M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Audi A4

01-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
jermc68
Trogdor strikes again!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Arctic Metallic 330i

I had an 05 B5 1/2 A4 and absolutely loved it. It was a 6MT 2.0 quattro and it would trudge through 4 inches of snow with no problems on all season Conti's. No studs/chains needed. We traded it for an SUV for the wife but, man, the newer A4's are so much better looking than the '05's IMO.

I read somewhere that they took the look of the lower door creases from BMW's redesign of their cars and how popular that made them. They just moved the location down to fit with their car.

BMW is where it is at for me for sport's sedan/coupes though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #24
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n0x!de View Post
Indeed it looks very nice, but in my opinion Audi it's just a VW with another badge. And we all know what VW means(Car Of The People). So, my advice, change the adress of your car dealer and buy a 335i. You will be stunned of what that car can do!
Please don't be so ignorant. I think it's hard for some to accept Audi's as quality cars worthy of being another option when it comes to BMW and MB.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
LOL...agree again, even right down to the fact the headlights could be stretched a little...but yeah well done Audi!
Haha, similar tastes I guess . I can tell you're into design.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

I had an '04 A4 3.0 with a 6 speed manual, and sport suspension.

I hated it!!

The engine at redline sounded like it was going to explode, the throws were way too long, the clutch travel was way too long, and I had to wait for the revs to drop before I could shift under hard acceleration. At 11,000 miles it had some pretty bad rattles.

Like I said, I hated it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #27
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post

I hated it!!

The engine at redline sounded like it was going to explode, the throws were way too long, the clutch travel was way too long, and I had to wait for the revs to drop before I could shift under hard acceleration. At 11,000 miles it had some pretty bad rattles.

Like I said, I hated it!
Wait a minute, but your Bimmer has no rattles, the shifter is a short throw and the clutch engages right???
I had rattles at 1000 miles, the throws are too long, and the RPM drops too fast for smooth shifts...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #28
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Well, the Audi and BM are two completely different cars. For me, at least, what car I get depends on how I drive. The 3-series (328i Sedan) will make me drive fast, get places quickly, and drift every corner. With the Audi, however, I can drive slowly and comfortably with that torquey 265-HP engine. Also, that 40/60 (Front/Rear) Quattro system is great in bad weather and is equally as impressive in the corners.

Those are not my only two options, however... Take into consideration's Mercedes' C300 Sport and BMW's own 135i and the discison gets even tougher.

By the way, I think both the 3-series Sedan and the new Audi A4 look amazing, I really like the Audi's taillights and overall rear styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Btw, Pimp Star, what'd you end up doing anyways? I forgot a while ago...where you been haha.
Driving my parent's cars... Haha. I am basically deciding between:

- 3.2L Audi A4 (Black on Black with 6MT and S-Line)
- BMW E90 328i (Black on Black with 6MT and Sport's Package)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:57 AM   #29
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Haha, I like talking about what to look at as future cars (as you already know^^ ). Anyways, between the e90 328i, and the A4, I'd honestly be going into the comparison with the A4 being the first pick in mind. I think it looks better than the e90, it's far roomier (aka practical...er), and it's got a great interior. Judging from pics, it looks like the interior will be closely related to the S5's, which is a good thing based off of my experience in an S5.

Sometimes I wonder to myself: is power that necessary? What's better in the longrun, a car that is a great cruiser yet capable of generating grins, or a more sport-oriented driving car that can serve up a somewhat comfy ride when I need it most.

Factor in that the e90 will soon undergo a facelift (I say wait until that point to reserve judgement as to which one's "better"), and it makes the current e90 look a little less tempting.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #30
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah, now that I think about it, the A4 seems to be more in line with the W204 C-Class. You know, luxury with a hint of sportiness, not the other way around. With that in mind, and based merely off of looks and press info, I'd gladly take the A4 without any second guessing over the C.

Regarding the 135i: Impractical as a single car; great as a second/third car. That's how I see it anyhow...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #31
kemiksiz
Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post

I hated it!!

Like I said, I hated it!

Dude, Everyone knowsa 3.0 is a fat ass and does not going fast anywhere !

You should 1.8T + chip if you wanna speed.. Audi was totaly wrong decesion for your demands
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i'll be curious to drive this car....

i've owned two audis. a TTR and a A4 cab.... both beautifully designed inside and out, not terribly exciting cars to drive..

i now have two BMWs, a M roadster and a 325xi... i LOVE driving both. even the 325 puts a grin on my face.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #33
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Haha, I like talking about what to look at as future cars (as you already know^^ ). Anyways, between the e90 328i, and the A4, I'd honestly be going into the comparison with the A4 being the first pick in mind. I think it looks better than the e90, it's far roomier (aka practical...er), and it's got a great interior. Judging from pics, it looks like the interior will be closely related to the S5's, which is a good thing based off of my experience in an S5.

Sometimes I wonder to myself: is power that necessary? What's better in the longrun, a car that is a great cruiser yet capable of generating grins, or a more sport-oriented driving car that can serve up a somewhat comfy ride when I need it most.

Factor in that the e90 will soon undergo a facelift (I say wait until that point to reserve judgement as to which one's "better"), and it makes the current e90 look a little less tempting.
I agree with what you're saying, and I definitely am not in a hurry to buy a car. I'm going to wait for the face-lifted E90 and the new A4. The Mercedes is not really in the same class as the BMW and the Audi, I love Benzes, but, if you are going to drive a Mercedes around it needs to be a big E-Class that you drive around slowly, in comfort. So, that leaves BMW and Audi. The A4 is bigger and has more power, but that means it's less fun in the bends. The 3-series is fast, great in the corners, and I personally like in Exterior styling (Minimalist / Simple) and Interior styling (Spartan / Futuristic / Minimalist). HOWEVER, then there is the 135i to deal with. I am one person, driving to and from school/work so size isn't that big of an issue, and, for roughly $35,000 I could have 300HP and an engine that can easily be tuned to 350+.

I'll probably end up getting a debadged 328i, Sapphire Black with Black Leatherette, Sport Package, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Window Tint and some other minor mods (like non run-flat tires)...

But I'll have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0