M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

06-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #133
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcara View Post
1. The procedure itself takes like 20 seconds and you can carry on driving etc. No problem - however I think that then, in the background, it downloads a load of stuff slowly like the apps - so all in all a few hours. Did mine after I parked up at the end of the day and by morning it had everything.

2. No. There’s a SIM card in the car and I guess they use that. Beware if you’re in a garage it may not work too well due to signal strength.

3. No clue but I’d guess they all have this feature even though it doesn’t seem to work!
Thanks!

Presumably if the process takes a few hours, and you did yours overnight, you could still lock the car and walk away?

Did you have to leave the car on overnight, with your phone inside?

M
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #134
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
1. The procedure itself takes like 20 seconds and you can carry on driving etc. No problem - however I think that then, in the background, it downloads a load of stuff slowly like the apps - so all in all a few hours. Did mine after I parked up at the end of the day and by morning it had everything.

2. No. There’s a SIM card in the car and I guess they use that. Beware if you’re in a garage it may not work too well due to signal strength.

3. No clue but I’d guess they all have this feature even though it doesn’t seem to work!
To my own vast surprise, I - the OP of this entire thread - finally bring to the board happy news (and, at the end, a few more questions).

The news: The process described by Delcara WORKS!

Four months after virtually all of my apps disappeared due to the flawed 03/2020.30 update installed by the dealer, four months after all sorts of failures trying to resolve this through BMW, the "Reset Vehicle Data" option embedded in iDrive7 solved everything.

All of the apps I once had were restored and new apps - including a fully functional Drive Recorder app - immediately appeared. In addition, a host of new options now appear in iDrive7. It appears that a total update of iDrive7 arrived through this process.

To make the fix, here's the menu mapping: Car>Settings>General Settings>(scroll to the bottom)>Reset Vehicle Data.

You need to turn off the ignition before it will work. As Delcara said, it takes 20 seconds, at most. It's a terrifying 20 seconds, as everything goes black and you receive no confirmation that anything good actually happened, but when I restarted the car and looked for the apps -- SHAZAM, they all already had been downloaded. So were the new options in iDrive7, including the automatic ventilated seat settings, Driving Experience, etc., that had not been there previously.

A few notes:

- You will have to restore your ConnectedDrive Profile, so make sure you know your login and password. Once you restore your Profile, many of your previous settings will reappear.

- One exception: The driver's seat settings - but if you haven't opened the door, your seat will not have moved, so just restore its location to button 1 or 2.

- Another exception: Your stored music will disappear, so be prepared to restore that, as well.

- Another: Your heads-up display and some related settings may need re-adjustment.

- And another: The wi-fi password will change, so get back in there and restore it. Also, though it eventually shows up as recognized, you may have to re-pair your cell phone.

More good news: The coding done by r33_RGSport is still there! At least most of it is - I'll keep an eye on this, but I believe that everything important to me is still coded.

So, here are the questions for the software folks among us:

- Dealership software, even generations newer than the software in my car, introduces serious bugs. The car's Update Apps function does not solve the problem. The car’s Update Software function reports that no updates are available (though we know that they are). Yet, a 20-second blast from Reset Vehicle Data solves all of the issues - and more. How is this possible? What is that function accessing that the others do not - and what, exactly, is it resetting and significantly updating in less than 20 seconds?

- Dealership software updates blow out all of our settings. We assumed that none were being saved anywhere. But...yes they are. At least some of our settings are going into the Cloud and, as I mentioned above, mine returned to my car after I restored my Profile. So, how is it that dealerships cannot restore our settings after messing with our software?

- If the solution is this easy, why the hell hasn't it been offered by BMW ConnectedDrive or the alleged Geniuses? Dozens, scores, hundreds, maybe thousands of customers have been tearing their hair out over this - and most still are.

Finally, my thanks to delcara and others who have discovered and shared this solution. My car is whole again. (And I have Drive Recorder.)
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 06-25-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #135
delcara
Rep
Drives: 535d>M3>640i>M5>M4 > m850i

Fantastic news.

I’ve emailed BMW head office and explained, politely, how unhelpful, thoughtless and uninformed their genius staff are, and how I’ve wasted hours of my life and a tank of petrol on fixing this issue, and they’ve told me that they’ll pass on my comments. ****s.

I don’t believe that the remote software update will ever work. I’m an IT consultant and I understand software and I do understand why these things have happened - but the total lack of training or understanding by BMW staff is astonishing. The cars we drive are now 50% software and 50% mechanical and the staff understand like 20% of both areas. It’s just sad, really. Give the guys on the phone and in the showrooms the latest, shiniest cars as part of the job and make them LEARN them. There are 17 year olds that would kill for that opportunity.

