M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Any 850 owners out there?

02-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #23
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
This is my spec, can't wait till July.
Carbon black with Merino Cognac.
Gorgeous!
Appreciate 2
mptpa251.00
Mr_Burt77.50
      02-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #24
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
Redhot47fla, could you please post images of your interior? Thanks.
FL650, here you go, though I fear it may not be very useful. It's just devilishly difficult to obtain true-color photos of the interior. Both shades are MUCH darker, much richer than they appear here.

Basically, in real life, the outer trim is black and the inner panels are dark blue. Both colors are very close to each other in shade - most people who just glance at the interior will assume in passing that the seats are black. But, on closer inspection, they will see the black-blue combination.

Put another way, the overall colors and effect in real life are almost identical to what you see in the configurator for night blue-black extended merino. Again, these grossly off-shade photos mostly are useful to allow you to see how the colors are distributed. We are quite pleased with the actual look in the actual car.

So, I hope this helps - at least a little, perhaps simply in showing where the colors differentiate.

(Also, fwiw, to make up for some ill-treatment I received by the service department, the dealer is obtaining the crystal-cut glass controls for me. They should be installed in a week or two.)
Attached Images

Last edited by redhot47fla; 02-09-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 5
      02-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #25
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
This is my spec, can't wait till July.
Carbon black with Merino Cognac.

Exactly the spec I've got last week while my i8 was in for service.
Really nice!
Thinking about buying one now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
      04-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #26
cstraley
Rep
Drives: BMW 850i Convertible

Garage List
2 cents

Besides all of the obvious I really am HAPPY with the active steering. That is what makes this car a joy to drive around corners! It is executed amazing well imo. I love active rear diff's but this active steer feels good unlike an active diff that "to me" going around a tight corner and giving it some gas feels like the back end is slipping..... This active steer feels like the whole car is changing directions effortlessly. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Anyone out there driving one yet? Post you input and pictures please
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #27
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

have had it for about 2 1/2 months now, Sunset orange w/ White interior, glass controls, carbon roof/package & alcantara roof... coming from a '16 750i it's been an absolute joy to drive ... in adaptive it's quiet and drives just like the 7 series but when you throw it in sport + all the power and torque hits you! Plus the burbles & backfires are insane for stock. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the interior especially compared to the 7 series but the more I'm in it the more I'm in love with it. No need to talk about the exterior because it speaks for itself! was deciding between this and the F90 comeptition And have no regrets whatsoever!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
themnmd1687.00
Ozzie8641.00
      05-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #28
Kamz2070
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport Alpine White

Picked this beast up today, new g14 convertible, anyone coded these yet?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
Wing Co239.00
      05-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #29
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 M50d (F16), i3 REx, M850i (

I'm very happy with the M850i. Very, very happy. Two minor defects in the last 3 weeks;

1. Bonnet (hood) catches failed to engage and won't shut. Temporary work-around using a small ball of tissue paper make the bonnet safe for driving(!). Being replaced early next week.

2. Boot (trunk) does not open electrically every time. Dealer is adjusting the hinge positions to correct, also early next week.

All are mnor, unimportant defects, easily remediated.

I'm driving to Munich from UK Germany next week. Can't wait to have a long drive, via beautiful empty French autoroute, and later on unrestricted German Autobahn.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
themnmd1687.00
jjasonSU194.00
Ozzie8641.00
      05-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #30
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I only opened my bonnet for the first time the other day and at first I thought it was defective when it would not shut from about 8 inches. So I just dropped it from a higher height - worked every time since.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #31
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
I only opened my bonnet for the first time the other day and at first I thought it was defective when it would not shut from about 8 inches. So I just dropped it from a higher height - worked every time since.
Likewise. A little scary, but you have to drop it pretty hard from pretty high.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #32
ashandger
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

May I ask is the steering significantly heavier in Sport mode compared to comfort mode? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #33
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I've had mine for about six weeks. Alpine white/night blue-black extended merino, comfort seating, M carbon roof, alcantara headliner. The "cheeky" glass controls are being added soon by the dealer.

