M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Porsche Cayman GT4 revealed.

02-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #111
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
They are snobs. I simply don't know any new car today that is not DD. Even a 4C or Lotus is DD if you are fit enough to get in and out.
Now you are saying that a Lotus makes a good DD? On what planet? Can you see your dad DD'ing a Lotus?

Sorry man, but the only one that comes off as a snob is you. What if you commute 2 hours a day? Does a Lotus Exige sound like a good idea. Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Maybe you should reread his post.
Haven't is the opposite of have.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #112
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Maybe you should reread his post.
Haven't is the opposite of have.
I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #113
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ok, well just saying - id rather open my garage door and see 911 everyday then the Cayman.
Funny.

I'm not a big Porsche guy and, of the two, I actually prefer the looks/lines of the Cayman.

In fact, I'd probably rather have a Cayman S than the GT4 (I don't know if i'll ever have a car with a big ole wing on the back....unless it is retractable like on a 918. that car is ). I'm sure this confession disqualifies me from membership in various clubs and will probably result in the loss of 500 reputation points here but........I dunno. Never really 'got' the 911 thing, though I know lots of people who love them.
      02-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #114
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I have 2 new 991 GT3's here at work that are available.
Really? Let me guess those are probably listed for about $180k?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #115
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Funny.

I'm not a big Porsche guy and, of the two, I actually prefer the looks/lines of the Cayman.

In fact, I'd probably rather have a Cayman S than the GT4 (I don't know if i'll ever have a car with a big ole wing on the back....unless it is retractable like on a 918. that car is ). I'm sure this confession disqualifies me from membership in various clubs and will probably result in the loss of 500 reputation points here but........I dunno. Never really 'got' the 911 thing, though I know lots of people who love them.
You are now officially banned from Bimmerpost too. lol.

I would love to get the GT4. Just the right size.

How is your M3?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #116
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Maybe, but it'll still get buried by a Z06. So, again, to sum up - Z06 for performance, 911 for prestige, and no room left in the garage for the GT4.

Well that must be it then - I just so happen to be a rich teenage girl who pretends to be an enthusiast yet can only drive auto and who plans to spend a little bit more of daddy's money on a 911. I get one in pink right?

Tootles!
Not everyone want crazy perf that z06 offers, let alone utilize its full potential even at the track. And im sure many would rather be seen in gt4 than vette.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #117
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Not everyone want crazy perf that z06 offers, let alone utilize its full potential even at the track. And im sure many would rather be seen in gt4 than vette.
So the market for the car is for all those people who love powerful sports cars, "but not 650hp, Jesus, that's way too much power man!", and who crave the prestige of the Porsche badge, "but not the 911 good sir, that's simply too exclusive for moi".

Alright then, I do believe we've narrowed down the tiny slice of the market that this car is being targeted at. Nice work fellows, I somehow feel like we accomplished something important here today.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #118
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Really? Let me guess those are probably listed for about $180k?
$167-169000 with only the proper options with steel brakes.I ordered them to be well set up for the track day guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #119
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
So the market for the car is for all those people who love powerful sports cars, "but not 650hp, Jesus, that's way too much power man!", and who crave the prestige of the Porsche badge, "but not the 911 good sir, that's simply too exclusive for moi".

Alright then, I do believe we've narrowed down the tiny slice of the market that this car is being targeted at. Nice work fellows, I somehow feel like we accomplished something important here today.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #120
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:

Since when is a Cayman the car to be seen in?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #121
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
$167-169000 with only the proper options with steel brakes.I ordered them to be well set up for the track day guys!
I assume you work at a Porsche dealer? Which one?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #122
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You are now officially banned from Bimmerpost too. lol.

I would love to get the GT4. Just the right size.
I think that as M3 owners we should admit that badge prestige matters a bit.

