M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iphone digital Key

01-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

iphone digital Key

As you can see I have a 2019 M850i running software version 07/2020.80. I have a iphone SE 2020 with software version 14.3.

I've tried to set up the digital key for my phone with no success. Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong. What's the trick. I have both key fobs in the car. I go to the digital key setup in I drive and follow the instructions. I put my phone in the charging tray, the light turns blue then goes to orange, but then times out.

Is it the car, phone, or do I need to do something else. Has anyone else done this with success. Thanks.
      01-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #2
jamodeo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Unfortunately CarKey is only compatible with most BMWs built after July 1, 2020. We can use the BMW "Key Card" with our cars if you have one but the iPhone specific CarKey function won't work with previous vehicles as it uses new hardware according to BMW.

As far as your charging mat though separate from the CarKey, I am concerned about it flashing orange for you when it comes to using the tray for charging. I would make sure you don't have anything between the phone and your case that is metallic, magnetic, or obstructing in any way between the center of the back of the phone and the charging mat. A standard protective case is ok on a phone, so long as nothing is wedged in between the phone and the case in the middle of it. When it flashes orange that means it is not charging due to an issue, most likely due to some kind of interference.

Sorry about the CarKey, I am upset as well having a 2020 without this capability as my car was built in 19.

For cars built after July 1, 2020, CarKey is setup in the BMW ConnectedDrive app on your phone.

-Joe
      01-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

Thanks Joe, That's what I thought...But I was hoping that the upgrade to the 07/2020.80 software would of changed that. As for the orange light, that only happened when I was trying to set up the digital key.. It charges fine, and the light stays blue.

Once again thanks.

Last edited by rb555; 01-24-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
jamodeo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb555 View Post
Thanks Joe, That's what I thought... as for the orange light. that only happened when I was trying to set up the digital key.. It charges fine.

Once again thanks.
Interesting, that must be the cars way of saying "I don't see a BMW key card" during Key Card setup. Thanks for the feedback, and no problem, happy to help!

-Joe
      01-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodeo View Post
Unfortunately CarKey is only compatible with most BMWs built after July 1, 2020. We can use the BMW "Key Card" with our cars if you have one but the iPhone specific CarKey function won't work with previous vehicles as it uses new hardware according to BMW.

As far as your charging mat though separate from the CarKey, I am concerned about it flashing orange for you when it comes to using the tray for charging. I would make sure you don't have anything between the phone and your case that is metallic, magnetic, or obstructing in any way between the center of the back of the phone and the charging mat. A standard protective case is ok on a phone, so long as nothing is wedged in between the phone and the case in the middle of it. When it flashes orange that means it is not charging due to an issue, most likely due to some kind of interference.

Sorry about the CarKey, I am upset as well having a 2020 without this capability as my car was built in 19.

For cars built after July 1, 2020, CarKey is setup in the BMW ConnectedDrive app on your phone.

-Joe
Agreed, i.e., completely disappointing as NFC is a universal standard but BMW obviously changed the hardware for the 2021s to support the iOS digital key. This was widely discussed in this thread https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735891 prior to 07/2020 even becoming available. One salient point in the thread which will require new hardware no questions asked is when the Digital Key 3.0 spec becomes a reality. The benefit being is with it the digital key will act more in align with the existing key fob capabilities for Comfort Access vs with the NFC based Digital Key 2.0 spec which is not possible due to NFC's signal distance of roughly 4 inches.
Appreciate 0