I agree with very much of what firstbimmernyc says above. It is just a joy to drive. Powerful, smooth, quiet (except in sport and sport plus). I disagree with him regarding the interior - I know that it's getting some criticism on the boards, but I and others who have seen mine honestly believe it is first rate and melds quite nicely with the exterior design and the overall...panache...of the car.

My car had a few sample defects - a malfunctioning oxygen sensor heater and a flawed telematics control unit. Both were fixed within the first two weeks, though it took too much work on my part to get the dealer to concentrate on both, especially the latter.

As he says above, the electronics are a little glitchy, especially regarding the communications systems - iPhone/Car Play coordination, entertainment options appearing in the HUD, ConnectedDrive features, etc.

But, after a few weeks of troubleshooting, I have everything playing together nicely now. I like iDrive 7 a lot. A whole lot. I can't imagine ever going back.

firstbimmernyc: A few tips

- It is possible to get iDrive and CarPlay to work together and to be able to toggle between them on the Home screen. Just keep digging through the menus and options, particularly on the COMM page. If you have any particular questions about the settings, feel free to ask me here.

- Though iDrive 7 can handle two cell phones...it really can't. It gets really confused if more than one iPhone and/or more than one key fob are in the car. Best to keep it simple - pair only one phone to the car and try to keep the second fob out of the way, especially if you're in the process of configuring the system.

- Make sure that your in-car WiFi hotspot system is turned on and that your phone is paired with it. And make sure that the Bluetooth systems are paired. Nothing will work very well, communications-wise, until you do that. Also, the embedded AT&T WiFi chip and system are fast as hell. I surprised myself by subscribing to it (on behalf of my iPad-intensive grandson).

- Both screens are extremely configurable. Again, dig through the menu items and the Owner Manual. And, again, feel free to ask me anything. I've been through the mill.

- You can turn off the flashing speed-limit nanny. Go to Settings/Driver Assistance/Driving/Speed Limit Assistant.

- I've found the satellite radio reception to be a tad inferior to that on other BMWs. More brief dropouts under trees, though - in truth - still not very many. This could be because they have buried the satellite antenna in the rear driver-side fender rather than in a familiar exterior shark fin.

- Be sure to create a driver profile that stores your settings - and coordinate it with your ConnectedDrive account (again, that's in the menus under Driver Profile). If you do that, each time you unlock the car, it will greet you with your first name on the navi screen. That will blow away your friends.

I think that's it, but let's stay in touch.

Oh, also: The car can be coded to restore the no-dazzle brights, to turn off the annoying auto-start-stop as the default, and a few other things. See the coding thread on this page.
Hi
I finally got my car delivered yesterday after dropping off in Munich. I could use some input from you for the following:
- I cannot see the Digital key option under doors/access to activate
- cannot get Apple Car Play
- do not see the WiFi hotspot (so I can activate)
- worse, cannot even add my car to the Connected app; apparently their server had been down for a couple of days.

Is there a real use for the display key? There is no remote control for reverse or drive into a tight spot. It is just bulky and I get same functions in the connected app. Did I miss any?

How to get the remote 3D view?

Thx a lot.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #34
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

This is the reply I sent to MPTPA earlier today:

Hi, congrats on the car. Fyi, unbelievably, I just traded the M850 coupe for the M850 convertible, which is more appropriate for me.

Anyway, virtually all of your problems are related to the latest and most complete Connected Drive outage since wheels were invented.

In order:

- I cannot see the Digital key option under doors/access to activate
If you mean the option that allows you to open and start your car with a cell phone, it will not work with an iPhone, which I imagine you have since you're referring to CarPlay. It's operational only for Android phones, at least for now.

- cannot get Apple Car Play
I'll copy and paste the settings below for CarPlay and an iPhone but...many users are saying that the ConnectedDrive outage has evaporated their CarPlay service. CarPlay apparently requires both Bluetooth and in-car Wi-Fi connectivity to your iPhone.

- do not see the WiFi hotspot (so I can activate)
Again, ConnectedDrive. I was able to activate the WiFi hotspot in the car I received Monday, but it only works inside the car - to link to CarPlay, which for me is still working (though it's not working for many others). At the moment, my in-car Wi-Fi cannot communicate with the outside world - apparently due to the ConnectedDrive outage. To find the hotspot, go to Home Screen>COM>Mobile Devices and touch device settings along the right side.

