M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Missing Engine Sound Setting

01-29-2024, 07:15 PM   #1
rickyr17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i Vert (G14)

Garage List
Missing Engine Sound Setting

I seem to be missing the Sporty Engine Sound setting in my 24 M850 G14. Is this something BMW has removed? Is there something I need to do to get it back? I've removed the ASD fuse 218 but I doubt that's related because the setting was missing before I removed the fuse. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 03:09 AM   #2
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr17 View Post
I seem to be missing the Sporty Engine Sound setting in my 24 M850 G14. Is this something BMW has removed? Is there something I need to do to get it back? I've removed the ASD fuse 218 but I doubt that's related because the setting was missing before I removed the fuse. Thanks.
I thought this function only available for diesel and 840i? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:17 AM   #3
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

What version of software does your car have? I still have the feature and love the sporty sound all the time.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:41 PM   #4
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
I thought this function only available for diesel and 840i? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't know. I thought it was on the 850 too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:42 PM   #5
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
What version of software does your car have? I still have the feature and love the sporty sound all the time.
11/2023.20
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #6
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Most likely BMW removed this feature with this update. I guess I will not be updating my car with this update!

Quote:
11/2023.20
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:29 PM   #7
jeezz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

wonder if it's possible to reenable the option with coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 01:04 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Most likely BMW removed this feature with this update. I guess I will not be updating my car with this update!
Guessing so as it's still on my 07/2023 on my M850i.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 01:23 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With pulling 218 the ASD is defeated completely in the cabin. But as I tested and others the setting does impact the actual exhaust most likely through the ECU tuning for the various driving modes. For example in my testing even with the car in Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus and steering on Sport) and set to reduced it literally turned the car into Comfort mode from an ECU/exhaust perspective.

I haven't pulled the fuse as ironically the wife gets a kick out of ASD when in the car with me. I just leave it on depends on driving mode with the flaps permanently open via pulling the fuse. For starts while in the car just press Sport (goes immediately to last mode used, i.e. Sport Individual) and it's a pretty glorious cold start. Remote starts default to Comfort but that's not an issue for it's need but through Bimmercode you can set the default mode if desired.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 04:56 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
As an experiment I pulled 218 today for some testing this upcoming weekend/week. My guess though is that if I go to reduced in the settings it still may likely impact the ECU settings for the current drive mode but the interior fabrication sound should be completely gone.

rickyr17 as a FYI a search on Bimmercode's capabilities turned up basically on/off vs any way to code specific options, e.g., in your case bring back "sporty". Esys as always has more capabilities but I didn't dig too far into those threads.

What was somewhat amusing is I had a hit for Bimmercode and ASD on the G series forum. The OP claimed that with disabling ASD on his M440i all the burbles were gone. Well, that may be the case for that as likely all fabricated vs on an 8-series M850i/M8 they are not fabricated but true exhaust.

The M850i was running while I pulled 218 after coming home from an errand as I just wanted to make sure no issues. For grins I did a rev while parked in the garage (Sport Individual and ASD in iD7 on my default depends on drive mode) and it was the usual pops and loud as hell bangs through 3K to 4K RPMs. 👍
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 05:43 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
So the verdict is in and 218 is never seeing the light of day ever on the M850i. In all honesty I thought I may have pulled the wrong fuse as the true engine sound plus exhaust is now louder than ever in the car. In reality it just turns out that the fabricated ASD is a complete disservice to the car. Sure may be great for the mini M's in the 3 series, 4 series and 5 series but on the M850i a total debacle.

Granted I had already pulled 203 (with the flaps open) so cold starts and everything else was already more aggressive. What I didn't know is that ASD overwhelms the true exhaust sound with its fabricated garbage. I always have the B&W at 40% or greater which drowns out the ASD and could hear the real exhaust. But no ASD? Wow. 👍

As expected though, even with 218 pulled and putting the "engine sound" in reduced it still impacts the car via ECU fuel mixture. My previous testing was done with the flaps still active so that literally squelched the car. But with the flaps open it just changes the fuel mixture so there are less gurgles/pops/bangs but one can still hear the true exhaust as otherwise it closes the flaps as well.

I tested reduced several times just to ensure it wasn't a situational experience on downshifts, etc. Nope "depends on drive mode" with the M850i in Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus) is absolutely glorious. Sporty would likely be the equivalent but who's F'ing around with already pure magic.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 05:54 PM   #12
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

[QUOTE=bloozemanAZ;30881900]So the verdict is in and 218 is never seeing the light of day ever on the M850i. In all honesty I thought I may have pulled the wrong fuse as the true engine sound plus exhaust is now louder than ever in the car. In reality it just turns out that the fabricated ASD is a complete disservice to the car. Sure may be great for the mini M's in the 3 series, 4 series and 5 series but on the M850i a total debacle.

Granted I had already pulled 203 (with the flaps open) so cold starts and everything else was already more aggressive. What I didn't know is that ASD overwhelms the true exhaust sound with its fabricated garbage. I always have the B&W at 40% or greater which drowns out the ASD and could hear the real exhaust. But no ASD? Wow. 👍

As expected though, even with 218 pulled and putting the "engine sound" in reduced it still impacts the car via ECU fuel mixture. My previous testing was done with the flaps still active so that literally squelched the car. But with the flaps open it just changes the fuel mixture so there are less gurgles/pops/bangs but one can still hear the true exhaust as otherwise it closes the flaps as well.

