M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Will any US states ever delimit speeds on interstates?

02-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #45
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

In most states road crashes and fatality injuries are increasing over the last 4 years. I constantly see road barriers and rails destroyed by single car crashes. I assume all of this is from texting drivers. As noted above, I don't want Susy or Jack driving near me at 110mph in a 5900lbs SUV with mismatched worn tires, crap brakes, and worn shocks all while texting or watching youtube videos.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #46
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think the speed limit was 85 in Kansas - so functionally almost a free-for-all American Autobahn (I hear in Texas it is 90?). I also think there is some romanticizing about the Autobahn - granted that they are better drivers in Europe, but it isn't like a gigantic country-wide track day. I've heard plenty of stories about commuters or delivery trucks on the Autobahn causing havoc by pulling out to pass or hogging lanes.
I don’t think that turned out well for Kansas drivers as it significantly increased accident rates wherever the speed limit was increased, so they dropped it back down.

I think the first couple of comments hit the nail on the head.

Too many morons on the road. The average driver here can barely stay within the lines of their lane for more than 10 seconds at a time. Even if you could filter out all of the incompetent people via a more rigorous and thorough driver’s education system, or just educate people how to be better drivers in general, I still wouldn’t feel safe traveling at autobahn speeds here, or most anywhere else I’ve been in the US. Some of the roads are actual pieces of shit....Roads are often allowed to get to sub par conditions. Whenever the roads are finally attended to, the repairs either take months, or look like a 5 year did it with silly puddy.

Here’s a perfect example of what some of the potholes I’ve seen look like on the highway just in the past couple of weeks.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #47
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEisbaer View Post
German Autobahn is very different from what most people in the world expect it to be.

My first introduction to the Autobahn was in 2007. The US Army did a good job getting me to Munich, but my ride to Vilseck wasn't waiting for me at the airport as I was told it would be. I had to report very early in the morning to even start the training I was going there for, so I was a bit screwed.

but then I called a taxi.

I was frightened. I was in the back seat of a Mercedes doing about 220 at times. I was thankful to get where I needed to be with enough time to find a place to sleep and barely make it to check in for my training.

Autobahn speeds are scary (to me) when you aren't in control.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #48
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
I constantly see road barriers and rails destroyed by single car crashes. I assume all of this is from texting drivers. .

Texters and cell phone glued to face talkers may even be worse than drunks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #49
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
and they're constantly repairing and replacing the surface

But how is that any different than Dallas/Ft Worth?
      02-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
and they're constantly repairing and replacing the surface

But how is that any different than Dallas/Ft Worth?
Because they actually do repairs, with materials and workers, they don't just setup cones for a year and then come pick them up.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #51
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Because they actually do repairs, with materials and workers, they don't just setup cones for a year and then come pick them up.
No argument there.

They just never finish the repairs.
      02-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #52
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Lane discipline in US is horrid. No way is it going to happen in the near future.

That said, there are a few stretches of highway on the east coast where you can pay to drive (separately barricaded multiple HOV express lanes). These stretches of interstate are well constructed and have the best chance of triple digit speed limits if it's ever going to happen. A pay to "commute faster" type system is the only way IMO. Revenue would be tremendous but they already have commuters paying to drive the speed limit.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #53
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Lane discipline in US is horrid. No way is it going to happen in the near future.

