M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Official: Alfa Romeo 4C

06-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #133
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

This kind of information is absolutely misleading and has no correspondence to the reality whatsoever. It's not only a question of simple logical reasoning, I know for a fact how deceiving the 'official' consumption figures can be. When I traded my Cayman for the 1M I quickly found out how much more fuel hungry the 1M is - with its aerodynamics not short of a fridge - in comparison to the Cayman and yet the combined fuel consumption 'official' figures were 9.4 l/100 km for the Cayman and only 9.6 l/100 km for the almost 100 hp more powerful 1M.

Now, the Mercedes A45 AMG announces only 6.9 l/100 km for the same figure from the most powerful 2.0-liter engine ever to be available to the general public that I can remember of, with its 360 hp power output. For this car Mercedes also announces practically the same weight as the 1M, 1555 kg (filled curb weight with fuel tank 90 percent full, driver, 68 kg, and luggage, 7 kg according to Directive 92/21/EC, version 95/48/EC for vehicles with standard equipment.)

And, that's the issue here... Can anyone in his perfect mind believe that the ~1020 kg heavy, only 240 hp powerful from a lower displacement engine and aerodynmically MUCH superior Alfa Romeo 4C has the same fuel consumption, at 6.8 l/100 km for the announced combined fuel consumption figure, than the Mercedes A45 AMG?!

What is happening?! Why are we being treated like persons one sandwich short of a picnic?!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #134
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

A recent US magazine estimated A45 mpg as 14/20, or the same as the V8 E9x M3. If that's true, it's pretty sad for the Benz. I think I've mentioned elsewhere that I pulled off an entire tank in a buddy's STI at 7 mpg without really being terribly aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #135
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Manual?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #136
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Manual?
Not for the Alfa or the MB. DSG only for both.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #137
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Not for the Alfa or the MB. DSG only for both.
What?

That kills the whole purpose of this car. Light weight back to basics drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #138
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What?

That kills the whole purpose of this car. Light weight back to basics drivers car.
A largely carbon fiber, mid engined car with a forced induction four cylinder with direct injection is back to basics? I think you're looking for a BRZ or a Miata.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #139
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
A largely carbon fiber, mid engined car with a forced induction four cylinder with direct injection is back to basics? I think you're looking for a BRZ or a Miata.
Back to basics does not mean no new technology. Many think it is bad the new 911 GT3 has no manual, I think it is bad the 4C has no manual. It is the only thing I really don't like about it. But I could live with the dual clutch.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #140
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Back to basics does not mean no new technology. Many think it is bad the new 911 GT3 has no manual, I think it is bad the 4C has no manual. It is the only thing I really don't like about it. But I could live with the dual clutch.
I agree with you, it's not the deal breaker it would have been for me if it were an automatic or automated single clutch. It would have been an easier decision if a manual were available, but it looks like I won't have to worry about that.

I personally think of the BRZ as back to basics and the 4C as more cutting edge, both have their place, and I'm still torn as to which appeals to me more.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #141
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Oh, I've just remembered one 2.0-liter engine more powerful than the one in the Mercedes A45 AMG with 405 hp that was sold through Ralliart UK... the FQ400 Lancer Evolution VIII. The result, well... a 'little‘ of turbo lag:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #142
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What?

If you want a fuel-efficient car you can't go back to basics except for the LIGHTWEIGHT... that's what the Alfa 4C is all about... Performance, Fun and Fuel-efficiency through lightness wrapped in a beautiful, beautiful package:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #143
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
If you want a fuel-efficient car you can't go back to basics except for the LIGHTWEIGHT... that's what the Alfa 4C is all about... Performance, Fun and Fuel-efficiency through lightness wrapped in a beautiful, beautiful package:
No manual = boring tack car.

Whats the point?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #144
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Back to basics in the sense of a light weight precise driving tool. Yes modern technology is used to get you to that point. But no manual it just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #145
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Back to basics in the sense of a light weight precise driving tool. Yes modern technology is used to get you to that point. But no manual it just ridiculous.
Remember, they're Italians, and Ferrari, Maserati and nearly all Lamborghinis are now devoid of three pedal options. Not saying I agree with it, but it seems every Italian thinks they're an F1 driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #146
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No manual = boring tack car.

Whats the point?
Don't forget to tell that to all F1 drivers or to our kids playing with paddle shifts on the PlayStation... guys, you will soon die of boredom...

It seems that even Porsche couldn't hold to tradition... they managed to keep the ingnition key on the left side of the steering wheel in the new GT3 like Porsche always did but they couldn't avoid the paddle shifts. Hey, maybe they are trying to sell it to the italians...

