M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2024 M8 Coupe

03-04-2023, 02:03 PM   #45
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Is the suspension the same in the convertible and the coupe?

Was there any BMW press release for the 24 changes? (there's normally something even if they're minor but I can't seem to locate anything).

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #46
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Finally drove a new M8 (convertible) and it was very smooth in comfort modes much more so than we expected especially since my M850 came with non-run flat Pilots. I hope the verts don't have a softer setup vs the coupe, as that would taint the test. With respect to acceleration the M8 was stronger but it wasn't that much so, in all honesty.

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #47
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Finally drove a new M8 (convertible) and it was very smooth in comfort modes much more so than we expected especially since my M850 came with non-run flat Pilots. I hope the verts don't have a softer setup vs the coupe, as that would taint the test. With respect to acceleration the M8 was stronger but it wasn't that much so, in all honesty.
On the acceleration that's because both have the same torque. The M8C will shine with the additional HP over the N63 but for daily driving aka stop light to stop light they are most likely practically equal.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11289.50
Tenac4538.50
      03-04-2023, 07:05 PM   #48
Ghostrider641
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M8

Don’t forgot if you’ve been a member of BMWCCA form6 months there’s a discount
Appreciate 2
RJC-11289.50
      03-04-2023, 07:21 PM   #49
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
On the acceleration that's because both have the same torque. The M8C will shine with the additional HP over the N63 but for daily driving aka stop light to stop light they are most likely practically equal.
I didn’t accelerate from a dead stop or slow roll but from about 50 so the trq wasn’t as much of a factor, but I could tell as the speed increased it would walk (albeit slowly) my m850. Another thing is the M8 had 300 miles on it and it wasn’t broken in.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #50
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn’t accelerate from a dead stop or slow roll but from about 50 so the trq wasn’t as much of a factor, but I could tell as the speed increased it would walk (albeit slowly) my m850. Another thing is the M8 had 300 miles on it and it wasn’t broken in.
Yes, and that's why Mat Watson does 50mph rolling races as HP/torque is different at that level. It's interesting to watch when everything is comfort vs sport mode with annual shifting for those races as the transmission can be the issue on kick down vs the manual sport mode. Guessing given the same transmission in the M850i vs M8 the kickdown would be the same with both set in Comfort. Sport may be entirely different.

Forget the 300 miles on the M8 as it's been long proven you can run a M series at full bore and the 1200 mile maintenance is oil change, etc. Same for the M850i as you can DILYSI from day one.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #51
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, and that's why Mat Watson does 50mph rolling races as HP/torque is different at that level. It's interesting to watch when everything is comfort vs sport mode with annual shifting for those races as the transmission can be the issue on kick down vs the manual sport mode. Guessing given the same transmission in the M850i vs M8 the kickdown would be the same with both set in Comfort. Sport may be entirely different.

Forget the 300 miles on the M8 as it's been long proven you can run a M series at full bore and the 1200 mile maintenance is oil change, etc. Same for the M850i as you can DILYSI from day one.
I try to treat any new car gingerly as much as possible even if it's a tester, and all mine follow break-in to the "T". Think about it, vehicle manufactures want to avoid warranty repairs/costs, so if they say cool it until break-in is over that's what I'm doing. Furthermore, the M's required 1200-mile fluid changes must be important, or BMW certainly wouldn't pay for/require it, unless it helps to extend driveline life and/or reduce repairs.

On another note, I was truly pleasantly surprised the ride was so nice, although it was on Pilot S4's. The tester was a vert and I am trying to see if the verts suspension is dialed back a bit as is the case for others. Cant seem to find anything on this, any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:33 PM   #52
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I try to treat any new car gingerly as much as possible even if it's a tester, and all mine follow break-in to the "T". Think about it, vehicle manufactures don't warranty repairs/costs, so if they say cool it until break-in is over that's what I'm doing. Furthermore, the M's required 1200-mile fluid changes must be important, or BMW certainly wouldn't pay for/require it, unless it helps to extend driveline life and/or reduce repairs.

On another note, I was truly pleasantly surprised the ride was so nice, although it was on Pilot S4's. The tester was a vert and I am trying to see if the verts suspension is dialed back a bit as is the case for others. Cant seem to find anything on this, any ideas?
I too followed the break in rules on the M850i but in reality for a modern engine vs 30 years ago it is mostly a fallacy. I did it thinking in advance as if anything it may take off some of the future life of the engine (if anything at all) and was planning for it to be a keeper. Lease for 3 years and turn it in not even a factor of consideration.

