M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Will 2021+ ecu's ever get cracked?

04-21-2024, 10:19 AM   #1
Dutt1113
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

Will 2021+ ecu's ever get cracked?

We're going on 3 years now with the 2021+ ecu's still uncracked besides Finland overseas. At this point, it almost seems as if it's not going to happen here in the US. Very disappointing. It's just too risky and too expensive to send your ecu overseas and wait 2-3 weeks for it to get unlocked and sent back. Then for whatever reason, if your ecu gets locked again, you have to start all over. I'm surprised the Finland company doesn't setup a branch here in the US to unlock all the ecu's over here. It would be a big opportunity for them. Until then, we'll just have to use JB4 or Racechip which only yields a gain up to around 600hp while the proper flash tunes can get to 650+hp.
      04-21-2024, 10:25 AM   #2
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

I agree. This is just stupid and silly. This is not making Femto money, it’s actually costing them business.

They could easily either set up shop in the US or sell their “secret” and make much more money. Vast majority of people just aren’t going to be willing to ship out their ECU’s, including myself
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2024, 10:29 AM   #3
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Same here
I would love to have an ECU unlock and tune in the USA
I would have got in a M4 and tune it if they had one
I am not sure why they dont have a shop here
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:58 AM   #4
HelloM8s
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C, 20 F-150 Limited

I've been also patiently waiting. Reason there is no USA unlocks is due to the EPA... They'll crack down on it and give fines that one will never recover from.
There is rumors that Femto is actually owed by Bosch themselves... but it's just a rumor, if someone is going to eventually crack it why not have the manufacturer provide an unlock for now while monetizing.

I'm currently running a JB4 on Map 2 with 2.5 gallons of E85 per fill up.

I do have water meth injection from Burger using their intercooler nozzle adapters on the balance tube and FSB controller. But running small BM7 nozzles as I just want it for the cooling benefit here in Texas summers.
Don't really want to rely on WMI supplementing fuel for HP.

I have full catless downpipes, res delete, dinan inlets and BMC filters.

It's a 22' Gran Coupe Comp with a bit extra weight (21" wheels and Sound system)
Car ran a 10.71 @132 with the JB4 on Map 2 on straight 93 no E mix, no launch control.

It's probably a 10.5X @133-134 car with E20 mix and using launch control with the JB4, but that's really as best as it gets as I don't really like the fact that it fools the IAT's to pull timing.

BUT I FINALLY GAVE IN

My DME's are coming back from Femto now as I type this, they should be here tomorrow.

I shipped them Monday from (Houston, TX) using a DHL Express trailer - They offer 50% off if you use their express trailer locations. Just tell them to use code "Green50" lol. So I paid $140.
I'm about $1960 in with shipping and the cost of the unlock to femto.
+$895 for BM3 license (15 % off if I buy from ABP)
+$1050 for a custom tune.

So this is the timeline:
-Shipped Monday @1PM from Houston TX
-Delivered to Femto Wednesday
-Femto shipped back the same day
-Arrives Friday according to DHL.

So all in all.... 5 days. Pretty impressive.

Main reasons I did it is because I absolutely hate the clapped out sound it makes during cold starts. So I want to disable that.
& I hate having to clear the CEL every 2-3 engine start cycles just so I can remote start.

I'll be getting tuned by ABP (AB Performance) using BM3.
Getting 2 maps
-E40 blend + WMI
-93 oct. + WMI

They have dozens of setups surviving 800whp since he limits torque at low RPM's to keep the connecting rods happy.

Made lots of research on who I'm going with for my tune, so I was debating between the following

-Grigory: Tunes the worlds fastest M5 and M8 from Freehouse but there will be a language barrier.

-HCP: Lots of fast E40 M5/M8's with healthy torque curves but they just have lots of channels... Like HCP.US, HCP.Brazil etc. so unsure which tuner I'll be getting.

-Utkunoa: Well rounded tuner but can be busy, usually leaves them more on the tame side.

-Stimkey: (mostly a B58/S58 tuner) - Holds B58/S58 records

-Pureboost: Good results and good prices. Would just like someone more dedicated to the S63TU engine.

Also have an xHP stage 3 trans tune, but will be getting custom settings from ABP.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 11:41 AM   #5
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloM8s View Post
I've been also patiently waiting. Reason there is no USA unlocks is due to the EPA... They'll crack down on it and give fines that one will never recover from.
There is rumors that Femto is actually owed by Bosch themselves... but it's just a rumor, if someone is going to eventually crack it why not have the manufacturer provide an unlock for now while monetizing.

I'm currently running a JB4 on Map 2 with 2.5 gallons of E85 per fill up.

I do have water meth injection from Burger using their intercooler nozzle adapters on the balance tube and FSB controller. But running small BM7 nozzles as I just want it for the cooling benefit here in Texas summers.
Don't really want to rely on WMI supplementing fuel for HP.

I have full catless downpipes, res delete, dinan inlets and BMC filters.

It's a 22' Gran Coupe Comp with a bit extra weight (21" wheels and Sound system)
Car ran a 10.71 @132 with the JB4 on Map 2 on straight 93 no E mix, no launch control.

It's probably a 10.5X @133-134 car with E20 mix and using launch control with the JB4, but that's really as best as it gets as I don't really like the fact that it fools the IAT's to pull timing.

BUT I FINALLY GAVE IN

My DME's are coming back from Femto now as I type this, they should be here tomorrow.

I shipped them Monday from (Houston, TX) using a DHL Express trailer - They offer 50% off if you use their express trailer locations. Just tell them to use code "Green50" lol. So I paid $140.
I'm about $1960 in with shipping and the cost of the unlock to femto.
+$895 for BM3 license (15 % off if I buy from ABP)
+$1050 for a custom tune.

So this is the timeline:
-Shipped Monday @1PM from Houston TX
-Delivered to Femto Wednesday
-Femto shipped back the same day
-Arrives Friday according to DHL.

So all in all.... 5 days. Pretty impressive.

Main reasons I did it is because I absolutely hate the clapped out sound it makes during cold starts. So I want to disable that.
& I hate having to clear the CEL every 2-3 engine start cycles just so I can remote start.

I'll be getting tuned by ABP (AB Performance) using BM3.
Getting 2 maps
-E40 blend + WMI
-93 oct. + WMI

They have dozens of setups surviving 800whp since he limits torque at low RPM's to keep the connecting rods happy.

Made lots of research on who I'm going with for my tune, so I was debating between the following

-Grigory: Tunes the worlds fastest M5 and M8 from Freehouse but there will be a language barrier.

-HCP: Lots of fast E40 M5/M8's with healthy torque curves but they just have lots of channels... Like HCP.US, HCP.Brazil etc. so unsure which tuner I'll be getting.

-Utkunoa: Well rounded tuner but can be busy, usually leaves them more on the tame side.

-Stimkey: (mostly a B58/S58 tuner) - Holds B58/S58 records

-Pureboost: Good results and good prices. Would just like someone more dedicated to the S63TU engine.

Also have an xHP stage 3 trans tune, but will be getting custom settings from ABP.
I will probably do the same if i go for an new M4 (paul johnson probably)
S58 has more potentional with tuning then our engines amd they are stronger engines less risky
I am still waiting for new M5 to see if i should get it or the M4
Will see in the next couple of months
I also have jb4 map 2 and using e blend with dinan inlet and bmc intakes but no downpipes
I also have similar times but in ny (colder)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:57 PM   #6
Darshan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 sold/ F06 M6 sold/ f93

Sent my ECU to Finland received it back in 2 weeks without any issue.
Appreciate 1