M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 Competition reviews

10-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #89
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I held off on a 2019 M850i until the M8/M8C build and pricing guides were available. Ultimately I placed an order for a 2020 M850i which once fully optioned including Individual color, Individual full leather, carbon fiber roof, B&W audio and the full boat of Drivers Assistance packages listed at $126,650. An equivalent M8 listed at $146,645 and M8C at $154,200. For my needs there is no way I can justify the cost differential as although I'm in for the long haul (at least 10 years) I'll gladly put the ~20K (M8) or ~28K (M8C) into a non-depreciating lack of asset.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #90
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Was hoping for better and it seems BMW did this to themselves. They made the M850i such a good car and value that the M8 is hard to justify for $25-30k more. I always prefer the true M car to these M sport or M performance models but it seems BMW held back rather than let loose like it did with the M5 and probably X5M models. I already have my order in and hoping that BMW and the dealer will make me a terrific deal. It seems the M850i should have been the M8 and then just the M8 comp model. Only time and more reviews will see.

Noushy
Exactly why once the M8/M8C coupe ordering/pricing guides hit I chose to order a 2020 M850i. Everybody's needs and desires are different but the M850i fit mine perfectly at ~$20K to ~$28K cheaper and I'm buying for the long haul vs a lease.

Enjoy your M8C when it lands!
Appreciate 1
noushy1650.00
      10-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #91
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post
I was in the market for 3 cars few months ago. M8 Comp Cabrio, AMG GT63 S and 911 GT3. I would've had to wait for the first two but regardless I chose GT3 and I'm glad I did. I know the styles are completely different but they are my favorite from each company. For the price of each, 911 all day. No regrets and I won't lose 50% value in 3 years.

I think BMW's have taken a page from MB book. They seem to be more leasing type of vehicles than ownership. I would rather wait 2-3 years to pick one of these up. Plan on keeping GT3 for the long haul.
Great choice out of the 3 although all too rich for my blood. Catch-22 on my side at 6'6" I've never been able to fit in a 911 so I've had to scratch them off my list (along with major disappointment) long ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #92
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
It looks cool, it's fast, but doesn't seem to have any real world purpose, and for that reason, I'm out.
Not being flippant but what do you mean by real world purpose? A true track car to rule the weekend circuits vs a high performance daily driver to rule the streets during a commute? The real world purpose of any car is transportation from point A to point B and can be satisfied by the hundreds if not thousands of possibilities on the market.
Appreciate 1
noushy1650.00
      10-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #93
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Not being flippant but what do you mean by real world purpose? A true track car to rule the weekend circuits vs a high performance daily driver to rule the streets during a commute? The real world purpose of any car is transportation from point A to point B and can be satisfied by the hundreds if not thousands of possibilities on the market.
Any of the vehicles we are talking about are all essentially toys compared to more practical vehicles like a Toyota Camry. Yes they all can carry 2 passengers easily and they go from A-B but the cost for what you get is ridiculous. Thats the purpose of these vehicles, to enjoy getting from A-B and not just getting there. That is the 'real world purpose'. If I wanted a practical car I would buy a Prius or a Subaru, I want something that is fast, comfortable, attractive, sporty and reliable. I also want something special and engineered by car guys. The ///M is perfect for that, no it is not a perfect vehicle, nor is a 911 or a F8 or Huracan Evo.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:01 PM   #94
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quite an honest review from Auto Express. Also answers the question of paddle response vs. DCT at 4:24.

11-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #95
GHollan921
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quite an honest review from Auto Express. Also answers the question of paddle response vs. DCT at 4:24.

"Wish it sounded better" I hear this over and over again. I get mine in a week and hope I don't need to replace the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #96
mhbrownie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI, BMW 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHollan921 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post

"Wish it sounded better" I hear this over and over again. I get mine in a week and hope I don't need to replace the exhaust.
I am pretty sure these reviews are based on the Portugal press day which likely means they were using the euro exhaust which requires more stringent particulate filtering than the us version.

From what little I have heard from us landed versions it does sound different.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #97
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Keep us posted. I drove the demo and it sounds alright, louder than a M850i. I am sure will become sportier once it breaks in. The pace car has a titanium exhaust with cf tips most likely future M performance part made by Akrapovic. That may be the only real option.

Noushy
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #98
Olsonan
Registered
Rep
Drives: A7 (current), 328i, 911 (past)

M8 Comp vs. M5 Comp...worth it?

