M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW recommends Shell gas, but it's more expensive than other brands

08-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #243
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
There's nothing better about Shell gas than any other Top Tier-certified brand, objectively. Top Tier *means* that they're using the right detergents and additives that validate the certification.

There's plenty of options out there that don't involve giving your money to the stations that are overcharging you because of brand name only. I encourage you to at least take a look in your immediate 5-minute driving vicinity, I bet you have a Top Tier-certified brand that's significantly cheaper than Shell or Chevron.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #244
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
There's nothing better about Shell gas than any other Top Tier-certified brand, objectively. Top Tier *means* that they're using the right detergents and additives that validate the certification.

There's plenty of options out there that don't involve giving your money to the stations that are overcharging you because of brand name only. I encourage you to at least take a look in your immediate 5-minute driving vicinity, I bet you have a Top Tier-certified brand that's significantly cheaper than Shell or Chevron.
Believe it or not but Chevron is the cheapest gas near me. Filled up there yesterday. It was $5.49 per gallon while Shell was $5.89 per gallon. ARCO was $5.69 per gallon. No Costco near me.
      08-24-2023, 09:59 AM   #245
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Believe it or not but Chevron is the cheapest gas near me. Filled up there yesterday. It was $5.49 per gallon while Shell was $5.89 per gallon. ARCO was $5.69 per gallon. No Costco near me.
Yeah I mean, if that's legitimately your cheapest option, but there's other non-big brand stations that are also Top Tier.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 11:10 AM   #246
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Yeah I mean, if that's legitimately your cheapest option, but there's other non-big brand stations that are also Top Tier.

The only other stations hear me are Mobile and 76. Both are more expensive than Chevron. There are no independent stations except Safeway. I don’t trust Safeway gas.
      08-24-2023, 11:59 AM   #247
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
How?
No aux vapor collection system. If you just drive it without the oil getting to operating temp (to burn off the water vapor) you will get build up on the valves from the water and oil vapor from the crankcase.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #248
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Where did we see that earlier...

I was using QT, and it was good, but now have the shell app and get .5-.35 off. I plan around those locations as they don't recognise Circle K. I wish I could find actual DATA!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #249
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
I have looked in the interwebs and still can't find what fuel is better than others with actual DATA. It can vary slightly from Exxon to Exxon (shell to Shell), definitely state to state. I have heard the same old tired story of "it all comes from the same depo/refinery so it's all the same" BS. There are a lot of refineries around the US and each brand has their own additives they request to be in the "same fuel from the refinery" which does a number of things from cleaning, octane improvers, mileage (ethanol), lubrication, stabilizers, and a lot of others. There is North and South blended fuel for climate and ACN91. It's all confusing. Shell, Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, Sinclair, and Costco are commonly known as the top five. But some Cosco doesn't have 93. One of the big surprises this year was that BP FELL OUT of TT. IF your car has a flash tune in it, E10 is what you want.

Surprisingly Ohio, Nebraska, and Alaska do not have state testing for fuel. Kentucky was one in the past and it was a dumping ground near the borders for fuel from neighboring states that did not make the grade.

I have been a long time user of Shell because it makes a difference and others say the same. Shell is widely known as the best fuel but there are others that were just about as good.

Nor will you ever find it because the information is proprietary. However there are differences between top-tier vs federal minimum and differences in octane. Higher octane gets more additive. Top tier gets more additive across the board.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:10 PM   #250
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
No aux vapor collection system. If you just drive it without the oil getting to operating temp (to burn off the water vapor) you will get build up on the valves from the water and oil vapor from the crankcase.
What's that got to do with the gas you chose?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #251
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
These are direct injection cars. Without an adequate detergent package and no oil vapor collection system, the valves get dirty over time on the backsides and stems. Can bomb the valve train.

Shawn
The quality of the gasoline has no impact on build up at the valves because DI engines do not have fuel washing over the valves.

Now some engines have PFI w/DI inwhich you'd be correct.

However, injectors tips need to remain carbon free. Carbon can build up on shut down because fuel at the hot injector tips just bakes.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:14 PM   #252
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where did we see that earlier...