The BMW break-in rules are a CYA attempt from their lawyers. However, outside of the ZF8 transmission cap on launches (can't remember the number) it won't state the day/time when done. There is also nothing in the car (unless I'm clueless) that will state when I drive 100MPH vs 60MPH. Nor when the engine reved at 4K RPMs vs 7500K. Doubled down on that in the privacy settings from day 1 not to include analysis on that (just posted that in a separate thread today).

So BMW would be hard pressed to prove I invalidated my warranty with launches before the 120O mile break-in, drive over the 100MPH cap or broke the 4500 RPM limit. All smoke and mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #53
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I too followed the break in rules on the M850i but in reality for a modern engine vs 30 years ago it is mostly a fallacy. I did it thinking in advance as if anything it may take off some of the future life of the engine (if anything at all) and was planning for it to be a keeper. Lease for 3 years and turn it in not even a factor of consideration.

The BMW break-in rules are a CYA attempt from their lawyers. However, outside of the ZF8 transmission cap on launches (can't remember the number) it won't state the day/time when done. There is also nothing in the car (unless I'm clueless) that will state when I drive 100MPH vs 60MPH. Nor when the engine reved at 4K RPMs vs 7500K. Doubled down on that in the privacy settings from day 1 not to include analysis on that (just posted that in a separate thread today).

So BMW would be hard pressed to prove I invalidated my warranty with launches before the 120O mile break-in, drive over the 100MPH cap or broke the 4500 RPM limit. All smoke and mirrors.
Respectfully disagree for my aforementioned reasons but to each his own . So long as bmw requires certain things during the 1200 miles that’s what I’ll be doing, I’d imagine their engineers and associated data know better about drivetrain longevity than we do and if it keeps their expenses (warranty claims) down that’s exactly what they’ll recommend to their customers and I want too - less problems - so it’s a win-win imho

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:07 PM   #54
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Respectfully disagree for my aforementioned reasons but to each his own . So long as bmw requires certain things during the 1200 miles that’s what I’ll be doing, I’d imagine their engineers and associated data know better about drivetrain longevity than we do and if it keeps their expenses (warranty claims) down that’s exactly what they’ll recommend to their customers and I want too - less problems - so it’s a win-win imho
Agreed and in doing so primarily back to my comment on a "keeper". If I was leasing just to throw it back in the pool I'd never had followed the break-in guidance. 👍
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50
      03-05-2023, 12:05 AM   #55
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Was my thinking as well, but I'm able to save about $6,200 ($2700 price diff, loyalty and a minor discount) on a 23 vs the 24, and the 23 is now due in any day, so that would save me 3 mos of lease payment on my M850 for another $3600, minus say 5% interest on the 150k for those three mos which is about $1900 so the net difference is $7300 for the 23 which is almost about the difference in value between the two model years (I'm guessing that actual # is $10,000)

Discounts on 24's where I live are not happening, but I'd imagine over the summer it might be different.
I’m of the opinion as the economy deteriorates things will change quickly. When the 2024 comes in I expect the car market to be vastly different. Nothing is guaranteed but, if it were me I’d bank on it being a different market in the next 4-6 months
      03-05-2023, 01:31 AM   #56
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I’m of the opinion as the economy deteriorates things will change quickly. When the 2024 comes in I expect the car market to be vastly different. Nothing is guaranteed but, if it were me I’d bank on it being a different market in the next 4-6 months
I’m with you and hoping the insanity in lux goods corrects…here’s the rub for me. I was at my local dealer who has a 24 coming in and was told it could be as early as 60 days. Secondly I was told the 23 I like at another dealer arrived early and will be here next week. The 24 dealer said there may be some loyalty by the time it comes in but around here they didn’t even discount much prior to covid leaving me to shop across the FL coast for better deals, but even they aren’t offering much. I’ve extended the lease on my 850 twice and can go three more months max which coincides with the 24’s arrival nicely. Decisions, decisions, and we’re all very blessed to have these to make. Appreciate the feedback.

Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      03-05-2023, 08:33 AM   #57
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
I’m with you and hoping the insanity in lux goods corrects…here’s the rub for me. I was at my local dealer who has a 24 coming in and was told it could be as early as 60 days. Secondly I was told the 23 I like at another dealer arrived early and will be here next week. The 24 dealer said there may be some loyalty by the time it comes in but around here they didn’t even discount much prior to covid leaving me to shop across the FL coast for better deals, but even they aren’t offering much. I’ve extended the lease on my 850 twice and can go three more months max which coincides with the 24’s arrival nicely. Decisions, decisions, and we’re all very blessed to have these to make. Appreciate the feedback.
Makes sense. I was assuming 2024 wouldn’t be delivered until July/august… still think even in 2-3 months the market could be much different. I’m not all about doom and gloom but all these FED rate hikes take 6-9 months to show its affects. Rate hikes in q3 2022 and after should be starting to affect economy in the coming months. Soft landing or recession either way I think car prices and everything comes down.

Luckily they slowed production of the M8 but it’s also a very slow seller. I see your quandary now lol..

I’d probably wait but whatever you do I wish you the best bud.
      03-09-2023, 03:48 AM   #58
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

The fluids in the diff and transmission are of running in quality . This helps the metal friction to be cleaned off any manufacturing material .
After the 1200 miles run in , then normal viscosity oils are put in for normal use driving .
The very fine oils used in the transmission and differential would heat up and may damage the parts . The running in process is purely to bed in the moving parts . At the 1200 service the transmission and diff is flushed and the normal oil required for daily use is put.
The engine is also the same . Those German engineers know what they are doing .
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1272.50
RJC-11289.50
      03-09-2023, 03:39 PM   #59
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulent Ali View Post
The fluids in the diff and transmission are of running in quality . This helps the metal friction to be cleaned off any manufacturing material .
After the 1200 miles run in , then normal viscosity oils are put in for normal use driving .
The very fine oils used in the transmission and differential would heat up and may damage the parts . The running in process is purely to bed in the moving parts . At the 1200 service the transmission and diff is flushed and the normal oil required for daily use is put.
The engine is also the same . Those German engineers know what they are doing .
Yep - following their recommendations is important.

Appreciate 2
      03-12-2023, 09:38 AM   #60
lair12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2016 X1, 2020 X3

BG color

I would say that I'm not a big fan of any of the current BMW colors, and I find the Brooklyn Grey looks like a depressing part of Brooklyn on a very gray and cloudy day. Of course, my favorite color was silver which they have totally eliminated from the BMW line, even though Mercedes has three different silver choices to choose from. Just recently bought an M8 50 grand coupe and had to settle for mineral white.

But the bottom line for interior and exterior colors is: get what you like.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 08:44 PM   #61
hersh67
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M8GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair12 View Post
I would say that I'm not a big fan of any of the current BMW colors, and I find the Brooklyn Grey looks like a depressing part of Brooklyn on a very gray and cloudy day. Of course, my favorite color was silver which they have totally eliminated from the BMW line, even though Mercedes has three different silver choices to choose from. Just recently bought an M8 50 grand coupe and had to settle for mineral white.

But the bottom line for interior and exterior colors is: get what you like.
Yea you’ll have to go the individual route if you take your colors seriously. This silver below is real nice. Think someone on here ordered it recently. And of course it costs a premium on top of the individual rate.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/09/10/2...pensive-color/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:17 PM   #62
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Yeah, Pure Metal Silver works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:21 PM   #63
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Yeah, Pure Metal Silver works just fine.
I believe that's the most expensive of the individual colors.

$10,300 and that was in 2014 dollars. It seems like an awful lot for essentially basic silver and, if it matters you don't seem to get any of your individual paint cost back when you sell the car.
https://www.pfonline.com/articles/th...sive-bmw-paint

Last edited by snareman; 03-15-2023 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:32 PM   #64
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post

$10,300 and that was in 2014 dollars. It seems like an awful lot for essentially basic silver and, if it matters you don't seem to get any of your individual paint cost back when you sell the car.
Not to mention several more thousands for PPF and ceramic coating.

Yikes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 09:47 PM   #65
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post

This color seems very similar to Super Silver on GT-Rs.
Don't get a scratch, that's a total loss!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 03:09 AM   #66
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

10k for a silver? 👀
Nope nope nope
Appreciate 1
Volcanic168.00