M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Is QuickJack safe?

11-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Re: MaxJack.... unless you are a Hobbit, you still have to crouch down or lie down to work on the car. The former is bad for your back.

MaxJack may have the same concrete strength requirements as the 2-post lift. Check mfg requirements.
I don't know. 48" max height on the MaxJax is over double the max height of the QuickJack of 21" max height.

You do have a point about the load requirements of the concrete floor needing to be looked in to.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #46
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I've had mine for about 3yrs now and I find excuses to use it. Yes I have drive-up ramps for quickie oil changes, three floor jacks and about 4 pairs of stands...but this thing is ultimately faster overall. My garage floor is flat, but my driveway isn't...it has a slight angle for water run-off. This still hasn't stopped me from using it outside though.

I initially looked at the MaxJax after using my buddies to install suspension on my X5M, but between my only 9' ceiling height, costing $1900+ and having to do concrete work (I'll save that money for a two post in a different home) I opted for ultimate portability for $1300 after discounts.

To answer questions about why this over traditional jack stands...height and safety. My 740iL has been parked longterm for quite a while and just last week I had to take it off jack stands to move it. Since I can't go from full jackstand height to back on the ground all at once, that meant lowering each corner individually (while worrying about the others as they move/tip ever so slightly) onto its lowest settings, then going back to the beginning and doing it all over again to finally put the car back on the ground. Unfortunately I don't have enough garage depth to jack cars from the front AND back, so it's a side to side dance to get to the height I want.

QuickJack is up 2'+ in 30 seconds. Came in super handy doing downpipes on my X5M when I could raise and lower the car as needed for access vs standing on buckets and/or laying over the plastic fenders. Same for doing an engine swap in the GF's 528iT. Soon I'll be doing an engine swap in the GF's 535xiT. Even with me being 6'4", I'm positive it'd be far more inconvenient doing it on jack stands with how many times it'll be nice to raise and lower the car during the process and/or rolling around on a creeper humping the transmission back on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      11-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #47
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I've had mine for about 3yrs now and I find excuses to use it.
This. Nothing but positive experiences using it on my low Z4MC, 3 series wagon and friend's GTIs.

Quickjacks and a portable impact wrench have meant I tackle projects with ease and often I am back inside the house before the wife can complain.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #48
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

If anyone is looking at getting some quickjacks for their garage, coupon code SEMA2019 is valid thru the 22nd. I just placed my order this morning for the BL-5000SLX. Cant wait! Figured someone here would find this useful.

I have no affiliation with this company or get anything in return. Just helping out my fellow forum members!

Cheers.
      11-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #49
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Ugh, the Quick Jack is like 70% of the way there for me. If it raised the car just a little bit higher I would have bought one a long time ago. The idea is perfect, but the execution leaves me wanting (about 30%) more.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #50
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
I have a large two car garage but my lift height is limited because there is a second story and transverse joists with heating ducts. I have the 7k lb. Bend Pak Quickjack and I find it very useful especially for my low sitting M6. In terms of safety it locks well, but only when my 6 ton stands are in place is there 100% surety. I don’t go under the vehicle without them there. It is not much of an exertion to put them in place.

Add: Otherwise I think it is great, with not much of an otherwise here...
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #51
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Ugh, the Quick Jack is like 70% of the way there for me. If it raised the car just a little bit higher I would have bought one a long time ago. The idea is perfect, but the execution leaves me wanting (about 30%) more.
How high you looking to go though? I'm 6'4" 270lbs (not a skinny kid) and I've got enough room to lay on a creeper and still have been able to do anything from oil changes to suspension swaps to trans swaps to engine swaps. The jack does include 8 rubber blocks (one set is short, the other is tall) that can easily be stacked, but mind you that you need to be able to slide the jack under and still fit the blocks between the jack and lifting points. There's also I-beam shaped lifting pads for truck frames but I didn't need those as you can see from lifting my F150 in the above pics. I'm sure it's not recommended but I've even stacked the shorter blocks up front and taller blocks out back to give myself more room when I needed to slide a trans underneath my X5M.

I used a buddies MaxJax for a suspension swap and while it was great for that being like 5' up, it was awkward for anything underneath...it wasn't tall enough to stand under and was too tall to laydown under, so instead he's put casters on an old BMW seat as a happy medium. The seat was a happy medium but be prepared for tired arms if you're doing anything heavy since you're not laying down but not standing upright and can't use a trans jack or anything of the sort.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 01-08-2020 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5706.00
      01-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #52
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I've had mine for about 3yrs now and I find excuses to use it. Yes I have drive-up ramps for quickie oil changes, three floor jacks and about 4 pairs of stands...but this thing is ultimately faster overall. My garage floor is flat, but my driveway isn't...it has a slight angle for water run-off. This still hasn't stopped me from using it outside though.
This. It is FRIGGIN AWESOME

I've lived in a house with a MaxJack. The only thing that is better for is doing rod bearings and tranny swaps.
For everything else the QuickJack is better. Not on the same universe as jacking the car up with stands, that is suicidal at best.

Some people think it doesn't lift enough, but you want to be on your back and can't have the car so high that you have to fully extend your arms all the time. So it lifts the perfect amount.

On the MaxJack it was a huge pain to not be able to lift the car enough to stand comfortably. I'd end up sitting down working on the car which is not as comfortable as some think it is.
Appreciate 1
m5james429.00
      01-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #53
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Some people think it doesn't lift enough, but you want to be on your back and can't have the car so high that you have to fully extend your arms all the time. So it lifts the perfect amount.

That's correct. Anyone tried changing exhaust systems know how easy and comfortable it is using QuickJack. I cannot fathom with the awkward Maxjack's height. Don't forget underbody fluid changes. The two step heights allow one to drain oil without splashing. To high (maxjack or lift) and you need an extendable drain pan.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00