M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Competition performance build has started - lofty 1200+ WHP goal

10-19-2023, 06:13 PM   #67
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp

Ready to go off to Pure Drivetrain Soltuions for Stage 2 transmission, race converter and transfer case upgrades
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      10-21-2023, 12:02 AM   #68
Genius
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW F90 M5C, e39 M5, E30 M3

I assume going to air-air simplifies things as well as shaves some weight. I know csf intercoolers are heavy af, no need for the heat ecxchangers and all that water/coolant isn’t light either. Any idea of how much weight you are shaving of the front end?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 09:10 AM   #69
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
I assume going to air-air simplifies things as well as shaves some weight. I know csf intercoolers are heavy af, no need for the heat ecxchangers and all that water/coolant isn’t light either. Any idea of how much weight you are shaving of the front end?
There is definitely some total overall weight savings vs original plan to have trunk mounted ice tank. Just the 5 gallon billet tank and liquid (no pump, lines, etc) is over 50lbs. Up front my guess it’s probably a wash. The intercooler core we are using is massive (55lbs without end tanks welded on yet). I’d have to weigh the CSF coolers to see what those are plus the liquid they would have held, it’s probably close.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 01:58 PM   #70
Genius
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW F90 M5C, e39 M5, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradyc5 View Post
There is definitely some total overall weight savings vs original plan to have trunk mounted ice tank. Just the 5 gallon billet tank and liquid (no pump, lines, etc) is over 50lbs. Up front my guess it’s probably a wash. The intercooler core we are using is massive (55lbs without end tanks welded on yet). I’d have to weigh the CSF coolers to see what those are plus the liquid they would have held, it’s probably close.
Wow, that’s a masssive core. The biggest Garrett core is about 30lbs and I think it’s good for at least 1250hp. Who makes the one you’re going with and what are the dimensions? I also noticed that exhaust manifold was revised for the wastgstes rising the turbo mount flanges up some, do the turbos still clear the hood?
Great work so far and I’m glued to your thread…keep up the good work.
I’m taking notes, lol.
Appreciate 1
lude637a415.00
      10-21-2023, 10:31 PM   #71
lude637a
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x7 and M8GC

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, that’s a masssive core. The biggest Garrett core is about 30lbs and I think it’s good for at least 1250hp. Who makes the one you’re going with and what are the dimensions? I also noticed that exhaust manifold was revised for the wastgstes rising the turbo mount flanges up some, do the turbos still clear the hood?
I’m taking notes, lol.
Same. I’m curious as well. I’m literally glued to your thread and look forward to your weekly updates. lol

Literally taking notes on what to do when I reach your stage. 👨‍💻thanks for sharing your journey to all of us here!
Appreciate 1
Genius221.50
      10-22-2023, 04:29 PM   #72
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Ready to go off to Pure Drivetrain Soltuions for Stage 2 transmission, race converter and transfer case upgrades
Not stage 3 mate? I was thinking stage 2 for my mini-beast (upgraded turbo in stock housing so really tame), but now rethinking given what you’re doing. I just didn’t think to pay to have the tranny out and then do a $5k or so upgrade for stage 1.

I’m not so thrilled with stock tranny on the track and have tried everything
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:32 PM   #73
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Curious as to why CSF and not Wagner Tuning? Availability?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #74
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Not stage 3 mate? I was thinking stage 2 for my mini-beast (upgraded turbo in stock housing so really tame), but now rethinking given what you’re doing. I just didn’t think to pay to have the tranny out and then do a $5k or so upgrade for stage 1.

I’m not so thrilled with stock tranny on the track and have tried everything
They said that with my goals their Stage 2 would more than handle everything I plan to throw at it plus some headroom so I never questioned going further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Curious as to why CSF and not Wagner Tuning? Availability?
I’ve never seen someone do a comparison of the two to actually show any differences. It was nothing more than familiarity with CSF and their reputation for building high quality cooling products. Ended up being a $3k “oh we don’t need it anymore” selection.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
      10-23-2023, 09:28 AM   #75
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
I’m taking notes, lol.
It’s a Bell core, either a 20x18x4.5 or a 20x18x6 depending on availability. Yes turbos still clear the hood, just barely but hood closes with everything mounted.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 05:20 PM   #76
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Few minor updates as to where we’re at. Engine is out and disassembled on way to machine shop for getting new rotating assembly balanced and stock valve springs measured up to spec out some new ones. Turbos and all hot side piping out for heat shielding. A2A intercooler fab work underway and the little factory style throttle body inlet flanges we had machined up are ready for welding. This way we can weld intercooler piping directly to flanges instead of using factory plastic coupling and having to clamp to those. Fuel system is basically done as far as modified basket with new pump installed in tank and lines run. Latest round of revisions to port injection manifolds done and another set of 3D prints have been ordered which we will install when the engine is ready to go back in so we can do a final verify on all clearances before we have final design parts produced. Debating on wether we have them CNC’d or 3D printed in Aluminum instead. The custom strut brace/intake tube pieces we designed are being 3D printed in aluminum so we will see how those turn out. On a side effort, i have a pair of rear axles at a shop for hopefully getting an upgraded set made as well as I have a spare drive shaft that is going to another shop for a similar effort. After seeing pic of Mens Motors 8.8 sec M8 GC twisted pretzel driveshaft this will definitely require an upgrade That’s all for now, sorry no sexy pic updates to share.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
KB7120.00
ed41367.50
Holset274.00
Tenac4538.50
      11-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #77
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Progress update… Fab work on A2A intercooler complete. First brace 3D print in aluminum completed matching part for other side printing now. Working with a shop to get a design and build project going on a 18x11 wheel that will replicate the OEM BMW 813M design so I can run a 305/40-18 Mickey Thompson drag radial out back and still have it match front OE wheel look and overall height. I’m planning on running a R888R up front which hopefully will be enough. This is going to require a rear brake setup change to go with something smaller so we’ll dig into that and see what we can come up with. Waiting for updated intake manifold proto prints due in next week. Still working with shops on upgraded rear axles and driveshaft solution. That’s all for now
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
Tenac4538.50
KB7120.00
njfoses290.50
fmzip1649.50
      11-03-2023, 12:06 PM   #78
F30_320D_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D M-Sport

