M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Considering Buying A Used M850ix - Would Appreciate Your Thoughts

02-17-2024, 04:30 PM   #1
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Considering Buying A Used M850ix - Would Appreciate Your Thoughts

As the title says, I find myself considering the possible purchase of an M850ix. Let me give you a little background. I am a longtime BMW lover, and have owned quite a few over the years. That would include a 1999 M3, a 2006 M3, a 2009 335ix, a 2014 M235ix, and a 2021 BMW X3 m40i.

I was recently pushed into an unexpected early retirement due to outsourcing. Now that I find myself on a fixed income, and missing a number of years of expected income, my financial situation does not allow the purchase of what I would ideally want. Given that, as I currently do not own a BMW vehicle, and given my long attachment to the brand, I would like to add a final, lightly used, high performance BMW model to my garage. Max expenditure is $60k, and a bit less would be better.

Given that the car must have AWD due to the yearly snow season where I live, that essentially leaves only a used (probably 2019) M850ix as an available option. An used M4 with x drive would be outstanding, but is far too expensive, used, and damned rare, at that.

I've never driven an M850. I love the look of the car, and all the standard equipment. My initial thoughts are that it may be a bit too large and heavy for my preferences? But again, I really don't seem to have any other BMW options and have no interest in an SUV.

I would greatly appreciate your input, thoughts and perspectives on this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:35 AM   #2
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
I don't think you will get a "lightly used" 850 ix for $60K.

When I do a search, the mid/high 60Ks gives you a car with 20-30K miles.

The 850 is an awesome car; looks special and drives great. I was a lifelong M5 driver till the bastard dealer gave me a 8 series loaner. Now I drive a M8
crabman213.00
TupperBMW994.00
      02-18-2024, 07:50 AM   #3
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Get an M850. You’ll love the car
Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5886.00
snowbimmer5210.50
TupperBMW994.00
      02-18-2024, 10:04 AM   #4
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyan92 View Post
I don't think you will get a "lightly used" 850 ix for $60K.

When I do a search, the mid/high 60Ks gives you a car with 20-30K miles.

The 850 is an awesome car; looks special and drives great. I was a lifelong M5 driver till the bastard dealer gave me a 8 series loaner. Now I drive a M8
Thanks for your thoughts. And congrats on owning an M8, stunning and amazing vehicle. As far as pricing, lightly used, is, of course, relative. While pricing is quite widely spread, with a lot of looking, I've been finding occasional 2019's with mileage in the low twenties for $52-55k. Even at, say 25k miles, thats only 4-5k miles a year from taking delivery.

Last edited by TWO-BMW; 02-18-2024 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 02:06 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Get an M850. You’ll love the car
I second this motion. M850 is a terrific vehicle.

How long do you plan to keep it? Any plans to purchase mechanical breakdown policy?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I second this motion. M850 is a terrific vehicle.

How long do you plan to keep it? Any plans to purchase mechanical breakdown policy?
I would be planning on keeping it for quite some time. Five years or longer. And yes, I've learned that its wise to purchase a mechanical breakdown policy. Any recommendations for BMW's like this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:52 PM   #7
GB5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i XDrive - 2-door Coupe

We have quite a bit in common. I too, am from Michigan, and "suffered" a similar fate, with regard to my career position, not to mention a divorce, for good measure. The difference, however, is that at 75, my exit occurred well over a decade ago. And.. after some "scrambling," I nearly recovered -but- not quite in the manner to which I had earlier aspired.

Having said that, perhaps you might consider taking the same road I did, with regard to obtaining a reasonably affordable BMW 8-series auto that you find appealing.

I accomplished this by forgoing a much higher mileage M850i, and set my sights on a much lower mileage, but nearly identical looking, 840i XDrive 2-door coupe'

Obviously, it's not even nearly as quick as it's more powerful 850 sibling, the 840i is quite spirited, it's B58 engine highly responsive to a tune, so as to make it "very spirited," and, in every other respect - virtually, the same car.

Mine, a well optioned 2020, with under 8k miles, coupled with an untraceable JB+ piggyback tuner connected makes just under 400 HP, with a noticeable increase in torque, over factory stock. It is quite sufficient in providing the BMW 8-series experience, albeit with a bit less power - an excellent compromise, in my humble opinion.

I paid $53K for the car (just over $56K "all in,) and could hardly be happier.

Here's hoping that this response might at least, provide some "food for thought !!"

Good luck, my friend....and,

My very best regards,

GB5 - (my friends call me Gary.)
Appreciate 3
RJC-11289.50
Seaford1147.50
      02-24-2024, 06:23 AM   #8
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

4.4 V8 ...normally known as stress free engine . But who owns the car and how its driven is different. If you can find one that's been well maintained and cared for , you should be OK. How many of us drivers have owned a brand new car ? ?
You could do worse and buy a FORD with 80 miles and it could be fine .
If at all possible, get an oil analysis to make sure engine not worn . 20 ...30 k should not be .
Electronic stuff too. If possible , don't buy such a car privately owned ..May cost more at dealer , but you'd get warranty for 12 months.

