M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Messages using iDrive+iPhone

07-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Messages using iDrive+iPhone

If like me you like to use the iDrive interface with your iPhone and NOT Apple CarPlay then I’m afraid there is bad news in relation to text messages.

You can receive a message in the iDrive messages interface OK from your iPhone, however there will be no address book contact detail. If Adele were to send me a message which said “Hello”, I can see the message appear at the top of the screen while driving and I can access the message while stopped, however I won’t know that it is from Adele as her name does not appear.

Further you can only receive the messages sent since your iPhone was connected to the car. In other words you can’t access your full message list.

I’ve spent a few hours trying all of the possibilities to fix
- Samsung (Android) works perfectly, therefore not car issue
- iPhone deleted and repaired, therefore not phone connection issue
- Address book refreshed, therefore contacts available, not the issue
- iMessage switched off (use SMS), therefore not iMessage issue
- therefore multiply by 4, carry three - its an iPhone issue!!

This is a pity as I have text messages as one of my programmable buttons and I used to love just one press where I could see all messages and then call back anyone while driving.

So either
a) I winge and moan about Apple & BMW not being able to get the integration working
b) I convert back to being an Android user
c) I convert to Apple CarPlay

And the a)’s have it by a nose. C’mon BMW & Apple - sort this out.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Yes, I discovered the same thing some time ago. It's mind-boggling that BMW can't get iDrive to display the text sender's name or other common text information.

This is why I keep both iDrive and CarPlay active on my screen. I generally keep it in the iDrive (dominoes) mode, but when I'm notified by CarPlay that a text has arrived, I hit the controller dial or touch the CarPlay icon in the upper left corner of the screen to temporarily swap over to CarPlay and access that information.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      07-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks I am going to give that a try. Had not thought of both coexisting.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Thanks I am going to give that a try. Had not thought of both coexisting.
Go to mobile devices and, to connect, choose the Car Play option. May take a few tries, but it should work. When it does, you’ll see two icons in the upper left corner. One for iDrive and one for CarPlay. Just toggle between them.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
forbegos34
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 840xDrive Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Yes, I discovered the same thing some time ago. It's mind-boggling that BMW can't get iDrive to display the text sender's name or other common text information.

This is why I keep both iDrive and CarPlay active on my screen. I generally keep it in the iDrive (dominoes) mode, but when I'm notified by CarPlay that a text has arrived, I hit the controller dial or touch the CarPlay icon in the upper left corner of the screen to temporarily swap over to CarPlay and access that information.
I don't understand how in 2020 BMW cannot have iDrive fully interface with iOS. Mind boggling.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #6
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Fixed: iDrive + iPhone messages

Just upgraded to the new iPhone 11 running iOS 13.1.2 and I am pleased to report the issues reported below have now been fixed. Messages now coming through with sender information. Well done BMW or Apple or both.

Quote:
If like me you like to use the iDrive interface with your iPhone and NOT Apple CarPlay then I’m afraid there is bad news in relation to text messages.

You can receive a message in the iDrive messages interface OK from your iPhone, however there will be no address book contact detail. If Adele were to send me a message which said “Hello”, I can see the message appear at the top of the screen while driving and I can access the message while stopped, however I won’t know that it is from Adele as her name does not appear.

Further you can only receive the messages sent since your iPhone was connected to the car. In other words you can’t access your full message list.

I’ve spent a few hours trying all of the possibilities to fix
- Samsung (Android) works perfectly, therefore not car issue
- iPhone deleted and repaired, therefore not phone connection issue
- Address book refreshed, therefore contacts available, not the issue
- iMessage switched off (use SMS), therefore not iMessage issue
- therefore multiply by 4, carry three - its an iPhone issue!!

This is a pity as I have text messages as one of my programmable buttons and I used to love just one press where I could see all messages and then call back anyone while driving.

So either
a) I winge and moan about Apple & BMW not being able to get the integration working
b) I convert back to being an Android user
c) I convert to Apple CarPlay

And the a)’s have it by a nose. C’mon BMW & Apple - sort this out.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just upgraded to the new iPhone 11 running iOS 13.1.2 and I am pleased to report the issues reported below have now been fixed. Messages now coming through with sender information. Well done BMW or Apple or both.
iOS 13.1.2 also works better with my iPhone Xs, producing a completely different - smoother and more attractive - interface for CarPlay. Haven't tried it yet in the iDrive environment, but I expect to see improvement there, as well.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Totally agree. I'm also finding the iPhone 11 significantly faster and this flows through to improved in-car responsiveness.
Appreciate 0