Loving this build, man
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 01:24 PM   #79
R8TTEDR
Rep
Drives: X540i

Interesting, I would think a vertical flow intercooler would be better for this application in terms of how the car is setup from top flow to bottom flow where the intake manifolds are.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #80
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8TTEDR View Post
Interesting, I would think a vertical flow intercooler would be better for this application in terms of how the car is setup from top flow to bottom flow where the intake manifolds are.
I think this configuration and layout is driven by the ability to use the space and open path for routing in the front corners where the now removed stock airboxes were located.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 03:56 PM   #81
R8TTEDR
Rep

Quote:
I think this configuration and layout is driven by the ability to use the space and open path for routing in the front corners where the now removed stock airboxes were located.
Yes, but it will mean you have to merge and split the ends twice and route them across for ins and outs.

I would reconsider this layout as it might be clean and more beneficial for your system. Plus the fact that vertical flow intercoolers need smaller cores for large HP applications. Not trying to knock on what you have now. I'm just very big in fabrication and development just like how you're doing things.

Something like this would be cleaner since you have two inlets and two outlets.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 04:22 PM   #82
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but it will mean you have to merge and split the ends twice and route them across for ins and outs.

I would reconsider this layout as it might be clean and more beneficial for your system. Plus the fact that vertical flow intercoolers need smaller cores for large HP applications. Not trying to knock on what you have now. I'm just very big in fabrication and development just like how you're doing things.

Something like this would be cleaner since you have two inlets and two outlets.

I’ll talk with fabricator when I’m back in the shop next week and see if he considered a vertical flow layout and/or whether there are any routing/mounting limitations that would have prevented this. I’m always open to others input as we are definitely breaking new ground here and there are lot of ways to achieve the end goal 👍🏼
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
MNoob1539.50
      11-03-2023, 05:58 PM   #83
R8TTEDR
Rep

Quote:
I’ll talk with fabricator when I’m back in the shop next week and see if he considered a vertical flow layout and/or whether there are any routing/mounting limitations that would have prevented this. I’m always open to others input as we are definitely breaking new ground here and there are lot of ways to achieve the end goal 👍🏼
Of course! This build is badass and I'm looking forward to its completion.

Here's one of my custom builds so you can see where I'm coming from

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...5-built4l.html
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 09:22 AM   #84
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Of course! This build is badass and I'm looking forward to its completion.

Here's one of my custom builds so you can see where I'm coming from

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...5-built4l.html
Wow man that is a very impressive build and I hopefully don’t have anywhere near the level of issues on the tuning end of things as I am not running a full standalone ECU setup only Motive Reflex for the port injection. You as much as anyone understands the trials on paving new roads with first time one off custom builds. Almost guaranteed to not be perfect on first time around as you learn what parts work and where things can be improved for overall efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:47 PM   #85
R8TTEDR
Rep

Quote:
Wow man that is a very impressive build and I hopefully don’t have anywhere near the level of issues on the tuning end of things as I am not running a full standalone ECU setup only Motive Reflex for the port injection. You as much as anyone understands the trials on paving new roads with first time one off custom builds. Almost guaranteed to not be perfect on first time around as you learn what parts work and where things can be improved for overall efficiency.
Yea, the Motec was basically developed off my car because of all the extra auxiliary sensors that I added to it. Stock ecu stuff is much easier to do. I just hope you don't run into issues with the O2 bank to bank stuff. When we did an F10 M5 build similar to this, we had to make sure the manifold was split like stock for tuning purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:03 PM   #86
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Yea, the Motec was basically developed off my car because of all the extra auxiliary sensors that I added to it. Stock ecu stuff is much easier to do. I just hope you don't run into issues with the O2 bank to bank stuff. When we did an F10 M5 build similar to this, we had to make sure the manifold was split like stock for tuning purposes.
Yeah hopefully the tuning side doesn’t have any obstacles we can’t overcome due to the new manifold setup 🤞🏼

Would’ve been nice if there was a CAN integrated flex fuel solution available like on some of the other platforms but these are all just part of the game in builds like this
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 11:13 PM   #87
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
Ding ding.

Hope your tuner is as experienced as your fabricator seems to be. 🙂

Had a similar run-in with a N63tu Alpina fitted with Vargas S2 S63tu turbos a while back.

Even after making the DMEs remapped to M tables and cross bank mani’s, the o2’s were not having it.

I do wish you a ton of luck though, looking forward to seeing this followed through to the end !
Do you have a link to this post/thread? I'll likely swap in the cross bank manifold when I install hybrid turbos on my m850.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 01:34 AM   #88
R8TTEDR
Rep

Quote:
Yeah hopefully the tuning side doesn’t have any obstacles we can’t overcome due to the new manifold setup ����

Would’ve been nice if there was a CAN integrated flex fuel solution available like on some of the other platforms but these are all just part of the game in builds like this
It's available actually, you can use this. It connects to the ethanol sensor then to Hi/lo Canbus. If you have the serial address for where you want it to go, it can be done. Just need to email Terry@burgertuning.com

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...3c9380c9&_ss=r
Appreciate 1
bbradyc5368.50