M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion The Straight Pipes M850 review

03-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
The Straight Pipes M850 review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Luxury sports car or sporty luxury car?
Appreciate 4
GAINZ39.50
clee1982796.00
soooma1373.00
      03-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

These guys are great aren't they
shawnsep121.50
NYAWE60645.00
      03-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
firstbimmernyc
Rep
Drives: M850

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
These guys are great aren't they
Good, funny, honest review. I am really beginning to see why they are calling this car a gentleman's racer.
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
GAINZ39.50
      03-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I agree that these guys are good. I think is good to see as many reviews as you can to get many perspectives on a particular vehicle
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Why does that dude have a neckbeard.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

I don't like xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
shawnsep
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

yea I really like the straight pipes guys. great format and editing. their opinions are often lined up with mine.
      03-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
elbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I like these guys but I enjoy Throttle House reviews even more.
Appreciate 1
Jcon157316.50
      03-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

I liked the car a lot until they showed how similar it is to a mustang. Yikes. Pass. I like mustangs just not for 130k.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

good honest reviews from these guys not typical car journalist horse shit. example: chris harris(always great to watch but hes guilty too) on the bmw m2 n55. When it was new, 'o its the best car bmw makes so nice so fun blah blah'. m2 comp comes out, 'the old car wasnt quite as sharp was slow blah blah'. point is they all put in filler and its very annoying. id rather hear about actual pros and cons than "the steering is not thatttt precise, ferarri def does it better than bmw" type of bullshit.
Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
      03-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
I don't like xDrive
I am more for rear wheel drive and MT but ones I bought F90 M5 I fall in love. The x drive is phenomenal and you can turn it off and be RW only. I know it adds weight but sure nice to have.
For mine track days I will get G80 MT which will be RW
For DD I don't mind AWD for winter times
M 4EVER191.00
      03-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
I don't like xDrive
I am more for rear wheel drive and MT but ones I bought F90 M5 I fall in love. The x drive is phenomenal and you can turn it off and be RW only. I know it adds weight but sure nice to have.
For mine track days I will get G80 MT
I know. M xdrive and 4matic+ on E63s are whole another story. What I hate is regular xdrive permanent all wheel drive. No matter how much bmw say it is rear wheel biased, once the rear lose traction, system sends everything to the front regardless of DSC setting. Therefore, no drifting.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like xDrive
I know. M xdrive and 4matic+ on E63s are whole another story. What I hate is regular xdrive permanent all wheel drive. No matter how much bmw say it is rear wheel biased, once the rear lose traction, system sends everything to the front regardless of DSC setting. Therefore, no drifting.
You mean... "Power sliding", cuz you can't do too much drifting on non-M rwd BMWs either unless u get a legit LSD
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like xDrive
You mean... "Power sliding", cuz you can't do too much drifting on non-M rwd BMWs either unless u get a legit LSD
Yes. Powersliding is still possible on xdrive when in rain but not very dramatic . Very hard on dry pavement if not impossible. The new G20 M340i does have LSD standard and it is the car I want to get this year. But BMW canada is unclear of if bringing it to Canada. I hate them.
Appreciate 2
Igor_M52127.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      03-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #15
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like xDrive
Yes. Powersliding is still possible on xdrive when in rain but not very dramatic . Very hard on dry pavement if not impossible. The new G20 M340i does have LSD standard and it is the car I want to get this year. But BMW canada is unclear of if bringing it to Canada. I hate them.
Can't you just buy one in the states and program it run in Kilometres instead of miles?
      03-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #16
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like xDrive
Can't you just buy one in the states and program it run in Kilometres instead if miles?
I can't. I have to lease
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:26 AM   #17
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I subscribe to their channel. However they are somehow becoming boring to me. Maybe I am partial, but they do seem to prefer Mercedes benz cars to BMW cars usually based on look and luxury

Unlike throttle house that their conclusions are usually based more on how how a car drives
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #18
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

yeah yeah blah blah but what's the dougscore ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Love these guys. Good honest reviews and they keep it lively and interesting. Plus they don't take themselves too seriously and it's edited down perfectly so you don't get bored.

They are pretty spot on about the 8. Good, not great. And if you are going to pay that much for a car, you'd want it to be more luxurious or a better sports car. But they didn't rip into it.

If I had that much money, I'd consider one as a show off car, but just because I'm a "BMW guy". Like them, I'd have a M2C first any day.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #20
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain View Post
good honest reviews from these guys not typical car journalist horse shit. example: chris harris(always great to watch but hes guilty too) on the bmw m2 n55. When it was new, 'o its the best car bmw makes so nice so fun blah blah'. m2 comp comes out, 'the old car wasnt quite as sharp was slow blah blah'. point is they all put in filler and its very annoying. id rather hear about actual pros and cons than "the steering is not thatttt precise, ferarri def does it better than bmw" type of bullshit.
I agrée. The problem is none of these guys actually track cars so any comments on performance are meaningless and abstract.

Handling to me is reflective of Cornering traction on the inside tires. Handling to the soi pipes and Doug demuro is based on how it feels to turn right at a stop sign.

Really useless reviews unless you want to see the cup holders and interior
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I agrée. The problem is none of these guys actually track cars so any comments on performance are meaningless and abstract.

Handling to me is reflective of Cornering traction on the inside tires. Handling to the soi pipes and Doug demuro is based on how it feels to turn right at a stop sign.

Really useless reviews unless you want to see the cup holders and interior
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #22
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Love these guys. Good honest reviews and they keep it lively and interesting. Plus they don't take themselves too seriously and it's edited down perfectly so you don't get bored.

They are pretty spot on about the 8. Good, not great. And if you are going to pay that much for a car, you'd want it to be more luxurious or a better sports car. But they didn't rip into it.

If I had that much money, I'd consider one as a show off car, but just because I'm a "BMW guy". Like them, I'd have a M2C first any day.
A lot of people are missing the point. This is more of an SL competitor than anything else, regardless of the tiny back seats. This and the SL offer both sportiness and luxury in one package unlike a pure luxury GT (S coupe) or a pure sports car (AMG GT). I totally 'get' the idea behind this 8 series since I drive a 6 series and an SL. This car hits the sweet spot for those that want a sporty cruiser that does everything well.
Appreciate 2
mptpa251.00