I was using QT, and it was good, but now have the shell app and get .5-.35 off. I plan around those locations as they don't recognise Circle K. I wish I could find actual DATA!!
I don't see how you get .35c off without doing their weird "pay to get more off" promotional things. QT is consistently more than .35c off for premium than every other big brand around me anyway.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #253
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The quality of the gasoline has no impact on build up at the valves because DI engines do not have fuel washing over the valves.

However, injectors tips need to remain carbon free. Carbon can build up on shut down because fuel at the hot injector tips just bakes.
The buildup can happen on the intake valves.

Quote:
What's that got to do with the gas you chose?
It's literally how the top tier gas certification works. The additives prevent things like he described from happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #254
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
How much are you guys driving where $4-$6 matters? At most, I'm filling up 4 times a month. ~$200-$300 a year is worth the peace of mind.

Shell fuel is all I run, and it's not because BMW says so.
Costco is 10 min away. I save almost $9/tank compared to Shell V-Power 93.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #255
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's literally how the top tier gas certification works. The additives prevent things like he described from happening.
Wth DI there's no fuel wash to keep the valves clean.

PFI allows fuel to wash over the valves which is why they stay clean.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #256
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
How?
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/c...in-gdi-engines

Despite the IDEA that fuel not making it into the crankcase, so it can't help with carbon buildup on GDI engines, both Honda and Volkswagen say BS. Audi outright says the garbage fuel standards we have in the U.S. are directly responsible for all the trouble we have with carbon deposits.

Adequate detergent packages from Top Tier gasoline in the U.S. helps SOME with deposits by going through the crankcase and being volatile in the PCV system. Having done multiple oil analyses on my cars in the past, there is a significant amount of gasoline in many oil crankcases - dependant on car and engine. And if it's crap, of poor quality, it contributes to an oil vapor that can be more problematic, no matter how good your oil is. Cause if you put skanky convenience store gas in your tank into your $100,000 car with $20 per quart oil in it, you get skanky gas into your oil vapor floating around your crankcase.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      08-24-2023, 12:30 PM   #257
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wth DI there's no fuel wash to keep the valves clean.

PFI allows fuel to wash over the valves which is why they stay clean.
There's no wash on the valves, but the valves are still involved in the injected fuel/air mixture, which makes the valves harder to have deposits removed because of the fact there's no fuel wash. That's why Top Tier gas is more important. You don't get the deposits in the first place so there's no need to be concerned about deposits.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #258
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:

As in the above message, Audi and VW say this is not the case. Other manufacturers have avoided DI in the U.S. due to the garbage quality of gasoline we have here.

Do an oil analysis of your own oil and tell me it's 0% gasoline contamination. Gasoline contamination contributes to oil vapor in the crankcase, directly affecting valve stem deposits.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
      08-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #259
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I run Stabil Marine in all my cars from E10 to full E85.

It has nice dose of PEA fuel system cleaners along with corrosion inhibitors.

This helps slow fuel oxidation as well as clean injectors.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #260
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
As in the above message, Audi and VW say this is not the case. Other manufacturers have avoided DI in the U.S. due to the garbage quality of gasoline we have here.

Do an oil analysis of your own oil and tell me it's 0% gasoline contamination. Gasoline contamination contributes to oil vapor in the crankcase, directly affecting valve stem deposits.

Shawn
Whiiiiich is why I made the vapor separator comment earlier. Am I in the conversation? I guess I'm out...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #261
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I run Stabil Marine in all my cars from E10 to full E85.

It has nice dose of PEA fuel system cleaners along with corrosion inhibitors.

This helps slow fuel oxidation as well as clean injectors.
Mmmmm how often?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #262
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Whiiiiich is why I made the vapor separator comment earlier. Am I in the conversation? I guess I'm out...
I just made my direct response. Yours was a one liner. Not incorrect, just wanted to do more.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #263
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Mmmmm how often?
Every tank of gas based on their recommendations.

Stabil Marine only takes 1 oz to treat 10 gallons, so it's somewhat cost effective since you only need to use 1.5oz to treat a full tank.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:51 PM   #264
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's no wash on the valves, but the valves are still involved in the injected fuel/air mixture, which makes the valves harder to have deposits removed because of the fact there's no fuel wash. That's why Top Tier gas is more important. You don't get the deposits in the first place so there's no need to be concerned about deposits.
Deposits are due to oil vapors and combustion by-products via blow-by.

Appreciate 0