Lightweight IS your highest guarantee for driving FUN!!!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-25-2013 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #147
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Don't forget to tell that to all F1 drivers or to our kids playing with paddle shifts on the PlayStation... I guys, you will soon die of boredom... [/B]
Oh you got me. The 4C will be going F1 speeds and cornering G's. What a stupid analogy. A lighweight 4 cylinder car should have a manual for involvement...period.

Playstation...lol.

Quote:
It seems that even Porsche couldn't hold to tradition... they managed to keep the ingnition key on the left side of the steering wheel in the new GT3 like Porsche always did but they couldn't avoid the paddle shifts. Hey, maybe they are trying to sell it to the italians...
Manual 991 S with aerokit cup all day long.

Quote:
Lightweight and manual transmission IS your highest guarantee for driving FUN!!!
Fixed
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #148
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Oh you got me. The 4C will be going F1 speeds and cornering G's. What a stupid analogy. A lighweight 4 cylinder car should have a manual for involvement...period.
So, what are you saying?! Paddle shifts are only involving when you reach F1 speeds and cornering G's?!

Paddle shifts are used in F1 only because they are the fastest way FOR THE DRIVER to change between gears around a track.

Paddle shifts are manually operated as the sequential gearboxes in the World Rally Championship cars are where gears are selected in order, and direct access to a specific gear is not possible... WRC cars don't reach as near the speeds or the cornering G's as a F1 car.

Lightweight and paddle shifts or sequential gearboxes are used for performance sake with the added benefit of being more fuel-efficient for the street because the quicker the engagement, the less friction, which means less heat generated and hence less energy losses.

Quote:
Playstation...lol.
Have you ever heard about this?!

"Victory is anyone‘s. GT ACADEMY IS BACK. Last year‘s winner is now a professional driver. This year‘s winner could be you."

You should...

Quote:
We can’t guarantee that those who enter the 2013 Nissan GT Academy will fare as well as Lucas Ordoņez and Jann Mardenborough this weekend at the 24 Hours of Le Mans -- fourth place in class -- but we can guarantee that they’ll learn some race lines and have some fun competing with the best in the world.

This year’s contest begins July 2 when players will be able to download the demo of “Gran Turismo 6” for the PlayStation 3. Qualification ends on July 28, though the demo will still be available.

One winner will be chosen, after a handful of semi-final and final races, from each division. This year the United States, Russia and Germany will get their own competition with another for France, Italy, the UK, Spain, Portugal, Benelux, Nordics (Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway) and CEE (Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia).

Like last year, the qualifying will begin with slow speed cars like the Nissan Leaf and Juke and ramp up to a full lap at the Silverstone Circuit -- a new track in the game -- behind the wheel of a GT-R and a 370Z.

The winner will be put though an intensive racing camp to win the grand prize, a full season racing a Nissan GT-R GT3 Nismo in a top-level championship. It will also get you a spot on the reality series that premiered on the Speed Channel last year.

“NGT Academy is testament to why Gran Turismo is the true racing simulator,” said Asad Qizilbash, senior director of product marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America. “The PlayStation community has proven time and time again that ‘Gran Turismo’s’ racing mechanics translate to the real world of race car driving, with racers who first cut their teeth racing in ‘Gran Turismo’ now competing on the world stage. We encourage gamers of all skill levels to enter the contest, not just to be among the first to play ‘Gran Turismo 6,’ but also for a chance to turn their driving passion into a career in the race world.”
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #149
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Another fake aspect about the Mercedes CLA AMG is its interior carbon fiber trim... and why?! Well, it helps to give the CLA more of a race car image, doesn't it?!

However, if you want the REAL thing in that price bracket, a race car that you can live with on a daily basis, you have no choice but looking into the Alfa Romeo 4C, everything else is either fake, more expensive or both... it's as simple as this :

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-27-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #150
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Just look at what you have to do to try to transform a BMW 1M into a race car... you start precisely by taking out what is probably one of the reasons that would lead you to buy it in the first place - the backseats and the comfortable even heated front seats in a fast car. Why?! Because you are trying to give the car both a proper driving position and the necessary rigidity while you want to make it lighter. Then you add a proper flat bottom steering wheel.

Is it too much to remind you that the Alfa Romeo 4C doesn't come with backseats already, its front seats give you a perfect driving position and support, it has a nice little flat bottom steering wheel and above everything else it has the carbon fiber rigidity and lightweight?!

Oh... and the 4C is faster than you in the track and runs for more laps without having to refuel.

What about the price of all that?! Well... a lot cheaper than the wannabe 1M 'race car', that's for sure!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-27-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #151
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

The power of lightweight (comparatively speaking) and double-clutch gearboxes...

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #152
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #153
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

its almost a perfect car for me.. just hate the insect looking headlight cluster..
      06-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #154
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
its almost a perfect car for me.. just hate the insect looking headlight cluster..
I must be one of the few that actually likes it very much. Anyway, you can read some of the explanations behind the 4C conception:

Appreciate 0