Great car. Live your dream and enjoy yourself.
NO CAR IS bullet proof.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2024, 07:15 AM   #9
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Man, to the OP:

You came to the RIGHT place! As I and others have discussed here, the M850i, to my lament, is a depreciation MONSTER

And it's too bad, because it's not a bad car. I am confident that this car with its newish N63TU that BMW spent many years and revisions on will be very solid and reliable as long as it's maintained.

It's also very attractive and well built. Problem is, in the NA market it just doesn't sell well due to poor demand.

So my loss is your win. I don't think you can get one for $60k unless you're looking at one with about 20k miles on it, and perhaps a 2022 model or older. But that's still with 2 years left of warranty. If you find one that is clean and was well maintained, I think it's a great car. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 11:36 PM   #10
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB5 View Post
We have quite a bit in common. I too, am from Michigan, and "suffered" a similar fate, with regard to my career position, not to mention a divorce, for good measure. The difference, however, is that at 75, my exit occurred well over a decade ago. And.. after some "scrambling," I nearly recovered -but- not quite in the manner to which I had earlier aspired.

Having said that, perhaps you might consider taking the same road I did, with regard to obtaining a reasonably affordable BMW 8-series auto that you find appealing.

I accomplished this by forgoing a much higher mileage M850i, and set my sights on a much lower mileage, but nearly identical looking, 840i XDrive 2-door coupe'

Obviously, it's not even nearly as quick as it's more powerful 850 sibling, the 840i is quite spirited, it's B58 engine highly responsive to a tune, so as to make it "very spirited," and, in every other respect - virtually, the same car.

Mine, a well optioned 2020, with under 8k miles, coupled with an untraceable JB+ piggyback tuner connected makes just under 400 HP, with a noticeable increase in torque, over factory stock. It is quite sufficient in providing the BMW 8-series experience, albeit with a bit less power - an excellent compromise, in my humble opinion.

I paid $53K for the car (just over $56K "all in,) and could hardly be happier.

Here's hoping that this response might at least, provide some "food for thought !!"

Good luck, my friend....and,

My very best regards,

GB5 - (my friends call me Gary.)
Gary, thanks for your thoughts on this. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:42 PM   #11
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Man, to the OP:

You came to the RIGHT place! As I and others have discussed here, the M850i, to my lament, is a depreciation MONSTER

And it's too bad, because it's not a bad car. I am confident that this car with its newish N63TU that BMW spent many years and revisions on will be very solid and reliable as long as it's maintained.

It's also very attractive and well built. Problem is, in the NA market it just doesn't sell well due to poor demand.

So my loss is your win. I don't think you can get one for $60k unless you're looking at one with about 20k miles on it, and perhaps a 2022 model or older. But that's still with 2 years left of warranty. If you find one that is clean and was well maintained, I think it's a great car. Good luck!
Why these cars depreciate so incredibly is a complete mystery. They have always been well reviewed since appearing in 2018. I'm aware of no issues that plague them, but the benefit is that you can purchase one at an incredible discount.

With my max, $60k budget, I won't, as you noted, be able to grab one new enough to have warranty left. However, I have already seen a number of well maintained, desirable 2019's, mileage in the teens, selling in the $53-58k range. But yes, the no warranty thing is a bit of a concern, still. An extended warranty for, say, 5-6 years is serious money, on top of the car purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 09:15 AM   #12
abstinent
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i GC Xdrive M-Paket

850 engine and sport seats

Hi guys,
I am a long time owner of 640 GC and considering replacement for 850 GC not a new one. Definitely after facelift in 2022 but does anyone know if there has been any other upgrade since 22? When did the mild hybrid engine occur? and secondly the sport seats are standard but there is also a M Sport seats option which look pretty much the same only with the logo (emblem) on it. Thank you so much for your feedback! cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 06:33 PM   #13
PresM850i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Garage List
OP comments on the weight of the 8 series. Although it is heavy, it feels much lighter. Not a Miata, MG-TC or the like by any means, but BMW has done a fantastic job of making it feel light except at the extreme edge of the envelope. I feel more comfortable on my most fun, twisty road than for my previous 4er.

BMW is good at this stuff, but the inclusion of rear wheel steering is certainly a big contributor to this perception. For me, it was one important consideration in respect to the M8, as I park mostly in underground garages. I would add that differential contributes some to this, as it contributes to the rotation exiting a curve in a compelling way.

You have to drive before buy, but, in advance, find a twisty road to try it on, and see how it feels to you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:36 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
As others have called out, the M850i doesn't drive like the size of a boat it is. The rear wheel steering helps with that and the engine is just endless gobs of power. Granted my 2020 (delivered in December of 2019) only has ~15K miles on it outside of standard oil changes plus some new rubber I've probably have spent about $3K post the 3-years of the first oil changes free under Ultimate Care. The vast majority of that was the new rubber at about 10K miles.

