M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Roof rack for G16?

12-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
slyboots
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Roof rack for G16?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been considering new sleek BMWs so I came across the 840i Gran Coupe. Man, what a great looking car.

One issue for me that I am not sure about - I’m a big bicyclist and would like to be able to put a roof rack for bikes on the car. Specifically, I’d like to put rails on so that I can attach a Yakima bike rack to it. I do this on my M2 right now.

In looking at images of the G16, and searching for info about it, I cannot come up with any evidence that OEM or aftermarket roof racks fit it. Is this the case? If there are any owners out there, can you please let me know if there are rack attachment points, or if this car is so sleek that it doesn’t stoop to anything so utilitarian?

Other option, I suppose, would be a trunk rack. But mounting a trailer hitch for bikes on this would be like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

What a great car, though. Heartstoppingly beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

There are no points to attach a roof rack, the car can't take a towing hitch (towbar) and the trunk is made from plastic to save weight, so you can't use a Saris Bones type carrier!

I had exactly the same concerns as I like to carry bikes as well. You can use a suction pad type roof rack, as I was advised on this forum. SeaSucker being the most trusted brand. I still went ahead and got an 840i, and just use my other car to carry bikes!

It is a fabulous machine though - I don't regret getting one for a minute...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
slyboots
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
There are no points to attach a roof rack, the car can't take a towing hitch (towbar) and the trunk is made from plastic to save weight, so you can't use a Saris Bones type carrier!

I had exactly the same concerns as I like to carry bikes as well. You can use a suction pad type roof rack, as I was advised on this forum. SeaSucker being the most trusted brand. I still went ahead and got an 840i, and just use my other car to carry bikes!

It is a fabulous machine though - I don't regret getting one for a minute...
Thanks JD! I'm a one-car household so I guess I'm going to have to go with my alternate choice (M550i).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyboots View Post
Thanks JD! I'm a one-car household so I guess I'm going to have to go with my alternate choice (M550i).
You could take a look at the SeaSucker rack, but if you carry bikes all the time them the M550i sounds more sensible. Great engine too!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 05:11 PM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Bit of an old thread revival but I cannot believe the M8 GC doesn't have roof bar fixing points, where the standard 8er GC does. Other M cars with carbon roofs have the fixing points under flaps in the channel covers (like most cars) so it got me thinking, what sits behind the blank channel covers on the M8?

Pulled them up (they just clip off, very easily) and....what do we have here? Oh, it's the standard 8er fixing points!

So I see no reason not to just use a set of 8er GC roof bars and either just remove the covers when they're in use (to access the fixing points) or buy the 8er GC channel covers with flaps.

No idea why on earth did BMW left the fixing points in place and then covered them up with a blank cover.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #6
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyboots View Post
Hi everyone,

I’ve been considering new sleek BMWs so I came across the 840i Gran Coupe. Man, what a great looking car.

One issue for me that I am not sure about - I’m a big bicyclist and would like to be able to put a roof rack for bikes on the car. Specifically, I’d like to put rails on so that I can attach a Yakima bike rack to it. I do this on my M2 right now.

In looking at images of the G16, and searching for info about it, I cannot come up with any evidence that OEM or aftermarket roof racks fit it. Is this the case? If there are any owners out there, can you please let me know if there are rack attachment points, or if this car is so sleek that it doesn’t stoop to anything so utilitarian?

Other option, I suppose, would be a trunk rack. But mounting a trailer hitch for bikes on this would be like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

What a great car, though. Heartstoppingly beautiful.
The glass roof/sunroof GC absolutely 100% has roof rack mounting points.
Appreciate 0