and #3 Luxury (including the B&W audio and overall iDrive Infotainment system). Take away #2 and I'll be looking elsewhere instead of buying out the lease (best overall APR I could get with MSDs vs BMW FS' traditional financing at the time) as planned.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 11:07 PM   #191
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is is just the cold start aspect or overall exhaust performance? Granted I love to put the car in Sport Plus just for the extra oomph on a cold start but if the exhaust is impacted during actual driving that is a complete failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:50 PM   #192
chrism850i
Rep

Quote:
Is is just the cold start aspect or overall exhaust performance? Granted I love to put the car in Sport Plus just for the extra oomph on a cold start but if the exhaust is impacted during actual driving that is a complete failure.
Mostly cold start. It’s most obvious when you do a remote start. Old software had all valves open. New has them closed. Once warmed up valves are almost always closed in comfort mode while old software had them open at idle at least (can’t prove once I’m driving.) Driving in comfort or sport it doesn’t seem as throaty. My wife isn’t a big car person but she immediately noticed it quieter in all modes. I know in UK they’re cutting that back but in US I wouldn’t see why they’d cut it back. My priority list is identical to yours as well.....
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #193
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mostly cold start. It’s most obvious when you do a remote start. Old software had all valves open. New has them closed. Once warmed up valves are almost always closed in comfort mode while old software had them open at idle at least (can’t prove once I’m driving.) Driving in comfort or sport it doesn’t seem as throaty. My wife isn’t a big car person but she immediately noticed it quieter in all modes. I know in UK they’re cutting that back but in US I wouldn’t see why they’d cut it back. My priority list is identical to yours as well.....
Thanks for the update and that seals the deal that there is no way I'm going to allow my dealer to upgrade beyond my 11/2019.70 release when I eventually take it in for the first oil change in December. With COVID-19 in play there is no way I'm going to rack up the remaining 6800 miles to trigger it before December. Unless there are some sort of US regulations now requiring it thankfully with my relationship with the dealer (CA and SA) they will abide my request to stick on the current release.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #194
chrism850i
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update and that seals the deal that there is no way I'm going to allow my dealer to upgrade beyond my 11/2019.70 release when I eventually take it in for the first oil change in December. With COVID-19 in play there is no way I'm going to rack up the remaining 6800 miles to trigger it before December. Unless there are some sort of US regulations now requiring it thankfully with my relationship with the dealer (CA and SA) they will abide my request to stick on the current release.
Yep. Don’t budge trust me. I may be getting a new head unit to see if that fixes it, assuming that head unit doesn’t have the new update. After what I just read on Europe regulating sound they may do it for all as it doesn’t make financial sense to have multiple exhaust setups for different countries. Shameful....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:12 AM   #195
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep. Don’t budge trust me. I may be getting a new head unit to see if that fixes it, assuming that head unit doesn’t have the new update. After what I just read on Europe regulating sound they may do it for all as it doesn’t make financial sense to have multiple exhaust setups for different countries. Shameful....
Absolutely agree. However, unlike the case in which the auto manufacturing world learned that disparent builds for the US to satisfy CA's more stringent emissions controls vs other states ultimately resulted in a baseline for the lowest common denominator being CA. That said applying Europe rules to the US for exhaust volume makes zero sense. It's a software control point vs a physical aspect, e.g., catalytic converters, etc. in the case of CA emissions. The same can be said for other 8-series features available in Europe by default, e.g., anti-dazzle vs software disabled in the US.

If BMW can't figure out how to play in both markets hopefully the after market coders can figure out how to override the stupidity. If this all gets sorted out before my next forecasted maintenance in December it will be a frictionless experience. If it hasn't Ill stress that any iDrive update is completely off the table and if my dealer will not abide to the request I will escalate to BMW NA and beyond before any work is done.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 07-09-2020 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #196
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think they can force it, unless there is another safety recall like my 2019 back up camera. a standard oil change, "shouldn't" require any update. But then again this is BMW services, which haven't been as amazing as BMW sales or genius in my opinion.
Although I did get my first oil change at my local BMW Sterling and it was amazing. smooth service and everything went well, I was so shocked I about feel out of my chair.
They didn't update my software, blow out my mods or coding, or change any of my preset settings. They did my oils and annual state inspection, with no problem.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #197
chrism850i
Rep

Quote:
I don't think they can force it, unless there is another safety recall like my 2019 back up camera. a standard oil change, "shouldn't" require any update. But then again this is BMW services, which haven't been as amazing as BMW sales or genius in my opinion.
Although I did get my first oil change at my local BMW Sterling and it was amazing. smooth service and everything went well, I was so shocked I about feel out of my chair.
They didn't update my software, blow out my mods or coding, or change any of my preset settings. They did my oils and annual state inspection, with no problem.
As long as you don’t make any complaints about Bluetooth or radio related issues then you should be fine unless it’s mandated by a recall that might be open and requires something to be updated in that system. So if your phone, Bluetooth or any of the connectivity issues don’t exist then you should be just fine but be sure to mention just in case. It really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense why the software in the head unit would do anything to the engine operation or exhaust flaps. That’s the issue that my BMW service department had and BMW couldn’t quite figure out themselves so they’ll start by replacing the head unit and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #198
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

I had mine upgraded for 07/19 to 03/20 recently and they have messed it up. When reversing/parking there is no audible signal from the side, only front and rear ( and these are a lot weaker ).

I have to take the car back to be sorted, maybe I should suggest a downgrade to 11/19.
Appreciate 1