I've now driven both 2020's back to back... With the digital cockpit the same as in the M8 and other minor items upgraded in the M5, the interiors are very closely matched. The seats might be slightly better in the M8 and the climate control is a little different but..... I can't justify the added expense. Also the (admittedly weak) massage feature is available in the M5 but not the M8?! To sell a $150K+ (USD) luxury GT without massage is just stupid (something Audi and MB both offer BTW).

I can afford the M8... it just seems like throwing away money. Also why hasn't any legit source actually timed the M8 Comp 0-60 (I did see the Carwow test at like 3.4 or something not great).

Why didn't BMW tweak the HP or find some ways to reduce weight in the M8 so that it is a true top-of-the line model? Seems idiotic to me.

I really wanted the M8 since I saw the first concept but now I'm leaning towards the M5 Comp.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #99
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsonan View Post
I've now driven both 2020's back to back... With the digital cockpit the same as in the M8 and other minor items upgraded in the M5, the interiors are very closely matched. The seats might be slightly better in the M8 and the climate control is a little different but..... I can't justify the added expense. Also the (admittedly weak) massage feature is available in the M5 but not the M8?! To sell a $150K+ (USD) luxury GT without massage is just stupid (something Audi and MB both offer BTW).

I can afford the M8... it just seems like throwing away money. Also why hasn't any legit source actually timed the M8 Comp 0-60 (I did see the Carwow test at like 3.4 or something not great).

Why didn't BMW tweak the HP or find some ways to reduce weight in the M8 so that it is a true top-of-the line model? Seems idiotic to me.

I really wanted the M8 since I saw the first concept but now I'm leaning towards the M5 Comp.

Thoughts?
The informal in car test with BMW factory driver did 0-100 KPH in 2.88 so safe to assume a hard launch is about the same or slightly faster than a M5 comp. expected since most everything else is the same. We will see when more magazines review the car at their own locations.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #100
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

Thoughts?
If you were checking out the M8, sounds like you don't mind 2-doors, so question, how about a new 911?
      11-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #101
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Thoughts?

I tested both also. The M8 was comp but M5 I test wasn’t comp. I felt the M8 response is better and stronger. I truly didn’t feel the weight of the car like I was worried to get. I drove the 850 and it wasn’t as slick and responding in my hand as I liked. It was heavy. Also having both ( M5 & M8) beside each other, the M8 looks much better in and out. And sound better lol

FYI I have M4 convert comp edition currently.
Appreciate 3
      11-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #102
Olsonan
Registered
Rep
Drives: A7 (current), 328i, 911 (past)

Thanks for the feedback everyone... sorry if I am replying wrong.. new to this site.

noushy -I saw the 2.88 as well but for the extra $40K I want something definitively faster. Matt at Carwow did an instrumented run at 3.1(?) in his video review which blows.

joshuastein55 - I like the new 911 a lot but I didn't find it as good as a daily driver. Obviously sits very low but also lacks things like HUD, massage seats, wireless CarPlay, and the Burmester was really not all that impressive relative to the B&Ws in the BMWs (I'm guessing less space for the sub woofers in the 911, IDK, but it sounded weak to me). The ride was a bit stiff even compared to the M5 Comp and there was very significant tire noise. It's still on my list though.

Brain_attack - The M8 Comp vs. the M5 non-Comp - the Comp versions sound (and handle) substantially better. The M5 growled and popped much better than the non-comp M8. Very different. As far as interior appearance... did you test a 2020 M5? As I mentioned they have the same digital cockpit so the only minor differences are the climate control config, shifter, etc.

Trust me, I wanted to buy the M8 but it is so close to the M5 I can't justify the extra nearly $18K over a three year lease. Not to mention the M5 is more practical. An M8 Gran Coupe would be an interesting comparator but you can't even order it yet, and again, it would be mostly aesthetics vs. the M5 given the 2020 upgrades. I still have the AMG GT 4 door 63S on my list and that checks all the boxes (despite being slightly less quick 0-60 than the BMW M5/M8) but that's like $36K more over three years than an M5 Comp. and IDK if it's worth that much more. Still thinking it through but thanks and I'll look out for responses...

Last edited by Olsonan; 11-04-2019 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: added some more info
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #103
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

BMW would probably be happy if M8 sales figures matched the outgoing M6.
Didn't they just take a massive loss of the whole i8 fiasco?

With that being said, I would buy the M8 as I chase GT dreams and replay memories I made recently driving through the desert. I would probably be happier reliving them in the M8 than I would in a GT3, for various reasons, aesthetics being the main one.
Also I don't buy used cars. It's stupid, I know but I just can't.
After all the purchase and delivery (state side or euro) is supposed to be part of the experience.