Anyway. Rant over. Enjoy your new updates!
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #136
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I'm glad someone found a fix! Can't believe it was one of "us" instead of BMW staff.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #137
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Fantastic news.

I’ve emailed BMW head office and explained, politely, how unhelpful, thoughtless and uninformed their genius staff are, and how I’ve wasted hours of my life and a tank of petrol on fixing this issue, and they’ve told me that they’ll pass on my comments. ****s.

I don’t believe that the remote software update will ever work. I’m an IT consultant and I understand software and I do understand why these things have happened - but the total lack of training or understanding by BMW staff is astonishing. The cars we drive are now 50% software and 50% mechanical and the staff understand like 20% of both areas. It’s just sad, really. Give the guys on the phone and in the showrooms the latest, shiniest cars as part of the job and make them LEARN them. There are 17 year olds that would kill for that opportunity.

Anyway. Rant over. Enjoy your new updates!
Living in the world of IT in my professional life I've already commented more than a dozen times that BMW cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software competency. The BMW Genius just like BMW Assist are all reading from a script and to your point the lack of training plus the script nullifies them to completely useless.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #138
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I followed the instructions from redhot47fla which worked - so many thanks for that!

I've now got the preconditioning settings for the seats (in the Apps page), but no Drive Recorder and I can't work out where to check my software version.

I've looked at the long list entitled 'Software Information', but couldn't see it there (if it's even meant to be visible somewhere).

I guess I'll have to wait for 03.2020 or 05.2020 to come to my car from the Connected Drive team...won't hold my breath!

M
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #139
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

If you try the in-car remote software update option (not the Vehicle Reset Data option), it should tell you what software version you have (but can’t update).

To get the drive recorder, you have to authorize that in your ConnectedDrive online page, under “Store.” After you do that, it should flow down to your in-car app collection.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #140
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
If you try the in-car remote software update option (not the Vehicle Reset Data option), it should tell you what software version you have (but can’t update).

To get the drive recorder, you have to authorize that in your ConnectedDrive online page, under “Store.” After you do that, it should flow down to your in-car app collection.
Many thanks - I'll try the remote upgrade to get the software version.

In terms of the Drive Recorder, I don't actually see the option on my Connected Drive page unfortunately..

M
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #141
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post

In terms of the Drive Recorder, I don't actually see the option on my Connected Drive page unfortunately..

M
Hmmm. Maybe it's not authorized/available in England? Or perhaps you don't have the full complement of onboard cameras?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:46 AM   #142
delcara
Rep

It is available in England, I've got it. Check out the Store - you may need to buy it. It's like £15 a month or £300 forever. I think you'll need to be on 03/2020 for it to appear in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:58 AM   #143
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is available in England, I've got it. Check out the Store - you may need to buy it. It's like £15 a month or £300 forever. I think you'll need to be on 03/2020 for it to appear in the car.
Thanks!

I'm still on 11/2018 annoyingly, so will have to wait for BMW to come back to me by email.

M
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:31 AM   #144
delcara
Rep

Best of luck with that pal, they're so useless. Having researched this, I've seen no evidence at all that remote, over the air updates work at all on these cars. My advice would be to call your local dealer, and tell them:

"I need my iDrive Operating System updating from the 2018 software to the latest 2020 software."

Don't accept any answer other than "we'll get it booked in and do it" - you can't do this yourself, you don't need to be there for them to do it, and you need to it use the features you were promised when you got the car. Like "I've paid for Drive Recorder, but I can't use it until the software is updated."

They'll need the car for a few hours to do the necessary. Then you'll need to reset the car and you'll get all the apps.

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm still on 11/2018 annoyingly, so will have to wait for BMW to come back to me by email.

M
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 04:51 AM   #145
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Best of luck with that pal, they're so useless. Having researched this, I've seen no evidence at all that remote, over the air updates work at all on these cars. My advice would be to call your local dealer, and tell them:

"I need my iDrive Operating System updating from the 2018 software to the latest 2020 software."

Don't accept any answer other than "we'll get it booked in and do it" - you can't do this yourself, you don't need to be there for them to do it, and you need to it use the features you were promised when you got the car. Like "I've paid for Drive Recorder, but I can't use it until the software is updated."

They'll need the car for a few hours to do the necessary. Then you'll need to reset the car and you'll get all the apps.
I did that last week, and the dealer blamed Connected Drive.

