M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix - stubborn electronic gremlins

10-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

M850ix - stubborn electronic gremlins

This is not a big deal because I've found workarounds, but I am curious as to whether other M850 owners also are experiencing intermittent electronic glitches such as:

- Radio or other entertainment presets occasionally decide not to show up in the head-up windshield display. The solution has been to restart the car. Voila, there they are again.

- The garage door opener occasionally decides not to close the garage door. I've repeatedly reprogramed it and played around with the garage-door antenna. Doesn't matter. One out of every 10 times or so, it doesn't work. (Yet, it opens the garage door 100 percent of the time, even from 50 yards away).

- My iPhone Xs occasionally is not recognized under the precise same conditions that it had been recognized. I have found (and shared here) various fixes for this, generally making sure that the phone is on both the car's wifi and Bluetooth signals, switching the phone's wifi capability off and back on, etc.

- Related to the above, every now and then the car decides to spontaneously uncheck the wifi permission box in iDrive.

Owners, are you experiencing any of these? Or any similar gremlins?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 10-16-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
I've not experienced the issues you have outlined, but will look out for them. The garage door solution not available in Australia.

The gremlin I have experienced is the augmented exhaust sound software takes over the entire sound system and turns itself into a high pitched whine which gets louder as you accelerate. Turning off the engine and restarting the car does not solve the issue. Leaving the car switched off overnight for some reason resets everything back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Ozzie, well that's a new one. Hadn't...heard...of that one.

Given your experience with solutions, maybe try this (just for fun): Shut it off and leave it off for about eight minutes. Then, restart and see what happens. That delay seems to successfully kill my presets-heads up gremlin.

I think the reason might be that the car stays in sleep mode - and doesn't really reset the electronics - for about eight minutes.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Thanks mate I will try that - makes sense. Yes BMW had not heard of my issue before either! Will post if it re-occurs and will apply your fix.
Appreciate 1