My brakes should be good for at least another 10K miles based on the tech's readout for my service last November. So the biggest ticket item on a used with 25K or more miles would be the brake job if everything else on the car is solid. An indie shop can do the brakes cheaper but a dealer is ~$3K+.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 08:14 AM   #15
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
I'm at 35,000 miles with 7mm still.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 12:25 AM   #16
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
As others have called out, the M850i doesn't drive like the size of a boat it is. The rear wheel steering helps with that and the engine is just endless gobs of power. Granted my 2020 (delivered in December of 2019) only has ~15K miles on it outside of standard oil changes plus some new rubber I've probably have spent about $3K post the 3-years of the first oil changes free under Ultimate Care. The vast majority of that was the new rubber at about 10K miles.

My brakes should be good for at least another 10K miles based on the tech's readout for my service last November. So the biggest ticket item on a used with 25K or more miles would be the brake job if everything else on the car is solid. An indie shop can do the brakes cheaper but a dealer is ~$3K+.
Thanks for the heads up on when to expect a brake job. I'm hoping to find a car in the mid to high teens, which would at least give me a bit longer.

So you needed to replace tires prior to 15k miles? What was the brand and model of the OEM tires on yours?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 04:27 AM   #17
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
As the title says, I find myself considering the possible purchase of an M850ix. Let me give you a little background. I am a longtime BMW lover, and have owned quite a few over the years. That would include a 1999 M3, a 2006 M3, a 2009 335ix, a 2014 M235ix, and a 2021 BMW X3 m40i.

I was recently pushed into an unexpected early retirement due to outsourcing. Now that I find myself on a fixed income, and missing a number of years of expected income, my financial situation does not allow the purchase of what I would ideally want. Given that, as I currently do not own a BMW vehicle, and given my long attachment to the brand, I would like to add a final, lightly used, high performance BMW model to my garage. Max expenditure is $60k, and a bit less would be better.

Given that the car must have AWD due to the yearly snow season where I live, that essentially leaves only a used (probably 2019) M850ix as an available option. An used M4 with x drive would be outstanding, but is far too expensive, used, and damned rare, at that.

I've never driven an M850. I love the look of the car, and all the standard equipment. My initial thoughts are that it may be a bit too large and heavy for my preferences? But again, I really don't seem to have any other BMW options and have no interest in an SUV.

I would greatly appreciate your input, thoughts and perspectives on this. Thanks.
As someone else has mentioned you might want to consider the 840i as well….way more than enough power in the real world and a more economical option.

I am very, very happy with my 840i GC!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on when to expect a brake job. I'm hoping to find a car in the mid to high teens, which would at least give me a bit longer.

So you needed to replace tires prior to 15k miles? What was the brand and model of the OEM tires on yours?
My 2020 came with Pirelli Pzero 4s and the tire tread looked fine when facing from the front or rear tires. What I could not see is the inner tire wear on the front that made them a dangerous situation to drive. There's a long thread on 8-series camber settings and the tech ensured me it was in spec so the inner tire tread wear was expected. I would have called out BS if it wasn't for the thread by our UK brethren complaining about the Bridgestone OEMs for that region being obliveratted by the camber in much lower mileage.

I just had the Pzeros replaced for like (including the star insignia which from my understanding made specifically to BMW's specs). The next go around will likely be Michelin Sport 4s based on forum recommendations for ride/performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:41 PM   #19
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
My 2020 came with Pirelli Pzero 4s and the tire tread looked fine when facing from the front or rear tires. What I could not see is the inner tire wear on the front that made them a dangerous situation to drive. There's a long thread on 8-series camber settings and the tech ensured me it was in spec so the inner tire tread wear was expected. I would have called out BS if it wasn't for the thread by our UK brethren complaining about the Bridgestone OEMs for that region being obliveratted by the camber in much lower mileage.

I just had the Pzeros replaced for like (including the star insignia which from my understanding made specifically to BMW's specs). The next go around will likely be Michelin Sport 4s based on forum recommendations for ride/performance.
So the correct, stock camber settings of the 8 series specifically causes early wear on inner tire tread, apparently regardless of tire brand/model???

Oh, and I can personally vouch for the P4s tires. I've had them on three cars. Outstanding product. And, in my mind (and that of many reviewers and owners) the ultimate street sport tire. Sure Cup 2's have more grip, but those are track tires that either fools or people with unlimited bank accounts put on a car for the street.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2024, 07:55 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the correct, stock camber settings of the 8 series specifically causes early wear on inner tire tread, apparently regardless of tire brand/model???
Yes as from my awareness. There have been issues with inner sidewall tread due to alignment but my SA always has the tech check alignment and if out of spec let me know as that's a per charge item vs what was covered under Ultimate Care. Never an issue on alignment but just like others inner tire wear on the fronts nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:33 PM   #21
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

So you're saying alignment is not covered under Ultimate Care?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:13 PM   #22
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

@two-bmw, you’re in an 8 series forum, so you probably will not get too many haters! Having said that, trust us, the 850 is special! That twin turbo V8 is just plain fun.

Now the more important question: “does not allow the purchase of what I would ideally want.” Which is….?? I can’t wait to find out!
Appreciate 0