I wonder if a private coder could do it?

M
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #146
delcara
Rep

I went through exactly the same process. Neither the dealers or the people at ConnectedDrive have the first clue what to do.

Talk to the dealer and insist. There's nothing the people at ConnectedDrive can do (they'll just tell you to reset and wait 24 hours because that's all their script tells them to do. I demanded it be escalated, they quoted 5 to 7 working WEEKS to get a reply from the people that know what they're talking about) - you need the car software updating and that can only be done through a cable connection to your car and it being hooked up to a battery pack and so on while it's happening.

It can be done by a private coder, but it's something you shouldn't have to pay for.

I spoke to a number of people at ConnectedDrive who had no clue what I was talking about and when I politely told them they were idiots, I got escalateed to a chap called Faraaz who was helpful. See if you can find him!

---

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your query. You’re referring to the iDrive version of your vehicle, you have the 2018 version and you want the 2020 version.

This can only be done at a BMW Centre, although the vast majority are currently closed but will be in the process of re-opening.

I know you’ve been in contact with two so far, but do you have a preference for any others. I can arrange contact for yourself through online communications.

Regards,

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Faraaz Moghul
BMW Genius Team Senior
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 561 0666
Mail to: bmwgeniussupport@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

---

Quote:
I did that last week, and the dealer blamed Connected Drive.

I wonder if a private coder could do it?

M
Appreciate 1
msm2000uk178.00
      06-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #147
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went through exactly the same process. Neither the dealers or the people at ConnectedDrive have the first clue what to do.

Talk to the dealer and insist. There's nothing the people at ConnectedDrive can do (they'll just tell you to reset and wait 24 hours because that's all their script tells them to do. I demanded it be escalated, they quoted 5 to 7 working WEEKS to get a reply from the people that know what they're talking about) - you need the car software updating and that can only be done through a cable connection to your car and it being hooked up to a battery pack and so on while it's happening.

It can be done by a private coder, but it's something you shouldn't have to pay for.

I spoke to a number of people at ConnectedDrive who had no clue what I was talking about and when I politely told them they were idiots, I got escalateed to a chap called Faraaz who was helpful. See if you can find him!

---

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your query. You’re referring to the iDrive version of your vehicle, you have the 2018 version and you want the 2020 version.

This can only be done at a BMW Centre, although the vast majority are currently closed but will be in the process of re-opening.

I know you’ve been in contact with two so far, but do you have a preference for any others. I can arrange contact for yourself through online communications.

Regards,

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Faraaz Moghul
BMW Genius Team Senior
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 561 0666
Mail to: bmwgeniussupport@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

---
Thanks for your help and that email...which I shall be amending slightly and sending on to my dealer to ask them to do the work

You're definitely a couple of steps ahead of me, so I'll book my car in!

M
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #148
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840d Convertible

Hi all,

Just registered so I can post to this thread and join the forum as lots of useful info here!

I have the same issue, 2018-11 SW version and won't update, been onto connected drive, explained issue, sent pic of version and told wait 24hrs blah blah etc.

It's a pain to have to take the car into a dealer to be left to be upgraded and the go back and collect etc so I may just get someone to code and update it remotely, don't mind paying a bit if it saves me time and fuel etc! Heard Zed coding are good so have contacted them to see if they can help.

What coding options are good for my 840d?
I have the B&W speaker system which amazing! have heard there are updates for this?
Assume there are gearbox updates etc that can be applied?
Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #149
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My car is booked in for this Thursday, so I'll update what happens!

M
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #150
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

my m850i predates the drive recorder, so I can't get it either.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #151
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
My build date was 11/18 and I'm betting yours was later.

I think the issue is the software version. Apparently, the flawed 03/2020 is the key software that delivers the Drive Recorder to our cars, though as you've seen, you'd have to get it from the dealership and then fix it as per my post above.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 06-22-2020 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #152
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
My build date was 11/18 and I'm betting yours was later.

I think the issue is the software version. Apparently, the flawed 03/2020 is the key software that delivers the Drive Recorder to our cars, though as you've seen, you'd have to get it from the dealership and then fix it as per my post above.
Yeah mine is a year old, I think the software is 11.xxxx I know it's not the new 03 or 05 because I've seen all your all's posts.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #153
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Here are the TSB's as of 04/2020
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10175292-9999.pdf (80.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: pdf MC-10175293-9999.pdf (80.3 KB, 59 views)

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:33 AM   #154
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Here are the TSB's as of 04/2020
Thats really helpful! Many thanks

M