I tested reduced several times just to ensure it wasn't a situational experience on downshifts, etc. Nope "depends on drive mode" with the M850i in Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus) is absolutely glorious. Sporty would likely be the equivalent but who's F'ing around with already pure magic.

This is helpful - I just got mine in yesterday and of course without a plate toyed with the exhaust settings for an hour im the driveway like a maniac. Mine has sport plus engine sound and when started with individual like you all said - it was great, and louder than our outgoing M6GC with the valves clamped open - I was pleasantly surprised as I am not an aftermarket exhaust guy but appreciate the cold start. And the M6 had no burbles, this definitely did which was awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:09 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=mikerx5;30881943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
So the verdict is in and 218 is never seeing the light of day ever on the M850i. In all honesty I thought I may have pulled the wrong fuse as the true engine sound plus exhaust is now louder than ever in the car. In reality it just turns out that the fabricated ASD is a complete disservice to the car. Sure may be great for the mini M's in the 3 series, 4 series and 5 series but on the M850i a total debacle.

This is helpful - I just got mine in yesterday and of course without a plate toyed with the [...]
You'll want to follow the instructions in the following post.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2010417
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=mikerx5;30881943]
Quote:
This is really good to know. Thank you. It's good to know I'm not missing out with the "Sporty" setting missing. I'm yet to try pulling 203 with flaps open. I guess I need a helper for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:35 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is really good to know. Thank you. It's good to know I'm not missing out with the "Sporty" setting missing. I'm yet to try pulling 203 with flaps open. I guess I need a helper for that.
I did it solo. Just start the car or take it for a spin on Sport Plus, etc. and you can see if the valves are open. Then just pull 203. It's a bit tricky only because that fuse bank is mostly empty but the diagram in the car calls it out. Just need to count the empty spaces. 👍
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 12:13 AM   #16
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Great post.
Sorry for my ignorance, but new 2020 M8 owner here.
So pulling the 203 & 218 fuses, in trunk, right side, fuse box, will give me better burble engine sound?
Does anyone have detailed instructions or youtube video link on how to do this, so I won't screw it up...?
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:34 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
Great post.
Sorry for my ignorance, but new 2020 M8 owner here.
So pulling the 203 & 218 fuses, in trunk, right side, fuse box, will give me better burble engine sound?
Does anyone have detailed instructions or youtube video link on how to do this, so I won't screw it up...?
Thanks,
218 is the same on a M8. The only difference is there are two fuses for the flaps vs just the single one (203) in the M850i. On the M8 it's 203 for driver side and 206 for passenger side flaps.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2040016
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #18
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Did anyone update their software to 11.2023.50? My phone downloaded this version today but I cancelled it as I want to make sure if I upgrade it will not remove the Sport Engine start feature from the iDrive menu.

Could someone verify if they upgraded to 11.2023.50 and if they still have the Sport Engine start in the iDrive? Thanks
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW994.00
      02-08-2024, 10:31 AM   #19
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great.
So On the M8 it's 203 for driver side and 206 for passenger side flaps.
The linked post also said that don't pull the fuses until after the engine starts & wait until it warms up to idle to pull the fuses, & not to pull them with the engine off? Is that correct? Or it doesn't matter?
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:43 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
Great.
So On the M8 it's 203 for driver side and 206 for passenger side flaps.
The linked post also said that don't pull the fuses until after the engine starts & wait until it warms up to idle to pull the fuses, & not to pull them with the engine off? Is that correct? Or it doesn't matter?
Thanks,
Apparently regardless of driving mode the car will start with the flaps closed but once the two rev kickdowns are completed they open. I just did it after coming back from a drive in Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus) M button in your case or just do Sport Plus. You need the car running in either scenario as the second you turn it off the flaps close.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 01:00 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did anyone update their software to 11.2023.50? My phone downloaded this version today but I cancelled it as I want to make sure if I upgrade it will not remove the Sport Engine start feature from the iDrive menu.

Could someone verify if they upgraded to 11.2023.50 and if they still have the Sport Engine start in the iDrive? Thanks
Just for clarity are you asking about "Sporty" for the engine sound settings aka ASD or the actual drive mode? The drive mode is completely separate and done via the hard buttons on the console (comfort, sport, eco Pro and adaptive). You can always press the one you want before starting the car (default is comfort) and in my case Sport which remembers the last setting for it or toggles between Sport, Sport Plus or Individual). The other option is via Bimmercode to change the default start to what you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 01:43 PM   #22
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Apparently regardless of driving mode the car will start with the flaps closed but once the two rev kickdowns are completed they open. I just did it after coming back from a drive in Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus) M button in your case or just do Sport Plus. You need the car running in either scenario as the second you turn it off the flaps close.
So best way to do this is:
Start engine
Go to Sport Plus mode (will flaps open automatically, or someone needs to gas it?)
as I pull the 2 fuses, while flaps are open?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0