- worse, cannot even add my car to the Connected app; apparently their server had been down for a couple of days.
You probably know this, but even under the best of circumstances, ConnectedDrive is glitchy and undependable. Sometimes it does everything, sometimes nothing, sometimes in between.
Apparently, BMW tried to completely revise the system within the last week or two and...typically...in the process it pretty much killed the system.
Like many others, I keep calling BMW Assist and/r the BMW Genius and, like us, they know nothing. It will be restored in a day, in three days, by next week. Each has a different story.

- Display Key
It's nice to show off to your friends, but it has no practical purpose. You are correct - it is bulky, it is not fully functional, there is no way to connect it to a keychain, etc. I just keep mine charged (mostly through the wireless charging tray in the car) and then I store it in the house. Also be aware that your driver Profile generally can be stored only in one key device at a time. So if you store it to the normal key, you'll usually - but not always (BMW again) - have to reset it when you change to the Display Key or vice versa.

- Remote 3D
Again, pretty cool, but it works through the ConnectedDrive app on your phone, which of course doesn't work at all. If the system ever comes back, you'll see an option for Remote 3D on your phone app.

It's hard to be patient (patience is not my strong suit), but it's best not to mess too much with anything inside the car until you have reason to believe that Connected Drive is working for most people - because I have learned the hard way that nearly everything related to telematics is dependent on ConnectedDrive. The phone app, the in-car Wi-Fi system, Car Play, etc.

Let's say in touch and compare notes. When either of us sees that ConnectedDrive is back, it will be good to let the other know..

Any other questions, fire away. I currently hold the world record for most M850s owned in the shortest time, because I'm an idiot.

redhot47fla

Here are the steps for linking Car Play, when ConnectedDrive is back:

On the M850i:

Home screen>COM>Mobile Devices

Be sure to check (enable) Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Internet Connection, and Apple Car Play

Under Devices, highlight your phone.

Under Connection Mode: Choose "Apple Car Play"

If you see that it has connected, touch the Home button on the center console to return to the Home screen.

If we somehow got this right, you should see two icons in the upper left corner - one for iDrive and, right next to it, one that says "Apple CarPlay."

Just touch each icon to swap between the two systems.

I tend to leave my home screen on iDrive, but I switch into Car Play when I see that a text or phone message has come through. When both systems are playing nicely together, by moving to Car Play and touching the Phone or Text icon, Siri will read you the messages and offer you response options.

Don't lose heart if all of this fails the first time or the first few times. You may have to restart your phone and/or the car and redo the settings as per above.

But sooner or later, probably later, it will work.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #35
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

One other point and I should have begun here: Make sure that your dealer has successfully submitted an ESA (Electronic Subscriber Agreement) for the new car, linking it to your existing ConnectedDrive account. Absent that, nothing in the telematics will work properly.

On the coupe, the sales people forgot to submit the ESA and that cost me two days of aggravation trying to make the telematics work. This time, I told them that I wasn't going to leave the dealership without seeing that the ESA was successfully submitted - and it took some time, because, what a surprise, even that function was down for awhile Monday.

When the ESA has linked the new car to your existing ConnectedDrive account, you should receive an emailed confirmation from the bozos at ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:02 PM   #36
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AMG GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

have had it for about 2 1/2 months now, Sunset orange w/ White interior, glass controls, carbon roof/package & alcantara roof... coming from a '16 750i it's been an absolute joy to drive ... in adaptive it's quiet and drives just like the 7 series but when you throw it in sport + all the power and torque hits you! Plus the burbles & backfires are insane for stock. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the interior especially compared to the 7 series but the more I'm in it the more I'm in love with it. No need to talk about the exterior because it speaks for itself! was deciding between this and the F90 comeptition And have no regrets whatsoever!
I'm in the same boat as you. Tomorrow is decision day. I want the raw power of the M5 comp but the looks of the 8er is tugging at me. 1st world problems. Test drives will finalize it for me. Can't wait!!!

Your spec looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #37
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCO View Post
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm in the same boat as you. Tomorrow is decision day. I want the raw power of the M5 comp but the looks of the 8er is tugging at me. 1st world problems. Test drives will finalize it for me. Can't wait!!!

