M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Do you keep your cars long term?

02-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #45
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I go into every purchase with the best of intentions of owning at least 6-7 years, if not longer. Usually at the four-year mark, however, is when I get the itch to trade for something new again.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #46
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Before Georgia changed its taxes, it was a long term vehicle if I owned it for more than 6 months. I was basically able to drive something new and cool every once in a while and typically made money doing it. Nothing like getting paid to drive something!

Now that you pay taxes up front, I'm quite a bit more selective in my vehicle choice and consequently hang on to them for years at a time.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #47
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I buy with the intention of owning until I drive it into the ground, but I get pretty bored with the car after 2 years and look to turn it over for something better.

But given the facts that:
  • This 135i halved in value since I got it not long ago
  • The mods on this car are hard to reverse, come to a value that exceeds the actual value of the car and aren't worth a lot second hand
  • The only cars I would replace it with are more than twice the price of this 135i and I don't have spare cash like I used to, because:
  • I have kids now and need four seats.

... it looks like I'm going to actually make good with my initial expectation that I'll drive it until it dies.
Appreciate 0