M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW European Delivery Program Ending for North American Customers!

05-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #441
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I wonder if there were customer related issues that exacerbated certain circumstances, resulting in those subtle changes that ultimately led to the program's demise.
Full of issues, such as customers flying in to MUC, going to the Welt, then paying the Welt drop off fee for shipping and heading back on a fight just to save the 7%.

BMW NA should sell future ED cars at US market prices with incentives, then charge the customer the ED fee such as the European markets due. If leased, customer is responsible for lease payments during shipping. This would remove the people gaming the system from ED.

Issue would be US customs as I believe BMW NA imports the ED car as used. History of ED programs dates back to the German government sponsoring tourism with the program. People learned how to game the system, wreaked cars during ED knowing the VPC would repair to factory new standards.
Based on that it sounds like BMW customers ruined it for everybody else.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50
      05-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #442
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

For those saying most people won't switch brands, or that if you can afford a P-Car, why even bother, you're missing the point.

The ED experience at Porsche means you're spending $150K+ (Assuming you're not buying a base model 911). I don't have that kind of money. But I do have 2015 to 2017 GT3 money. So when I say this accelerates me going to Porsche, that's 100% the case for alot of enthusiasts in my position. There are a lot of people on this forum who can afford a new $90K M3 or a slightly used GT3 or Turbo S. Those of us who were hanging out waiting to see what the new M3 would look like, who also like to travel, the ED program ending just put a massive nail in the coffin for us. The new M3 looks like ass based on renders, I was purely waiting it out to see if it would grow on me with the intention of taking my wife to Europe for two weeks while driving around my new car. That was probably 50% of the reason I've hung on to seeing what happens with the G80. Now it's gone.

Also, like it or not, the brand is changing. Designs are clearly transitioning to appeasing the consumers in China, RWD and manual are going all but extinct, the line up continues to bloat in stupid ways, as does the overall dimensions of cars. M has been watered down to the point where ever model has a sub-branded M model. The ED program dying is another example that this is not the BMW that a lot of us found synonymous with enthusiast.
Appreciate 6
Ibiza3611.50
MTROIS187.50
MR950.00
scrammer421.50
TXSchnee1316.50
      05-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #443
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

BMW has a right to be profitable, in fact it's the reason they exist: to make money.

Why do we have to shame BMW for doing what is smart for their business? If you want a fantastic road experience in Europe go to the Nordschliefe and whip a Renault Clio around the course for a few hundred euro. That will be far more thrilling that sitting around in traffic outside Munich.
Appreciate 2
ArchJR204.50
scrammer421.50
      05-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #444
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
For those saying most people won't switch brands, or that if you can afford a P-Car, why even bother, you're missing the point.

The ED experience at Porsche means you're spending $150K+ (Assuming you're not buying a base model 911). I don't have that kind of money. But I do have 2015 to 2017 GT3 money. So when I say this accelerates me going to Porsche, that's 100% the case for alot of enthusiasts in my position. There are a lot of people on this forum who can afford a new $90K M3 or a slightly used GT3 or Turbo S. Those of us who were hanging out waiting to see what the new M3 would look like, who also like to travel, the ED program ending just put a massive nail in the coffin for us. The new M3 looks like ass based on renders, I was purely waiting it out to see if it would grow on me with the intention of taking my wife to Europe for two weeks while driving around my new car. That was probably 50% of the reason I've hung on to seeing what happens with the G80. Now it's gone.

Also, like it or not, the brand is changing. Designs are clearly transitioning to appeasing the consumers in China, RWD and manual are going all but extinct, the line up continues to bloat in stupid ways, as does the overall dimensions of cars. M has been watered down to the point where ever model has a sub-branded M model. The ED program dying is another example that this is not the BMW that a lot of us found synonymous with enthusiast.
All of this. Don't forget that Mercedes ED is alive and well. I'm considering a Merc or Volvo SUV for ED when our X3 lease is up (family car).

I've been looking a 991s and even considered a 997 turbo and GTI manual as a daily.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #445
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
BMW has a right to be profitable, in fact it's the reason they exist: to make money.
Agreed that companies need to make a profit, but ED needs to be viewed as a marketing expense. Remember the Pareto 80:20 rule, as the forum members who are either serial leasers, M owners or 7/8 series customers, as it's this small group who drives the majority of BMW AG/BMW NA profits. It's not the 1 series or X1 customer, as BMW is alienating their high value customers. Time will tell if this move will come back to haunt them.