I know we don't want to but....I think it does and I'll admit it. I used to drive a W8 Passat that, for the money, was a ridiculous killer deal. It was great. But I'd be lying if I said I never thought 'its great, but its no 5-series/Audi/Benz 8 cylinder....' I mean, these are material possessions, we are spending lots of resources on them so, presumably, there is some degree of artificial materiality in the value we place on them.

With that as a disclaimer off the top, there are images and 'brand' cachet's associated with different cars (its why 'branding' is 99% of what marketing really is - selling the image, the sizzle not the steak, etc). It doesn't mean we all perceive the brand the same way (its why there are different marketing campaigns and approaches, some things register with some folks, different things register with different folks) but over time and exposure, a brand image will form and you will view the subject of the brand through that lens - for better or worse.

The 911 has a clear brand/image in my mind. So does the Mustang, the Corvette and, for that matter, the M3 and a whole lot of other cars that have been around for a while. One of those images I can fit myself into, the others...I can't. or don't want to....which is close enough to the same thing in this case.

One of the things I like about the Cayman is that it doesn't carry a lot of pre-conceived brand/image for me because it isn't a 911 which is clearly defined in my mind. Its a bit more 'empty canvas' that can be appreciated on its own for itself.

Anyway, that was WAY too serious a response to your point.

On to more fun topics:

Quote:
How is your M3?
Loving every minute I spend in it.

Sadly, I haven't been able to spend enough of those minutes in it as we've been travelling out of town every bloody weekend (taking the wagon cause I am not ready to subject it to the fist sized 'gravel' they put down on Alberta highways) so I've been forced to resort to trying to get in my break in miles by driving to and from work - which, for me, is a shade under 8 km. round trip. so....yeah, that is a death by 1000 paper cuts and is taking a little while (should officially roll over 1000 km today so...getting there).

When I've had time on the few weekends we've been in town, I've done a few good drives in it (did the ring road once...well, the 3/4 of it that exists plus some crowchild/14th/Anderson/macleod filling in the gaps) and also did the Highway 1->Bragg Creek->Millarville->Highway 22->38th St SW loop once (that was lots of fun - especially when the guy in the X5 tried to keep up with/push me....those bends didn't look like a lot of fun for him and eventually he just dropped waaaay back).

Should have the break in all done by mid-March, then can change over the tires in mid-April and then start to really have some fun.

Have decided I'm definitely gonna need to step up my radar detector game though. Already got one photo ticket.
      02-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #123
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
[/B]

Since when is a Cayman the car to be seen in?
Since last gen came out? Where have you been?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #124
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
I assume you work at a Porsche dealer? Which one?
Nope a Leasing Company in Oakville.

www.mvlleasing.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #125
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

i could buy a base gt4 w/ nothing or wait a few years for used market

Base: $84,600
Equipment: $18,165
Destination: $995
Total: $103,760

Color:
Agate Grey
Black Interior W/ Red Stitching

Exterior:
Bi Xenon Headlights
Auto-Dim Mirror

Performance:
Extended Fuel Tank
Sport Chrono

Interior:
Light Deisgn
2 Zone Climate
Full Bucket Seats
Carbon Fiber Package W/ Center Console

Audio:
Sirius W/ HD Radio
PCM W/ Navigation
      02-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #126
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
I think that as M3 owners we should admit that badge prestige matters a bit.

I know we don't want to but....I think it does and I'll admit it. I used to drive a W8 Passat that, for the money, was a ridiculous killer deal. It was great. But I'd be lying if I said I never thought 'its great, but its no 5-series/Audi/Benz 8 cylinder....' I mean, these are material possessions, we are spending lots of resources on them so, presumably, there is some degree of artificial materiality in the value we place on them.

With that as a disclaimer off the top, there are images and 'brand' cachet's associated with different cars (its why 'branding' is 99% of what marketing really is - selling the image, the sizzle not the steak, etc). It doesn't mean we all perceive the brand the same way (its why there are different marketing campaigns and approaches, some things register with some folks, different things register with different folks) but over time and exposure, a brand image will form and you will view the subject of the brand through that lens - for better or worse.

