M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Excise tax refund after lease turn in

05-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #1
x5man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8 Gran Coupe

Excise tax refund after lease turn in

In Massachusetts, residents pay car excise tax to the municipality where they live. At first 1-3 years these taxes are high and can be in $1500 - 2000 range. However, if you sell a car, you can file for a prorated refund of paid taxes from local town hall for unused portion of fiscal year. It's a simple procedure. However, this becomes complicated if a car is leased and BMW is taxed directly and then they ask a lessee to reimburse BMW these tax. My lease ended and I am eligible for prorated tax refund. I called BMWFS and their CSR told me that YES - they do have procedures to claim these monies and they do work with customers. They ask to email them supporting documents to their finance department. Problem is that I emailed them several times during my last 3 leased cars with them and all those requests got lost. No acknowledgement, no records of its receipt and I never received any refunds. I just gave up on trying.

I am curious if anyone was able to get these taxes back from BMWFS and what I may be doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Did they give you a generic email address, e.g., bmwfs@bmwusa.com or something along those lines? If so I'd call back and when speaking to the CSR explain the past failed attempts and see if you can get the agent's direct email address. I've done this in the past with other companies in which generic email kept getting "lost" and if you get the right agent on the line (it may take more than 1 attempt) who is sympathetic they'll step up to help.
Appreciate 0