I wouldn't consider ED dead forever, as BMW NA marketing programs are always changing . Watch world wide deliveries fall off a cliff at the Welt, as Europe's recession is going to be very painful, worse than 2008. Europeans will reconsider about spending close to € 1000 for a Welt delivery. The mothership in Munich would then love to have the 500 BMW NA delivery's back per year which customers are spending money in the Welt gift shop, ect. Your removing affluent tourists from the Welt as a result by killing ED.

Personally, I don't see me visiting the Welt ever again, as I would visit in between ED's, getting excited for the next one.
MTROIS187.50
Murf99314114.00
phoenx332.50
      05-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #446
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
All of this. Don't forget that Mercedes ED is alive and well. I'm considering a Merc or Volvo SUV for ED when our X3 lease is up (family car).

I've been looking a 991s and even considered a 997 turbo and GTI manual as a daily.
Aren't Mercedes SUVs all built in Alabama? Not sure how an ED would work for a merc SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #447
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Based on that it sounds like BMW customers ruined it for everybody else.
Right?

My thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #448
paulso
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Aren't Mercedes SUVs all built in Alabama? Not sure how an ED would work for a merc SUV.
Also if you lease a Mercedes, and want to do ED apparently you can only spend a maximum of one month in Europe which will certainly suck for some people. Unfortunately those looking at the c63 will only be able to get the coupe as the sedan is assembled stateside.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #449
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Nope. Here are the vehicles that are available for Mercedes ED. Plenty of SUVs and everything else

https://www.mbusa.com/en/european-de...-program/build

Contrary to popular belief. People in other parts of the world also like SUVS.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #450
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80, 2022 G80m

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. Here are the vehicles that are available for Mercedes ED. Plenty of SUVs and everything else

It's only GLC that is available for ED. The rest of Merc SUVs are assembled in Alabama.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #451
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreudeamFahren18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's only GLC that is available for ED. The rest of Merc SUVs are assembled in Alabama.
GLA and GLC. Either way there are options
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #452
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreudeamFahren18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow my next car is going to be a merc then even though I think their cars are a snooze fest but luxurious
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #453
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
GLA and GLC. Either way there are options
GLA isn't an SUV though. It's a hatchback.

So basically of their SUV offerings GLC and the G wagon are made in Europe and available of ED. GLE and GLS are built in Alabama.
Appreciate 1
MR950.00
      05-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #454
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
Those of us who were hanging out waiting to see what the new M3 would look like, who also like to travel, the ED program ending just put a massive nail in the coffin for us. The new M3 looks like ass based on renders, I was purely waiting it out to see if it would grow on me with the intention of taking my wife to Europe for two weeks while driving around my new car. That was probably 50% of the reason I've hung on to seeing what happens with the G80. Now it's gone.

Same in here. Waited for the new M3, thought that the grille is a joke, then realized is not. Wanted a nice, somewhat modern but loyal to the heritage design elements (corona rings, hofmeister kink, proper grills, no hoodline, etc.).
BMW decided to keep this monstruosity and after that I was reading articles about the chief design “defending” the design. What an idiot that Van Hooydonk is!
But, at this point I wish BMW good luck with this one, I won’t be the joke of my friends or my street and I would not buy something that “will grow on me”. I am tired of “growing on me” acceptance, mediocre design and poor interior design not to mention the permanent decrease of quality in materials like lack of (or plastic covered) rear bench entrance sides, cheap saggy cloth over the panoramic roof or pantyhose covered headliner. Yet, the prices are getting higher.
I want a car that excites me when I am looking at it, that I will feel proud and happy about it, a car that represents my taste, my choice, my character. Accepting something because I am a fan is too big of a stretch for now. I did it in the past but at this point the BMW image is so generic, blended, washed and idiotic, that I can not see why I will spend this kind of cash on a Subaru front and Honda rear vehicle.
The ED killed it for me too. I was ready to push for an ED this year but this global situation screwed it for me. Now, That “must be done” experience is taken away too.
Screw that.
Appreciate 2
MR950.00
goku7173.00
      05-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #455
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
It would be cool if they replaced it with delivery to one of the BMW Performance Tracks in the USA.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #456
Cloudplay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Anglesey Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
No discount and the Porsche HQ isn't nearly as cool as the Welt. Stuttgart is more of a business town too, less stuff to do than Munich and surrounding areas.
For Porsche ED you 100% want to go with Leipzig and drive around on their track for a handful of laps (obviously not with your own new car, but an equivalent model).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #457
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