The 911 has a clear brand/image in my mind. So does the Mustang, the Corvette and, for that matter, the M3 and a whole lot of other cars that have been around for a while. One of those images I can fit myself into, the others...I can't. or don't want to....which is close enough to the same thing in this case.

One of the things I like about the Cayman is that it doesn't carry a lot of pre-conceived brand/image for me because it isn't a 911 which is clearly defined in my mind. Its a bit more 'empty canvas' that can be appreciated on its own for itself.

Anyway, that was WAY too serious a response to your point.

On to more fun topics:

Loving every minute I spend in it.

Sadly, I haven't been able to spend enough of those minutes in it as we've been travelling out of town every bloody weekend (taking the wagon cause I am not ready to subject it to the fist sized 'gravel' they put down on Alberta highways) so I've been forced to resort to trying to get in my break in miles by driving to and from work - which, for me, is a shade under 8 km. round trip. so....yeah, that is a death by 1000 paper cuts and is taking a little while (should officially roll over 1000 km today so...getting there).

When I've had time on the few weekends we've been in town, I've done a few good drives in it (did the ring road once...well, the 3/4 of it that exists plus some crowchild/14th/Anderson/macleod filling in the gaps) and also did the Highway 1->Bragg Creek->Millarville->Highway 22->38th St SW loop once (that was lots of fun - especially when the guy in the X5 tried to keep up with/push me....those bends didn't look like a lot of fun for him and eventually he just dropped waaaay back).

Should have the break in all done by mid-March, then can change over the tires in mid-April and then start to really have some fun.

Have decided I'm definitely gonna need to step up my radar detector game though. Already got one photo ticket.
I admit I am a "brand" kind of person only on certain things (obviously cars is one). I buy cars mostly based on the brand name. Not that mainstream brands are bad it is just my own personal choice.

I installed a JB4 in the M4 last weekend and took it out for a quick spin. Big difference compared to stock. I think we should round up some of the Calgary owners and have a meet and greet. I would love to meet everyone. Probably May?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #127
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
the Cayman GT4 will be just like the 1M---it will NOT depreciate. Either buy one now or forever hold your peace! or get ready to pay the same price or more in 2, 3, 4, or 5 years!

By most accounts this will be limited production and/or 'made to order'. It won't depreciate.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #128
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I admit I am a "brand" kind of person only on certain things (obviously cars is one). I buy cars mostly based on the brand name. Not that mainstream brands are bad it is just my own personal choice.

I installed a JB4 in the M4 last weekend and took it out for a quick spin. Big difference compared to stock. I think we should round up some of the Calgary owners and have a meet and greet. I would love to meet everyone. Probably May?
That timing would make sense. I mean, much fun as a 'who has the saltiest/most crud-covered car' contest would be.....May might be more pleasant.
      02-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #129
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Similar to the previous Boxster Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #130
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the Cayman GT4 will be just like the 1M---it will NOT depreciate. Either buy one now or forever hold your peace! or get ready to pay the same price or more in 2, 3, 4, or 5 years!

By most accounts this will be limited production and/or 'made to order'. It won't depreciate.
This is the sentiment surrounding the GT4. It will certainly hold its value well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #131
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Since last gen came out? Where have you been?
c'mon now
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #132
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
This looks great and is probably extremely fun to drive.

I don't think that I could ultimately choose this over a Z06 for my $85k though. I am addicted to lighting quick shifts now, so an MT just won't cut it, and you just cannot beat the value of the Z06 over all.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/03/p...t3-components/
What a tough call having to choose between the Z06 and this GT4. I've never loved the Corvette but this last model is nearly perfect. As far as the Cayman goes I would absolutely take this over a base 911. But just because it starts at 84K doesn't mean you'll be able to find one at that price point. My guess is more than half the models sold will be $100K +.

Car enthusiasts have so many great and somewhat affordable options these days. We are truly in the best years of automotive choices. Hard part is picking one!