That said, there are a few stretches of highway on the east coast where you can pay to drive (separately barricaded multiple HOV express lanes). These stretches of interstate are well constructed and have the best chance of triple digit speed limits if it's ever going to happen. A pay to "commute faster" type system is the only way IMO. Revenue would be tremendous but they already have commuters paying to drive the speed limit.
You should see the express lanes in Miami. Barricades = plastic sticks and people routinely cross through / over them. Plus when there is an accident in an express lane, such as when some douchebag skid on a wet road from the non-express lanes through the sticks and into me a few years back, the Express lanes really clog up. Hopefully they are better implemented elsewhere.
      02-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #54
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You should see the express lanes in Miami. Barricades = plastic sticks and people routinely cross through / over them. Plus when there is an accident in an express lane, such as when some douchebag skid on a wet road from the non-express lanes through the sticks and into me a few years back, the Express lanes really clog up. Hopefully they are better implemented elsewhere.
You didn’t mention that we pay as high as $10.50 (at least that’s the highest i’ve seen) for the privilege of experiencing all that for 10 short miles.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      02-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #55
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
You didn’t mention that we pay as high as $10.50 (at least that’s the highest i’ve seen) for the privilege of experiencing all that for 10 short miles.
Oh yeah, forgot that part. The more crowded it gets the more expensive it is. When it gets over $10 there’s a good chance there was an accident that is clogging things up. Fortunately, I’m not down in Miami that much. No good way in or out.
      02-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #56
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Did anybody actually read the article in OP? In some states, it's as simple as setting new speed limits in cities, or allowing trucks to go 65 mph in certain sections in California (where truckers already go that fast).

The big holdup for raising speed limits is financial. Federal highway funds get cut off if a state raises speed limits above certain levels. That's also how the .08% DUI law was adopted in all 50 states.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #57
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Agreed better driver training for sure, but will never happen, look up driver dashcam vids on youtube lol!

but disagree with above, you're saying doing 140mph wont get me to my destination faster than 70?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #58
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Did anybody actually read the article in OP? In some states, it's as simple as setting new speed limits in cities, or allowing trucks to go 65 mph in certain sections in California (where truckers already go that fast).

The big holdup for raising speed limits is financial. Federal highway funds get cut off if a state raises speed limits above certain levels. That's also how the .08% DUI law was adopted in all 50 states.
The original post by OP referred to Autobahn type highways with no speed limits for at least portions of the highway (since edited). Not just increasing speed limits - eliminating them. That’s why a lot of the posts say what they say.
      02-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #59
dmode
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Not only are US highways have bad pavement conditions, but our merge and ramp design and driving culture doesn't also support high speeds. One of the great things about Autobahn is just that every merge and every exit has the exact same design. Dedicated lanes to merge in, clear well marked lanes, long on ramps etc
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #60
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Not only are US highways have bad pavement conditions, but our merge and ramp design and driving culture doesn't also support high speeds. One of the great things about Autobahn is just that every merge and every exit has the exact same design. Dedicated lanes to merge in, clear well marked lanes, long on ramps etc
That's now how we do it here. Here, we get on the highway, THEN we speed up to highway speed.
      02-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #61
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Nope. Many slip roads are very short and tight. Which one reason why you'll find many junctions are signed at 120kmh. Plus there may be an unmarked traffic cop waiting to pounce on anyone failing to slow.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #62
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

It's good to see Oregon on the list because most of the freeways are still at 55 and 60mph and drivers love to go 45mph on the left lane here for some odd reason?!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #63
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
It's good to see Oregon on the list because most of the freeways are still at 55 and 60mph and drivers love to go 45mph on the left lane here for some odd reason?!
Hypermiling Greenies?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #64
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Hypermiling Greenies?
In their Prius' and Subaru's. Way too many Prius' in this state!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #65
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

Government loves to control, so it will never change so they'll have control.

But people will always exceed the limit since it's in their nature and the car companies keep increasing the horse power.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #66
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Bottom line:

- In the U.S., driving is seen as a right by both citizens and the government.
- In Germany (and much of the EU), driving is seen as a privilege by both citizens and the government.

That basic difference is reflected in nearly every aspect of driving culture, from speed limits (or the lack thereof) and road etiquette (or the lack thereof) to driver training (or the lack thereof) and assumed responsibility (yes, there's an echo ... or, rather, a recurring theme). It has been this way since both the Autobahn and the Interstate systems were constructed.

That is why we will never see true high-speed highways in the U.S. It's cultural, societal, political, and more.
Appreciate 1