Your spec looks amazing.
Appreciate you boss!!! Let me know how it goes I'm really curious! It was such a tough decision but honestly no regrets at all. Sounds different from any BMW too! More AMG throat to it
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #38
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate you boss!!! Let me know how it goes I'm really curious! It was such a tough decision but honestly no regrets at all. Sounds different from any BMW too! More AMG throat to it
Guess??? (not sure why the pic keeps rotating)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #39
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCO View Post
Quote:
Guess??? (not sure why the pic keeps rotating)
Ooooo weeee! Did you pull the trigger?!? is that carbon black I see
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #40
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
im thinking Tanzanite Blue II Metallic ..... but i see the carbon in the spoiler!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #41
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmernyc View Post
I've had mine for a week now. Black on black on black with carbon package. Lol. It is aggressive and elegant looking but in a kind of understated way. I also debadged it. Will not be everyone's style but it works for me. This is the pic from dealer pic up. Waiting for the weather to be at least above freezing before getting it cleaned and will submit more photos later.

Let me just say that this car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The acceleration is just ridiculous and I don't know if I would be able to appreciate it any more or less than an M5 or Merc S63. Where this car really does it for me is the xdrive. BMW has really gotten this right. It's not like the M5 where you can switch from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive but I'm sure the M8 will. This xdrive does has rear wheel bias so I guess that's where some of that acceleration joy comes from. One thing is that this is a heavy car. But it makes the cornering and acceleration even that more impressive imo. Lol. Some like 911 and the AMG GTS but I like a little more presence in my car. If you haven't test driven one, go out and do it! The exhaust in sport plus is just nasty. It gurgles in such a great way it's amazing. But in comfort, you can tone it down and not look like a douche. Lol. But I secretly love the sound so much.

Now some negatives. Some of the interior components feel a bit cheap. Compared to my recent Range Rover the interior isn't as nice as far as material goes. Although I didn't get the individual leather or the cheeky glass gear shifter. Lol. The iDrive system is very nice but a little glitchy. Still trying to get my car play to work, but that may because my iPhone wasn't up to date. The digital key also doesn't work for me yet. Will have to get that fixed. The lane assist on this thing can jerk the car. I'm not a huge fan of it and keep it off most of the time. The heads up display is nice but flashes when you are going over the speed limit and can get annoying. I'm sure there is a way to turn it off but haven't gone in for my genius session. The room in the back is not great but is doable if you move your seat up closer. For those of you over 6'2" though you can forget about anyone sitting behind you. The digital instrument cluster is ok but would still like more customization. Audi's do it the best.

Added stuff. The reverse parking thing is fun and is somewhat useful as I park this in a tight garage. The back seats can fold down for more cargo. There is a hands free trunk which I didn't know about. The cameras on this car top notch but the added warning block colors get in the way sometimes. I'm still getting used to it.

Bottom line, I get much joy out of of this car. I use this as my daily driver now and it is fun as hell. I don't open it up everyday but when I'm the mood, it's so nice. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like a merc but it just drives better imo. It's what BMW does. I don't need all that extra stuff and for $40k less, this thing wins imo. I'm still getting to learn this car so I'll try and update again later.
Do you find it to be that much better than a 6 series? Been looking at CPO coupes and convertible 6's. Love that body style. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #42
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejael View Post
im thinking Tanzanite Blue II Metallic ..... but i see the carbon in the spoiler!
Tanzanite Blue is correct....similar to edwarjejeega's spec...carbon bits everywhere, black wheels, alcantara headliner with Ivory White...absolutely love the look of this car....particularly the rear....pics do not do it justice..

Test drove the M5 comp and it's a Beast BUT once I heard the 850 and felt how pointed the car was I was sold. The throaty sound is intoxicating with the windows down...I giggle like a kid every time. Love that you can adjust all the driver settings like my old M4..It just transforms with a push of a button....so comfortable as well..Kudos BMW The M8 will be ridiculous...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #43
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Congratulations everyone. What a beauty.
Most likely I will jump into M8 Competition. I'm love it
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      07-05-2019, 04:25 AM   #44
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
DVR so glad you went with cognac interior it really shows it off. Nice.
Appreciate 0