Finally, some mentioned P cars and McLaren.
It all depends on the lifestyle. I can drive around without being noticed in a M8 where I couldn't show up in a GT3 or 570S without drawing too much attention.

Buy the car that makes you happy within your means, no reason not to since you can only drive one at a time and you only have so many hours of seat time, what's the point of a 4 car garage? uh, @Sedan_Clan ? Now, using that money to buy a second home in the desert to dash to for the weekend.... that makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #104
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

I think this whole 0-60 in 2.8 or 3.0 or 3.1 is arbitrary and makes no sense to select a car this way. All of these vehicles are stupidly fast to any reasonable speed (under 100mph). A lot of the number depends on driver and traction. Warm day with warm tires and AWD produce better numbers than cold asphalt and cold tires. Turbo cars seem to like 40-60 degree weather.

What matters is how it drives, the feel, the comfort, the ease, the use. For me it is a daily driver and my 100 mile round trip commute. BMWs have been mostly great for this. I have an outgoing 911 991 S targa for a weekend test drive and my commute was miserable. Firm and terrible on Michigan freeways. The seats were fine, the visibility great but just not a fun vehicle for long trips on anything that isn't smooth. Also even worse back seat than the 6/8 series. Again not a knock on the car just different strokes for different folks.

Finally the M5 is a fantastic super sedan, and arguably the best currently available as it routinely out performs the E63S and Audi has not released a RS6 here yet. The GT 63s 4 door is sexier but stupidly priced and really a comparison against the M8GC. again it all depends on what you are looking for. I want to go back to a 2 door for my DD because I am the only one in it and I loved having a coupe. I still have a second vehicle (usually a SUV, currently a X3MC but will replace with a X5M). We have other cars as well so I can always take a larger car when needed.

Noushy
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #105
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
I think this whole 0-60 in 2.8 or 3.0 or 3.1 is arbitrary and makes no sense to select a car this way. All of these vehicles are stupidly fast to any reasonable speed (under 100mph). A lot of the number depends on driver and traction. Warm day with warm tires and AWD produce better numbers than cold asphalt and cold tires. Turbo cars seem to like 40-60 degree weather.

What matters is how it drives, the feel, the comfort, the ease, the use. For me it is a daily driver and my 100 mile round trip commute. BMWs have been mostly great for this. I have an outgoing 911 991 S targa for a weekend test drive and my commute was miserable. Firm and terrible on Michigan freeways. The seats were fine, the visibility great but just not a fun vehicle for long trips on anything that isn't smooth. Also even worse back seat than the 6/8 series. Again not a knock on the car just different strokes for different folks.

Finally the M5 is a fantastic super sedan, and arguably the best currently available as it routinely out performs the E63S and Audi has not released a RS6 here yet. The GT 63s 4 door is sexier but stupidly priced and really a comparison against the M8GC. again it all depends on what you are looking for. I want to go back to a 2 door for my DD because I am the only one in it and I loved having a coupe. I still have a second vehicle (usually a SUV, currently a X3MC but will replace with a X5M). We have other cars as well so I can always take a larger car when needed.

Noushy
Appreciate 2
noushy1650.00
      11-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #106
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

Well. As I noted on the other thread, I've driven an M8 before ordering one. Reviews are reviews, the had a car in a controlled environment, I guess even with T/C set to ON. I drove with DSC fully off around the local hills, and it was a blast. Got some reasonable oversteer in 4WD Sport. In terms of handling the car feels equal or slightly better as my F83 (Vert) M4, but it has WAY more comfort and power to it. It is not an absolute track beast that you can buy for the money (i.e. GT3), but I am going to track it a few times a year. And the rest of time, just enjoy the looks, the engine, the interior, the super nice seats etc.

Last edited by DRA; 11-28-2019 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #107
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Russian_American View Post
Well. As I noted on the other thread, I've driven an M8 before ordering one. Reviews are reviews, the had a car in a controlled environment, I guess even with T/C set to ON. I drove with DSC fully off around the local hills, and it was a blast. Got some reasonable oversteer in 4WD Sport. In terms of handling the car feels equal or slightly better as my F83 (Vert) M4, but it has WAY more comfort and power to it. It is not an absolute track beast that you can buy for the money (i.e. GT3), but I am going to track it a few times a year. And the rest of time, just enjoy the looks, the engine, the interior, the super nice seats etc.
Nice review. I have also F83 2017 and I am getting M8 comp. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #108
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Feel free to add more videos as they come

This one is from Auto Express
As everyone knows Steve Sutcliffe with more negative results. Lol

From MotoManTV