Why do we have to shame BMW for doing what is smart for their business? If you want a fantastic road experience in Europe go to the Nordschliefe and whip a Renault Clio around the course for a few hundred euro. That will be far more thrilling that sitting around in traffic outside Munich.
Renting a race or track prepped car on the Nordschleife is much more expensive than you make it sound. 10 laps with insurance is over $1,000 - or more, depending on the car you want.

I know because I’ve done it in 2018.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #458
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Renting a race or track prepped car on the Nordschleife is much more expensive than you make it sound. 10 laps with insurance is over $1,000 - or more, depending on the car you want.

I know because I’ve done it in 2018.
Apologies if I tried to make it sound cheap, it isn't, but for people who willingly plop-down thousands of USD dollars for silly M-packages on garden variety, non-LSD-equipped BMW's that have the same motor of a X3.....it's cheap.

(Yes, I have an axe to grind.)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #459
paulso
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:

I like to track my car as often as I can too, but I don't see in any way how you can compare driving around the Nurburgring in a Clio with picking up a brand new car at the Welt and driving it throughout Europe. In 2018 I put over 6000 miles on the car driving through Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and Slovakia, and that was an experience I will never forget. As an example I remember driving the Grossglockner pass just like it was yesterday, and stopping what felt like every 5 minutes to admire the beautiful scenery. I have zero recollection of the last time I tracked my car, and that was not that long ago.

To each their own I suppose, but having done ED before I know which one I would pick given the chance again.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #460
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Late to the commentary party on this one but this is such disappointing news to hear. I'm glad I was able to do my last two cars via Euro delivery (pic from my most recent ED). The 2016 incentive changes definitely killed it along with the unwillingness of the dealers to process them. I was told (pre-2016) that dealers didn't like to handle an ED because it was more paperwork for the same or less money. I'm sure that got only worse since then. I, too,was looking forward to ordering my next car (M2C) and picking it up via ED next year but that's out the window. Maybe it will come back in a few years but I'm not sure I'll want any of their cars by then to be honest.

The bickering that's ensued in this thread is annoying but doesn't surprise me given who the protagonist is. I hate how some members always have to take the devil's advocate/minority side of the argument relentlessly. It makes me not look forward to reading the commentary sometimes because it's too predictable what will end up happening.
Attached Images

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      05-09-2020, 03:30 AM   #461
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

When i found out the news I called up a dealer and got an M2C allocation for ED in September. Might as well go all out for the last time with a BMW. some old timers might know me. I set up group deliveries in 2014 and 2016. Anyone else planning the same? I'm going to throw together my favorite tracks. Its an M car. thats where it belongs. i can get track insurance since BMW seems to be completely off their rocker about what that means any more. Completely disappointed in the brand. This will be my last new BMW unless they bring the program back.
Ibiza3611.50
Fugly M35075.50
      05-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #462
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Late to the commentary party on this one but this is such disappointing news to hear. I'm glad I was able to do my last two cars via Euro delivery (pic from my most recent ED). The 2016 incentive changes definitely killed it along with the unwillingness of the dealers to process them. I was told (pre-2016) that dealers didn't like to handle an ED because it was more paperwork for the same or less money. I'm sure that got only worse since then. I, too,was looking forward to ordering my next car (M2C) and picking it up via ED next year but that's out the window. Maybe it will come back in a few years but I'm not sure I'll want any of their cars by then to be honest.

The bickering that's ensued in this thread is annoying but doesn't surprise me given who the protagonist is. I hate how some members always have to take the devil's advocate/minority side of the argument relentlessly. It makes me not look forward to reading the commentary sometimes because it's too predictable what will end up happening.
....So in short, only one viewpoint should be tolerated? That only sounds reasonable to you because you aren't the minority on this particular issue. The moment you are it becomes a different story altogether. Balance in any discussion is the key to constructive discourse.
Appreciate 0